Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

zeoth
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Upgrade Build Boot Issue

Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:14 pm

I need a bit of help.

This is an upgrade build as my old motherboard/mem died so I replaced it.

In doing so, I purchase:
Core i5-4690K
Asus Z97-A
Corsair XMS 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600
Asus BW-12B1ST Blu-ray burner

The Blu-ray burner was not originally on my list but the motherboard only supports SATA and my old DVD burner was IDE.

So I installed everything. I used the default graphics off the motherboard and I used my old 1 TB WD HD that ran Windows 7.

Of course booting up off the HDD it will start to but stop saying there's a problem. After researching, I was told Windows 7 does that because it is not registered to the new MB and I need to re-install with a new key. No problem. I have an extra copy lying around.

Popped the DVD into the new burner, check the BIOS to ensure it's set to boot from the optical drive (the only one I have) first. I can hear it start and the monitor shows black with a __ cursor on the top left. Then after 2 minutes, it tries to boot from the HD again with the same failure to boot.

I went back into the BIOS and chose the option to force it to boot from the optical drive only. Does not work.

What am I doing wrong? I've never had this problem in any of my prior builds before but that was back when I was using IDE drives not SATA. Please help.

zeoth
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Re: Upgrade Build Boot Issue

Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Ok. I figured out one part of it.

Apparently I have to go into the BIOS Easy Wizard and set it to RAID.

Great. Now the Windows 7 64 loads. I ask it to fix... yeah right. Did not work. I ask to install. Now it wants the driver. I have the ASUS Disk but Windows can't find the driver. Where the heck is it? I found a folder in System32 for drivers but it doesn't work.

deruberhanyok
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:30 am

Well, two things comes to mind. The system not booting from the original hard drive wasn't because Windows isn't "registered" to it per se, it's more likely because of a difference in the chipset you're using.

Now, as for why it loads when you set it to "RAID" with only one drive in... that's a bit odd. How was it configured in your old system? The repair mode shouldn't need a driver if it's connected to a standard Intel SATA port. They don't have a second SATA controller on there, so it shouldn't matter what port it's plugged in to.

There should be three options for the SATA operating mode: RAID, AHCI, and IDE (or possibly this last one will be called "legacy" or something like that). Did you try all three?
<3 TR

deruberhanyok
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:42 am

I've just had another thought. That thing with the blinking cursor when trying to boot from the DVD, I"ve seen that before on some systems when the boot mode is set to UEFI.

How old were the parts you replaced? If the BIOS in the new system is set to UEFI but the old one wasn't capable of it, you'll have to change the setting to legacy.
<3 TR

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:44 pm

As I recall setting RAID has the secondary effect of changing the disks to AHCI mode. Set it to AHCI specifically and it should let you reinstall Windows just fine without a driver.

deruberhanyok wrote:
I've just had another thought. That thing with the blinking cursor when trying to boot from the DVD, I"ve seen that before on some systems when the boot mode is set to UEFI.

How old were the parts you replaced? If the BIOS in the new system is set to UEFI but the old one wasn't capable of it, you'll have to change the setting to legacy.

This as well, although legacy should've been the default setting.