Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: dymt reloaded

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:12 am

Coworker has 3 young kids (under 10) and has chosen not to vaccinate any of them. Not lookin to debate, I'm just speechless.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:41 am

The Egg wrote:
Coworker has 3 young kids (under 10) and has chosen not to vaccinate any of them. Not lookin to debate, I'm just speechless.

And if anyone wants to debate this, please feel free to start it up in R&P, just not here.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:48 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... omers.html

I'm not seeing any future slowdown in his traffic.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:59 pm

I don't dispute that some people may be allergic to MSG; pick practically anything that people eat or drink, and someone somewhere will be allergic to it. But in the case of MSG, it is almost certainly a very small percentage. It isn't present in just Chinese/Asian food; a quite large percentage of processed food contains it too. And y'know what? It just makes food taste better. FWIW I don't go out of my way to avoid it, but we also do not keep a shaker of it next to the salt like we did at home when I was a kid!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:35 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I don't dispute that some people may be allergic to MSG; pick practically anything that people eat or drink, and someone somewhere will be allergic to it. But in the case of MSG, it is almost certainly a very small percentage. It isn't present in just Chinese/Asian food; a quite large percentage of processed food contains it too. And y'know what? It just makes food taste better. FWIW I don't go out of my way to avoid it, but we also do not keep a shaker of it next to the salt like we did at home when I was a kid!

One of my neighbors is allergic to It. I am talking in bed sick the next day if she eats it. It took her years to figure out what was causing it but once she cut out all MSG her problems vanished. A lot of bottled salad dressing flavors have it in them.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:43 pm

Hance wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

One of my neighbors is allergic to It. I am talking in bed sick the next day if she eats it. It took her years to figure out what was causing it but once she cut out all MSG her problems vanished. A lot of bottled salad dressing flavors have it in them.

That sucks, given its ubiquity. On a related note, I know someone who is allergic to corn (a pretty rare sensitivity, apparently). Given how commonly corn oil and corn syrup are used in the food and beverage industry, it is probably about as hard to avoid as MSG.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:22 am

I am sick of origin stories. Tired of them. In fact I wish MEU and DC would stop with them. Yes there are a few cases where an Origin story needs to be told, e.g. Guardians of the Galaxy. But dang it to hell how many rehashes do we need on Batman?

We do not need Origin stories on : Batman, Superman, Spiderman, X-men, Wolverine, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Green lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman, Captain America, TMNT, Daredevil, G.I. Joe, etc, etc, etc. If you don't know the Origin of these then go look at wikipedia or any DC/Marvel online encyclopedia.

And while I am on my box.....Please STOP with the time travel. It does not make a story/move/tv show any more interesting.

(BTW blame Gotham for my rant 8) )
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

superjawes

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:35 am

Quick question: is Gotham any good?

But I do agree that we don't need origins for some-several super heroes. Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man are 100% known...we don't ever need to see their origins in film ever again. Several super heroes could probably use an explanation for why they're here doing what they're doing (like Wonder Woman and Thor), but that isn't really an "origins" story. If you must show an origin, try something a little more clever. Tim Burton's Batman did this nicely. Batman had already been established in Gotham, and they only referenced his origins in flashbacks.

I think you could make a case for putting some origins on film, if general audiences aren't that familiar with them (or if there are multiple versions of the same character). I still want these origins to be done well, though (and we don't have to start at the very beginning).
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:40 am

Is Gotham good. Well that's the million dollar question. It's Ok as in its not bad. In terms of Agents of Shield, Its not as hokey as AoS started off as. AoS got better as the season wore on.

But lets be truthful about Gotham. Its on Fox. It might last 1 season or 2-3. But will it last 7-10 seasons? Probably not. In fact my money is on that it lasts only one.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:41 am

superjawes wrote:
Quick question: is Gotham any good?
For a pilot, it wasn't bad. It felt a little bit forced and disjointed from time-to-time, but other than that I enjoyed it and I'm definitely looking forward to more.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

superjawes

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:09 am

tanker27 wrote:
Is Gotham good. Well that's the million dollar question. It's Ok as in its not bad. In terms of Agents of Shield, Its not as hokey as AoS started off as. AoS got better as the season wore on.

But lets be truthful about Gotham. Its on Fox. It might last 1 season or 2-3. But will it last 7-10 seasons? Probably not. In fact my money is on that it lasts only one.

Fox wrote:
What? This series didn't immediately make us a GAJILLION dollars?!? Cancel!

Sounds about right...I haven't had a chance to watch Agents of Shield either, but overall it sounds like it's worth watching.

EDIT: I normally don't watch TV, and the few shows I do watch (like Doctor Who) are always after the initial air date (usually when they show up on Amazon/Netflix). The same was true of The Blacklist, which I picked up a couple weeks ago...then I missed the first episode of Season 2 :lol:

Still, looking forward to catching up on that.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:13 am

The next crew to launch to ISS in November is formally known as "Expedition 42". Since astronauts/cosmonauts tend to be aware of sci-fi and odd British comedy, they fully understand the import of the number 42.

http://www.space.com/27275-space-statio ... guide.html

Don't Panic.

EDIT: More craziness here: http://www.space.com/26-snoopy-sci-fi-n ... sters.html

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:28 am

Hance wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

My girlfriend in college was allergic to it. I ended up getting hold of Cosco who provided most of the ingredients for the cafeteria and deciphering what to avoid from their ingredients list.

BIF

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:08 am

I don't watch Gotham, so I don't know which rant of which you speak.
tanker27 wrote:
...Please STOP with the time travel. It does not make a story/move/tv show any more interesting.

But I agree with you wholeheartedly about time travel. It's LAZY storytelling.
Yes, I'm calling most of the last 10 Star Trek movies lazy.
Yes, I'm calling Hollywood lazy.

And while I'm on MY box...the "sit" in "sitcom" no longer means "situation". To me it means "sit". Because most of them are just SITTING around "the couch". Every sitcom has a couch. Where they sit. And blab their unfunny lines. Boring!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:17 pm

Ugh. Just got paid a visit by a door-to-door Comcast drone. There were about 8 people banging on doors in my neighborhood today trying to get people who (like us) switched to the local fiber-to-the-home provider. The guy was nice enough but kind of pushy. I told him it wasn't just a matter of price - we pay roughly what we paid with comcast. But there are plenty of other reasons we dumped Comcast (Netflix at 384p, their corporate politics and lobbying, anti-competitive behavior, the night-and-day difference dealign with iTV-3 support vs. Comcast, etc.) and I have no intention of going back.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

The Egg

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:22 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Ugh. Just got paid a visit by a door-to-door Comcast drone. There were about 8 people banging on doors in my neighborhood today trying to get people who (like us) switched to the local fiber-to-the-home provider. The guy was nice enough but kind of pushy. I told him it wasn't just a matter of price - we pay roughly what we paid with comcast. But there are plenty of other reasons we dumped Comcast (Netflix at 384p, their corporate politics and lobbying, anti-competitive behavior, the night-and-day difference dealign with iTV-3 support vs. Comcast, etc.) and I have no intention of going back.

Yeah. Sadly, nothing of what you said will be recorded or reported back to anyone with the ability to make a difference. The salesman was only interested in hitting his quota and nothing more.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:49 pm

I wish it'd be recorded if only so they don't bother me anymore.

And you're right, he didn't take notes. He didn't even have a notepad or a piece of paper to write on. It was strictly about sales. I just said what it took to get rid of him.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:48 pm

An obituary I'd be proud to die for, courtesy of Ann Althouse. I'm sure it was the shorts-hating that got her attention:

http://althouse.blogspot.com/2014/09/he ... sauce.html

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:09 pm

I'm about to show Lowe's one of the most epic rage quits ever seen.

It's time to refinish the exterior doors, so we amble off to Lowe's, pick some nice paint, and get a Wagner airless sprayer. I follow the instructions to the letter. I mix that paint with my cordless drill widget until it looks like perfect & smooth tomato bisque (which is 99% of the color we're aiming for). Warm up the gun, spray some paint against the tree to make sure there's no chunks. Start painting and chunks everywhere (on lowest volume and lowest pressure). I think the sounds of my anger were heard 3 counties over. Higher volume/pressure just makes the chunks bigger.

Even worse, fully covering the door with a layer of paint of which I'll be sanding off 90% or so takes but 5 minutes. Took me 30 minutes to finally clear that stupid thing of all vestiges of paint. SWHBO might not be fully on board with the color choices, but this job WILL be finished by Krylon. The back door (south-facing so gets massive sun) sported 2 coats of Krylon for about 15 years before the first paint damage was noted.

The disembodied Wagner parts now sit in a USPS mail bin in the garage. Should you have reason to pass my driveway it's yours for the asking.

Hopefully the mess is dry by now, as my front door is on sawhorses in the front yard and I've not got a screen door for the front entry. Dog is happier than Augustus Gluck in a chocolate factory. Inside cat is all WTF!!.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:25 am

Started sanding and the damn paint just peeled right off, so another trip to Lowe's for chemical stripper. This baby will be down to the primer by the time I get done with it.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:36 pm

Never have tried any paint from Lowe's. I've worked with a few poor-quality paints in the past and that experience convinced me to go high-dollar when doing my own place. I went with Behr (Home Depot) when I renovated the master suite, and that stuff went up perfectly. I've used Sherwin Williams a couple times with good results, and friends report good experiences with Benjamin Moore (available at Ace Hardware).
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:45 pm

ludi wrote:
Never have tried any paint from Lowe's. I've worked with a few poor-quality paints in the past and that experience convinced me to go high-dollar when doing my own place. I went with Behr (Home Depot) when I renovated the master suite, and that stuff went up perfectly. I've used Sherwin Williams a couple times with good results, and friends report good experiences with Benjamin Moore (available at Ace Hardware).

This was Valspar and it was NOT cheap. Sad that a $4.49 rattle can of Rustoleum can lay down a better gloss finish than $48/gallon paint and a $109 sprayer.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:44 pm

If you want the mother of all weatherproofing, start with a hand-brushed (or rolled) coat of Rust-Oleum out of the quart-sized can. In step two, wait a couple weeks until the oil-based paint is cured to final hardness, then give it a light surface sanding with 60 or 100-grit until surface imperfections and shine are just barely deleted. Step 3: 1-2 coats of whatever spray can suits your fancy.

Just got through experimenting with this approach on a 2x2' sheet of plywood for a hobby project, and the results are good.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:11 am

I ordered an item from Amazon. It wasn't from Amazon proper but one of their Marketplace sellers. The item was only 9 bucks but my wife need it as fast as possible. Since it was from a third party it wasn't Prime eligible so I paid for two day shipping. Shipping was more than the item itself at this point. I get the invoice and it states delivery by 24 SEP. Well ok.

It didn't arrive until the 26th. 4 days worth of shipping.

Of course I get sent an email from Amazon wanting to review its marketplace seller. So I did, stated the facts and gave the seller a middle of the road star rating, a three to be exact.

Now I get an email from the seller, in a nutshell he will reimburse me the difference from two day shipping and standard ONLY if I remove the review. Uhh WUT?

I get $6 bucks back only if I remove the review. I'm thinking to myself that this is not how this works. At this point I just want to throw up another review give him one star and post the email. (I probably wont do this) I just may forgo the 6 bucks and let the review stand.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:36 am

Can you knock down your current review of the seller? That's the kind of important information that people should know before buying from someone.

I would only accept the "take down review for $6" conditions if there was a legitimate mix-up, and the extra shipping time was caused by miscommunication or something beyond your or the seller's control.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:18 am

I would amend my review if at all possible to list the "bribery", and if that isn't possible then I'd let the review stand.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:33 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I would amend my review if at all possible to list the "bribery", and if that isn't possible then I'd let the review stand.

Amazon is wonky about its reviews. Once one is up you can only delete them. Of course you can add another review. But yeah his email was a bribe for a good review.

superjawes wrote:
I would only accept the "take down review for $6" conditions if there was a legitimate mix-up, and the extra shipping time was caused by miscommunication or something beyond your or the seller's control.

And that's why I gave him a three. It is entirely possible it wasn't his fault but that of UPS. But its not like I gave him 1 star. I got the item and it works. /shrug

But still his email bribe is what really bothers me. I understand some of these sellers make a living being a part of Amazon's Marketplace but they need to understand the level of trust between the buyer and the seller. By no means did I state anything but the fact. I didn't opine about the seller. (like I didnt say do do business with this guy or anything) If anything he should have just offered up the refund without saying anything about the review. And then maybe after about a week, once the refund has cleared, sent another email asking about the review......maybe. Just to be sure I was reading the email right I let my wife and another friend read to make absolute sure that I wasn't inferring anything wrong. But just as derFunk said he was bribing me.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

superjawes

Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:56 am

One more clarification...are we talking about a review of the item, or feedback on the seller? I assume feedback on the seller, but it's worth making sure...

If you're okay without the $6, I say go ahead and leave it. Otherwise, I don't think you'd be in the wrong to take down the review, get the refund, then post a new review that includes this bribery nonsense. I personally wouldn't want to deal with a seller that tries to game the feedback system.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:39 am

Bah, sorry I did make is sound ambiguous, feedback of the seller NOT a review of the item.

I am going to leave it up and forgo the 6 bucks. (like I said I got the item and it works) However, I am going to email the seller back and state I didn't appreciate the bribe and see what he says. Maybe, by chance, he didn't mean for the email to come out that way.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:13 pm

Ouch. The dude we've all seen body-slammed by a coach at an Ohio State game was there on scholarship. He just lost that.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... cholarship

Son, there's times to stop drinkin'.