Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Internet Keeps getting Disconnected % Reconnected

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:35 pm

Hi,

I have an Internet connection thru a Phone company which uses DSL modem to connect.

For past few weeks my net connection keeps getting disconnected for few seconds & it reconnects automatically.

I asked the service provider & they checked & even replaced some wires but of no help.

Funny thing is that sometimes there seems to be a rhythm where it disconnects for an average of 13 seconds or so plus or minus few seconds, for hours at a time.

I don't know how to attach an image to this post where it shows the pattern of connect & disconnect. I have taken an image using snagit to show the timing pattern. If someone can explain it, I can attach it here.

Thanks

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Internet Keeps getting Disconnected % Reconnected

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:51 pm

I've had issues similar to this twice with my DSL connection. Once it was that my DSL modem was failing. The other time it was a failing piece of equipment on the ISP side. In other words, it sounds like a hardware problem; but there's no easy way to tell whether it is at your end or their end.

Look at the lights on your DSL modem. Do the lights do anything when the outage occurs? If so, what?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:23 pm

Make and model of modem? Are you running a router behind the modem? Is the DSL link actually losing connection? Is there a statistics / diagnostic page in the modem firmware?

Specifics are really needed to help diagnose the problem.

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:51 pm

I am going to try to give as much info as I can.

First yes, I tried tightening of Phone line going into modem as well as DSL line plugging into modem & into system many many times. It doesn't help. Also modem has 4 DSL output ports & I tried switching them but that doesn't help either.

DSL yellow line stays on even when I get disconnected. But there is one more Internet light which is green & Flickers. If my Phone as well as Internet both are dead from phone company's end then still that DSL yellow line stays on but the Green Internet line goes off. I really don't understand much about the difference between this yellow DSL Lite & Green Internet light. Even the lineman doesn't when my net goes down totally from their end. He says since DSL yellow light is on, it is not our problem & I tell him to check all wiring & when it is fixed, the green light flicjers which tells me that now I am connected & I showed him that.

No, I am not running any router.

Is there a statistics / diagnostic page in the modem firmware?
I don't know anything about firmware or how to check it.

Modem brand & Model : ZTE, ZXDSL 531B ( Made in China ) Provided by Phone company. It is about 6 years old now.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:43 am

Do you have more than one PC, and if so does the problem happen on all of them?

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:14 am

The DSL light means that you have a synchronized connection between your DSL modem and the modem in the DSLAM (telco equipment). This means that your modem can talk to the modem on the other end. That is all it means. The implication here is that the connection between you and the telco is good. Wiring is OK, modem is OK, etc. If this light starts blinking it means your modem is trying to re-synchronize with the the DSLAM modem. This would indicate bad equipment on one end or the other, bad wiring in between, or significant interference on the wire. Note that while they travel over the same wire, your phone and DSL signals terminate to different equipment on the telco end. It is entirely possible for one to go out, but not the other.

The green internet light is a network activity indicator. It means that IP traffic is flowing across your DSL connection. It most likely blinks when there is traffic flowing in either direction. If it stops blinking and goes out, that means that no network traffic is passing across your DSL connection. This could be that there is just no traffic at that moment, computers are idle, or it could me that traffic can't flow. This could be your end, or your telco, or your ISP. There should be another light that probably blinks as well. It would light up when you plug the network cable into your modem. It would be the network link and activity light for your side of the modem. It indicates a connection between the network port on your modem and the network port on your computer. It will generally stay lit and blink off when there is traffic. If it is going off at the interval that you loose connectivity then it would imply that the problem is on your side of the network. This could be your computer droping and reconnecting, a bad network card that is resetting, etc. If this light stays solid/blinking normally when you loose connectivity then it is unlikely to be be something in your phsyical network.

Couple of questions. Your description implies that you are using a wired connection between your router and computer. Is that correct? When you say "it disconnects for an average of 13 seconds", are you saying that you have no internet for 13 seconds or that the disconnect/reconnect cycle occurs every 13 seconds? If the former, how frequently does it occur and if the latter, for how long is it down?

--SS

ThatStupidCat
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:36 am

Does the name of your DSL service provider start with an A and end with a T? When their DSL goes out it takes at least 6 hours to get back up. :evil:
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:11 am

A couple yeas ago I had a DSL modem that died in a funky way. It seemed (visually) to be working fine, but the connection would drop in and out periodically, and more interestingly, it must have been faulting out the phone line because the dial tone disappeared for nearly two weeks prior. Initially I thought there was a telco issue or local wiring problem, but wasn't motivated to chase it down because the land line hadn't been used in months and I was already thinking about dropping that part of the service.

Then the modem finally stopped connecting to DSL altogether and threw a bunch of "I'm dead, Jim" lights, and proved to be the actual cause -- as soon as it was disconnected, the dial tone returned, and the replacement modem worked fine on the same wall jack.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:17 am

Is your computer connecting to the modem via ethernet or wireless. Usually to get into the modems settings, you would openup your browser and type the IP address of the modem/router ie 192.168.1.1 / 192.168.0.1 / or what ever it is.

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:55 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
The DSL light means that you have a synchronized connection between your DSL modem and the modem in the DSLAM (telco equipment). This means that your modem can talk to the modem on the other end. That is all it means. The implication here is that the connection between you and the telco is good. Wiring is OK, modem is OK, etc. If this light starts blinking it means your modem is trying to re-synchronize with the the DSLAM modem. This would indicate bad equipment on one end or the other, bad wiring in between, or significant interference on the wire. Note that while they travel over the same wire, your phone and DSL signals terminate to different equipment on the telco end. It is entirely possible for one to go out, but not the other.

The green internet light is a network activity indicator. It means that IP traffic is flowing across your DSL connection. It most likely blinks when there is traffic flowing in either direction. If it stops blinking and goes out, that means that no network traffic is passing across your DSL connection. This could be that there is just no traffic at that moment, computers are idle, or it could me that traffic can't flow. This could be your end, or your telco, or your ISP. There should be another light that probably blinks as well. It would light up when you plug the network cable into your modem. It would be the network link and activity light for your side of the modem. It indicates a connection between the network port on your modem and the network port on your computer. It will generally stay lit and blink off when there is traffic. If it is going off at the interval that you loose connectivity then it would imply that the problem is on your side of the network. This could be your computer droping and reconnecting, a bad network card that is resetting, etc. If this light stays solid/blinking normally when you loose connectivity then it is unlikely to be be something in your phsyical network.

Couple of questions. Your description implies that you are using a wired connection between your router and computer. Is that correct? When you say "it disconnects for an average of 13 seconds", are you saying that you have no internet for 13 seconds or that the disconnect/reconnect cycle occurs every 13 seconds? If the former, how frequently does it occur and if the latter, for how long is it down?

--SS

First I want to Thank You for an excellent explanation. Please accept my gratitude.

The Answers your questions :

Yes, I am using a wired connection even though it has a wireless feature.

I gave you an average of 13 seconds based on what it showed in my chat client. And I noticed that it takes few seconds after my net goes down to show up in my chat client that it is down. So I exactly can't say how long the actual internet is down but after starring at the modem, it sounds to be the same. And most importantly all my other programs like stock prices, email, simple Google home page etc goes down along with chat so I know the net is down. To top it, the DSL yellow light & Green Internet light goes off too. So for sure I know that my net is down.

" There should be another light that probably blinks as well. It would light up when you plug the network cable into your modem. It would be the network link and activity light for your side of the modem. It indicates a connection between the network port on your modem and the network port on your computer. It will generally stay lit and blink off when there is traffic. If it is going off at the interval that you loose connectivity then it would imply that the problem is on your side of the network. "

I am not sure which light you are talking about but I think it must be the Yellow & Green Light on back of my Modem & I have not observed that to give you any idea but I will now do so.

I did find a link that shows the photos of front & back part of my Modem/Router especially the back where there is phone line in + 4 WLAN ports & Power port. In front everything is similar except instead of Ethernet, it says WLAN as the fourth light.

https://www.google.com/search?q=photos+ ... Finternet-
equipment-services%252Fzte-zxdsl-531b-r4035759.html%3B500%3B375

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:57 am

ThatStupidCat wrote:
Does the name of your DSL service provider start with an A and end with a T? When their DSL goes out it takes at least 6 hours to get back up. :evil:

Sorry but No. It starts with B & ends with L.

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:59 am

ludi wrote:
A couple yeas ago I had a DSL modem that died in a funky way. It seemed (visually) to be working fine, but the connection would drop in and out periodically, and more interestingly, it must have been faulting out the phone line because the dial tone disappeared for nearly two weeks prior. Initially I thought there was a telco issue or local wiring problem, but wasn't motivated to chase it down because the land line hadn't been used in months and I was already thinking about dropping that part of the service.

Then the modem finally stopped connecting to DSL altogether and threw a bunch of "I'm dead, Jim" lights, and proved to be the actual cause -- as soon as it was disconnected, the dial tone returned, and the replacement modem worked fine on the same wall jack.

I did exactly the same thing. I removed the splitter that gives me two lines, one for Internet & the other for Phone line. I disconnected the phone line because I wasn't using it but that did not help.

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:00 am

Deanjo wrote:
Is your computer connecting to the modem via ethernet or wireless. Usually to get into the modems settings, you would openup your browser and type the IP address of the modem/router ie 192.168.1.1 / 192.168.0.1 / or what ever it is.

Via Ethernet.

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:02 am

just brew it! wrote:

I have only one PC.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:06 pm

dan99t wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I have only one PC.

OK, then it is possible the problem is with the PC, not the DSL line. To figure out if this is the case, you need to either borrow another PC to try on your DSL connection, or try using your PC on a wired Internet connection that doesn't go through your DSL line.

Proxicon
Gerbil

Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:30 pm

Try a new modem.

SecretSquirrel

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:50 am

dan99t wrote:
I gave you an average of 13 seconds based on what it showed in my chat client. And I noticed that it takes few seconds after my net goes down to show up in my chat client that it is down. So I exactly can't say how long the actual internet is down but after starring at the modem, it sounds to be the same. And most importantly all my other programs like stock prices, email, simple Google home page etc goes down along with chat so I know the net is down. To top it, the DSL yellow light & Green Internet light goes off too. So for sure I know that my net is down.

dan99t wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:
"There should be another light that probably blinks as well. It would light up when you plug the network cable into your modem. It would be the network link and activity light for your side of the modem. It indicates a connection between the network port on your modem and the network port on your computer. It will generally stay lit and blink off when there is traffic. If it is going off at the interval that you loose connectivity then it would imply that the problem is on your side of the network.

I am not sure which light you are talking about but I think it must be the Yellow & Green Light on back of my Modem & I have not observed that to give you any idea but I will now do so.

On the back of the modem you have the ports marked LAN1, LAN2, LAN3, and LAN4. Each has two lights, a green and a yellow. The green is most likely the link light that says there is a good connection between the modem and your computer. It would be the one that blinked when there was network activity. The yellow is probably a speed indicator that will light up if the LAN connection is running at 100Mbps. Please watch these indicators and see if they go off when you loose internet access.

It is starting to sound, to me, like the modem is resetting itself. If the LAN indicator lights go out when you loose internet then it is very likely the modem is resetting. Another test you can do is to ping the modem. I'm going to assume that you are running Windows XP. The instructions that follow will be written based on that assumption. If you are running something else, adjust accordingly.

1) Open a command prompt

Start->Run: type cmd then hit enter.

2) Determine the IP address of the router. Type the following.

ipconfig /all

You are looking for two lines. One will say "IP Address". This is the address of your computer. It will probably be 192.168.1.?, where the ? is some number between 2 and 254. Don't worry if it is something else. The second line you are looking for will say "Default Gateway". This will be the address of your router. My guess is that it will be 192.168.1.1, but it could be something different. The first three octets (the numbers between the periods) will match those of your computer address.

3) Ping your router. Run the following command.

ping -t -w 1000 192.168.1.1.

Replace the 192.168.1.1 with the address of your router (the default gateway line above), if it is something different. This command will print output approximate once per second. When thing are working, you will get output that looks similar to this.

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

Let it run until your internet goes down. You may start seeing it output this.

Request timed out.
Request timed out.

If you get the request timed out coincident with your internet connection going away, then you need to get a new router as this one is rebooting very frequently. If you continue to get the "Reply from..." messages when your internet goes down, then the problem is between the modem and the telco equipment on the other end of your line. The problem could still be in your modem or it could be on the telco end. It will be a bit harder to track down. My money is on your modem rebooting though.

dan99t wrote:
Sorry but No. It starts with B & ends with L.

The BSNL Broadband page has a color scheme the likes of which I have not seen since the early days of Geocities.... :o

--SS

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:18 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
The BSNL Broadband page has a color scheme the likes of which I have not seen since the early days of Geocities.... :o

It even comes complete with badly compressed, pixelated JPEG images!

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:21 am

Just want to let everyone know that I am trying everything. I really appreciate your support.

SecretSquirrel

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:03 pm

dan99t wrote:
Just want to let everyone know that I am trying everything. I really appreciate your support.

Once I figured out where you were, the turn around time in responses made sense. You get used to a two day cycle if you frequently deal with folks half a world away. Just hope you can track down the culprit in the end.

--SS

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:13 pm

IF you can, you into the DSL modem itself (sometimes 192.168.1.254), and see what the THEIR gateway is in on their end. Pinging the inside interface of the DSL modem from your LAN merely proves you have local connectivity to the modem. First, ping BEYOND the gatway, and see if the packets start failing. Then, run a tracert to a web site like , say google.com, and see if you notice timeouts .

Also, look at the logs in your modem, and see if it mentions disconnects or timeouts between the the outside interface of the modem, from it to either the DSLAM or the CO. Make note of the SNR on the DSL line, as well. Valuable info to the support team. Could indicate a faulty splitter, or failing line card in the DSLAM/SLC.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:17 pm

BSNL, hmmmm India. From the people I talk to (who are from there) that's normal for there unfortunately, but good luck though. Crappy internet is no fun indeed.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

fiddler
Gerbil In Training

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:07 pm

Google M Lab network diagnostic test.I'm not allowed to post links yet I had to create a new account as I can't get into my old one for some reason.panthal was my previous username.Any who...

you can run this diagnostic test just to see what it would say just for the hell of it

ask your phone company to run a noise test on the line,although I doubt it is that but you never know.

as other people have said it could be your modem slowly dying.funny thing is I actually saw a huge ant nest in the NID cause an issue like that(I'll try to find the picture as it looked insane lol).NID being the box outside the lines comes in.If you have a laptop and a long extension cord you could actually plug in at the NID to rule out your house wiring.extension cord being for the modem.

it's been years and years since I had Dsl but you could ask the phone company to put you on a less aggressive sync profile and see if that helps, I forget the exact term for that.good luck with it.if the telephone infrastructure in your area is really old you may have a hard time getting it fixed.

Edit** I forgot to ask but do you have a new or existing cordless phone anywhere near the modem or a microwave?do you have a home alarm system that uses that same phone line?you could try moving all of that if they are close to the modem and temporarily disconnect the home alarm system.do not forget to hook it back up!!!!!!!I have also seen bad DSL filters do odd things.I had a one month stint as a DSL technician. terrible job lol.
sorry for any typos and punctuation I'm terrible at typing on my phone