Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Gmail sends others' mail 'via' my address

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:33 am

I have an annoying problem with Gmail. I volunteer for a small organization that uses gmail on its site. There was some change recently that is causing the email to get messed up: when people email me at my email address at the org's domain, their mail is sent 'via' my email address. The result is that if I hit 'reply' or 'reply all' to reply to their emails, I end up sending the email to myself, and not to them. Sometimes the original sender's email address is in a special 'reply to' field that I can manually extract, but this is an extra, annoying step.

I do not handle the back end workings of this organization, but the people who do can't seem to solve this problem. Does anyone here know what is going on and how to fix it so that people send me mail via their own address, allowing me to easily reply to them?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Gmail sends others' mail 'via' my address

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:19 am

You normally only get that "sent via" stuff if you've added another email address to a gmail account (ie gone into settings => accounts => send mail as).

I wonder if someone in the org has added your org mail account to his gmail (rather than getting you to delegate your mailbox to him) and is somehow selecting to send from it rather than his normal account.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:32 am

Is the e-mail being generated via a web form? If so, it sounds like the web app is busted. Furthermore, your e-mail client should automatically use the "reply-to" field if it is present. So it sounds like there may actually be *two* broken things here.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:47 am

So if I understand you correctly, when you receive emails, the sender on the received email is always yourself? Is this from everyone, or just a selection of people?

I think JBI might be on the right path - how is it that they email you? I've never encountered a mechanism like this, but I've never managed gmail either. I wonder if you can have your support people escalate it to gmail support?

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:31 am

There is a way in Gmail to add multiple email addresses, but the catch is, the alternate addresses need to added as an alias or the above situation will happen.

Managing 'Send mail as' account behavior with the 'Treat as an alias' setting
https://support.google.com/a/answer/171 ... ser=0&rd=1