Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Re: TR Baseball 2014

Fri May 30, 2014 10:02 am

Encarnacion and Puig have made my May.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:14 am

I'm just grabbing all the big name "can't-miss" mid-season call-ups and hoping someone catches fire.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:01 pm

Does anyone want AJ Burnett? I'm done with him. He gets shelled one outing, so I sit him and he throws a gem. OK, I start him next time and he gets shelled again. Time for a divorce,
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:39 pm

I hates hobbitses. Oops, I meant dead teams. Royals, I'm looking at you, with a last login of March 7th and 3 players on the DL in your starting lineup.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:23 pm

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v34196007

75th of Lou Gehrig's speech spoken by all the starting 1Bs. Don't talk to me about Jeter, if anyone knows tradition it's him.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:56 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
all the starting 1Bs.
All the starting 1Bs... and Justin Smaok. (As for Jeter, he is Gehrig's successor in many ways, and not just as team captain. Gehrig was the first to have his number retired; Jeter's #2 will be the last of the single-digits. And he's almost certain to join Gehrig in the HoF eventually.)

In TR baseball news, I woke up this morning to discover I suddenly own most of Oakland's starting rotation.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:51 am

When I look at my roster, I just feel like its a better team than the record indicates......

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:22 am

I feel the same about mine but it's easy to forget there are only 8 teams, and so everyone's rosters are stacked.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:13 am

OK, I get it that injuries are a part of the game. But this is just silly

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:26 am

idchafee wrote:

Ugh.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:03 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
idchafee wrote:

Ugh.

OMFG are you kidding me! I log in the morning, Morneau and Tulowitski are DL, so I dig around and find some replacements. Log in just now and see that since this morning, Zimmerman is on the DL!!! WTF!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:43 pm

Everyone is hurt. It's kind of depressing.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:26 am

6 guys on the DL, and I don't feel like I can cut any of them

Ryan Zimmerman
Justin Morneau
Troy Tulowitzki
Brandon Phillips
Joe Mauer
CJ Wilson

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:00 pm

Not fantasy baseball-related, but the funniest sim-style runs I've ever read about. In the style of Breaking Madden it's the Clone League:

http://www.fangraphs.com/not/dangerous- ... dam-dunns/

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:05 am

It's the semi finals! Good luck to those still in it (which I guess is everyone since there's consolation matches to the end). I was mildly surprised to find out I was still in it - I was losing on Friday afternoon.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:14 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
It's the semi finals! Good luck to those still in it (which I guess is everyone since there's consolation matches to the end). I was mildly surprised to find out I was still in it - I was losing on Friday afternoon.

Wasn't even aware it was playoff time but am happy to find I'm still alive.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:37 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Not fantasy baseball-related, but the funniest sim-style runs I've ever read about. In the style of Breaking Madden it's the Clone League:

http://www.fangraphs.com/not/dangerous- ... dam-dunns/

That is hilarious, almost makes me want to buy that baseball simulation they refer to "Out of the Park 2015".

mattshwink
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:53 am

If you love baseball history, what-ifs, or just baseball history, OOTP is an amazing sim. Interesting, it is written by a gentleman in Germany. I have owned every version since OOTP 5. There are even online leagues you can join.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:09 pm

mattshwink wrote:
If you love baseball history, what-ifs, or just baseball history, OOTP is an amazing sim. Interesting, it is written by a gentleman in Germany. I have owned every version since OOTP 5. There are even online leagues you can join.

I picked it up yesterday. It looks to have a learning curve for sure, but I look forward to importing some historical players to give the hapless Chicago Cubs a chance at a pennant.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:42 pm

And Derek Jeter's last hit in the new Yankee Stadium (is it too soon to call it The House That Jeter Built?) is his trademark inside-out single to right center, this one a walk-off.

Figures that he'd find a way to give the Bronx one last memory. Wish I was there. This weekend at Fenway will be rocking, but respectful. In many ways it's fitting that Jeter ends his career at Fenway, and it would be good if Bucky Dent was there (aged Yanks/Sox history).

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Will they really let him DH? he said that's the end of his career at SS last night. Since the Yankees aren't actually playing for anything other than Jeter at this point, it'd be a fine idea.

Edit: OMG I cannot believe I wasn't starting McCutchen this week, especially against the Braves who have completely given up.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:39 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Will they really let him DH? he said that's the end of his career at SS last night. Since the Yankees aren't actually playing for anything other than Jeter at this point, it'd be a fine idea.

Does anyone really think that Yankees' mgmt will get in the way? Ending his fielding career at the Stadium is, to me, a bit of honor toward the Yankee faithful.

What's the over/under on the TV ratings for Sunday afternoon (FTR, it's on TBS @ 1:35PM)? Cheapest ticket on StubHub is $245 for a nosebleed seat way up behind the Pesky Pole.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:21 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Wish I was there.
How much do you wish?

Captain Ned wrote:
Cheapest ticket on StubHub is $245 for a nosebleed seat way up behind the Pesky Pole.
They were more than that last year at this time, when the Red Sox were headed for the postseason (or so my friend in Boston tells me).

I suspect at this point Giardi does whatever Jeter wants: put him in the lineup as a DH, or an occasional pinch hit. I don't believe he's going to just sit for the entire series, but given what he's apparently said (I haven't been paying close attention, though) I'd be surprised if he actually takes the field anywhere but at the plate. He's definitely going to take one turn at the plate in that last game, though: he has too much sense of history to not show up. (And I'm sure TBS -- which still has a contract with MLB for the postseason -- is burning up the phones begging. Though from their perspective, having just glimpses of him in the dugout for the entire game until a late innings pinch hit appearance might be their best case scenario).

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:36 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
How much do you wish?

In the pantheon of Yankees games I'd much rather pay for Chris Chambilss' ALCS-winning homer in 1976, the Reggie Jackson 3 pitch/3 homer WS game of 1977, and the Jeter Flip game.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:51 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
the Reggie Jackson 3 pitch/3 homer WS game of 1977
As a kid I watched that live on TV. It would've been amazing... but then when you leave the stadium you're in the Bronx, in 1977, in the middle of the night. As long as you stayed with the herd and headed right to the subway you'd be fine, but don't stray.
the Jeter Flip game.
After that game, I had a friend who was all gung-ho to do up a diagram of that play, get it printed onto t-shirts with "WWJD? - What Would Jeter Do?" beneath it, and sell them out of the back of a van at the Stadium. For various reasons, it didn't happen.

Speaking of which, did you catch the bit at 1:45 here?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:58 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
As a kid I watched that live on TV. It would've been amazing... but then when you leave the stadium you're in the Bronx, in 1977, in the middle of the night. As long as you stayed with the herd and headed right to the subway you'd be fine, but don't stray

I've been to the real Yankee Stadium exactly once (if my mother's father had not died of a heart attack somewhere in the night between 7/3/67 and 7/4/67 when I was but 3, it would have been much more often) somewhere in the mid '80s and I remember the transit cops herding us up the ramps so that they could close the gate behind us and protect us from the Bronx.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:43 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Does anyone really think that Yankees' mgmt will get in the way?

No, I don't think so, I just am kind of surprised he doesn't want to play the field. I "get" that hey, he played SS last at Yankee Stadium or whatever, but at the same time, the dude is a fierce competitor. I was just surprised he'd want to limit his last 3 games that way.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:43 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
No, I don't think so, I just am kind of surprised he doesn't want to play the field. I "get" that hey, he played SS last at Yankee Stadium or whatever, but at the same time, the dude is a fierce competitor. I was just surprised he'd want to limit his last 3 games that way.

If they were still in play for the wild card I'm sure he would. Besides, the Fenway crowds may not like Yankees but they respect Jeter. As I said before there's a certain poetic justice whereby an all-time great Yankee plays his last at Fenway. Call it the Circle of Ruth (cue Elton John).

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:16 pm

and meanwhile, a guy who has meant every bit as much to his organization, albeit without the same success (outside 05), is hanging them up too. Headed out to see him play in a couple hours.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v36552901/a-pers ... ul-konerko

I like how it shows him getting hit in the face. hey, a 20 year career isn't all homeruns and wins.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... story.html

Not sure I agree with Cameron, but still really damn good

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:29 pm

Paul Konerko is the classic blue-collar lunch pail guy that keeps teams together just because and it's only fitting that it's Chicago. Chicago loves their big Polish galumpkies.

You may not have had the coverage but the White Sox will miss you just the same. Open a pierogie joint and we'll all be there.