Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

getting ready to disassemble PC to install RAM and CPU Coole

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:41 pm

Since I have to take my entire motherboard out to install my Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (forgot about needing to install the bracket on the backside of the mobo), I figured it was high time to a good, thorough cleaning.

Obviously I'm gonna get several can of compressed air, but would a soft makeup brush (like the kind ladies apply blush with) be good to lightly dust the PCB components? I don't want to accidently bend a capacitor or anything. Any suggestions on what to use in conjunction with the cans o' air to get the pcbs super-clean?

And one other thing, I was watching a video on installing the 212 EVO, and the guy mentioned using low profile RAM, since RAM with heat spreaders could hit the fan. Think I could install the cooler and fan facing the opposite direction or will I run the risk of the fan hitting the heat speaders on the Voltage regulators (I've got an Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3)? I've got 2 sticks of corsair vengeance already installed, and two more on the way. Think I'll be screwed until I can save up, and buy 2 8GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance, and just use them in 2 slots, instead of populating all 4 with 4GB sticks?

Thanks in advance, and I hope ya'll will have good news... :/

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: getting ready to disassemble PC to install RAM and CPU C

Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:53 pm

I would be concerned about the brush hairs producing static electricity.

Do some actual measurements on the board and find out for real (you are taking the stuff out anyways). You can move the fan to the back of the heatsink if it is just the fan that may be hitting your RAM heatsinks. Unless you have a really tight board, this should be about all you need to do.

And next time, don't be lured by those relatively useless RAM heatsinks. Get some regular stuff. ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:57 pm

Yeah, a makeup brush isn't going to dislodge anything, but static buildup could be a concern. Unless you've got especially nasty/sticky buildup (smoker in the house?), just the compressed air should be fine.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
just the compressed air should be fine.
Or if you want more POWER, there is always this. ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:19 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, a makeup brush isn't going to dislodge anything, but static buildup could be a concern. Unless you've got especially nasty/sticky buildup (smoker in the house?), just the compressed air should be fine.

No smokers. Just light dust build up. It's a shame the heatsink/fan can't be oriented down, since there's plenty of room between it and my video card. If I could position it in the opposite direction than the guy in the video, it would be aimed right at the rear exhaust fan, anyway, The way he installed it, it's just blowing hot air onto the DIMMS, and the front of the case.

Flying Fox wrote:
Or if you want more POWER, there is always this. ;)

HAHAHA!!! That's awesome! :D

*EDIT*

I'm gonna wait to do this until the extra RAM shows up, since I have to take the whole computer apart (I forgot about having to install a bracket on the back of the mobo). Worst case, I stick with the 8GB I have, since they are in slots 2 and 4, so the one closest to the cooler is free. If newegg would be willing to take back an unopened pam of RAM, and give me store credit, I'll just save up for 2 8GB DIMMS, instead of the 4 4GB sticks I'll have soon.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Bumping this, so y'all see it:

I forgot to thanks you folks for warning against using the brushes, so I want to apologize! I didn't even think about possible static buildup. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I don't care what anyone else says, I think y'all are awesome! ;)

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:42 pm

The fine folks at the hyper cooler forum stated I can attach the fan to the opposite side, to avoid the DIMM height issue, so it looks like I'm good to go. Well, whenever newegg decides to shipping the dang package. 3 day shipping, my fanny. Looks like I'll be waiting until monday before I take the frankenbeast apart and and install the DIMMS and the Hyper 212 EVO.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Unless you're trying to make it so clean it looks brand-new for photography reasons, don't bother; Getting those last few microns of dust off your heatsinks isn't going to be worth it, because they'll have reappeared again within a few days of use.

Just squirt compressed air at the heatsinks to dislodge any dust bunnies and call it good. Anything shiny will be covered in a thin layer of dust soon enough, and over-agressive cleaning can only do harm.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:07 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Unless you're trying to make it so clean it looks brand-new for photography reasons, don't bother; Getting those last few microns of dust off your heatsinks isn't going to be worth it, because they'll have reappeared again within a few days of use.

Just squirt compressed air at the heatsinks to dislodge any dust bunnies and call it good. Anything shiny will be covered in a thin layer of dust soon enough, and over-agressive cleaning can only do harm.

My existing can o' compressed air is only 3/4 full, so I'm gonna grab another, and just use those. I'm just still delighted I can attach the cooler fan on the opposite side, so I don't have to worry about DIMM clearance issues.

Wish NewEgg would hurry up and ship the RAM already. I ordered it yesterday morning, and it's still in "Packing" when I checkde my order status a few minutes ago (and I ordered it from them, NOT their marketplace sellers). Looks like I wasted $6 on 3 day shipping...

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:32 pm

Side note: If you're a Costco member (or know someone who is) get your cans of compressed gas dusters there. Yeah, you've gotta buy something like a 5 year supply in bulk. But the cost per can is a fraction of what it is at most other places. Unless you plan to stop cleaning the innards of your PCs a year or two from now it is worth it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Side note: If you're a Costco member (or know someone who is) get your cans of compressed gas dusters there. Yeah, you've gotta buy something like a 5 year supply in bulk. But the cost per can is a fraction of what it is at most other places. Unless you plan to stop cleaning the innards of your PCs a year or two from now it is worth it.

I'm not a member, but I'm good friends with someone who is. Thanks for the heads up! I'll get them to pick some up for me. I doubt the DIMMS are gonna show up before Monday or Tuesday, as slow as NewEgg is being. Unless UPS counts saturday as a business day (which I highly doubt).

climatepete
Gerbil

Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:24 pm

Cooler & fans: surely you are not going to blow hot air right onto your ram and other delicate components?

Or if you reverse the fan you will need, I think, to remove and re-stick those little rubber pads that make it fit just right. Will they re-stick?

You should have what you need for a second fan. What I did was set the ram-side fan up higher than the lowest heat fins and put a pulling fan on the other side to move air from down low out the back of the case.

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:45 pm

climatepete wrote:
Cooler & fans: surely you are not going to blow hot air right onto your ram and other delicate components?

Or if you reverse the fan you will need, I think, to remove and re-stick those little rubber pads that make it fit just right. Will they re-stick?

You should have what you need for a second fan. What I did was set the ram-side fan up higher than the lowest heat fins and put a pulling fan on the other side to move air from down low out the back of the case.

The little rubber pads attach to the clip that the fan attaches with. I was told by someone on the coolermaster forums that I could install the fan on the opposite side, away from the DIMMs. I'm going to dry fit everything first, before installing it. Worst case, I just try to return the 2 DIMMs I'm waiting on unopened, and see if they'll give me credit to put towards buying 2 8GB DIMMs instead.

The manual also mentions that you can install a second fan on it for a push/pull config, which I may end up doing, if I have to replace the DIMMs, anyway.

Watch the video I linked, and you can see the guy aim the fan right over his low-profile DIMMs. That's what got me a little concerned, since mine are rather tall.

*EDIT*

Forgot to quote what they told me at the cooler master forum:

"Mount the fan on the other side of the heat sink such that it PULLS air through and sends it to the back of the case.. :-) "

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:19 am

When I had a TJ08E case, I ran the CPU fan in a pull configuration - same airflow directed towards the rear case fans, but no DIMM clearance issues(or in my case, 5.25" SATA hotswap bay clearance issues).

The difference in processor temperatures between push and pull configurations weren't obvious on my 4.5GHz overclock. I'd guess some fans are better than others but try it and see if it works.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.