Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

4 pin S/PDIF to 2 pin S/PDIF

Wed May 15, 2013 11:26 pm

I've purchased a S/PDIF Output for use with my AsRock Z77M motherboard (see pg. 35) because I needed a Coaxial out and my motherboard only has optical.

Now the output uses a four pin S/PDIF cable and my motherboard header is two pin. From looking at the diagrams the layout of the two cables is as follows:

Two pin: SPDIF Out|Ground

Four Pin +5v|Empty|SPDIF Out|Ground

It seems to me that I should just be able to plug half of the four pin connector into the two pin header and everything should be fine since the +5v is solely for optical output. Is this the case or do I really need that five volt plug?

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: 4 pin S/PDIF to 2 pin S/PDIF

Thu May 16, 2013 1:43 am

Does your cable look like this:
http://www.frontx.com/pro/p1062_030.html
(only two wires in the cable, including ground) or are the three pins actually connected to three wires in the cable?

You will not break anything if you try and connect the cable as you said. If it has an amplifier at the other end, you will get no output, but that's improbable.

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu May 16, 2013 1:59 am

Wirko wrote:
Does your cable look like this:
http://www.frontx.com/pro/p1062_030.html
(only two wires in the cable, including ground) or are the three pins actually connected to three wires in the cable?

No, there are three cables (as you can see from the link).

My understanding is that the third cable (+5V) is necessary for optical (because it powers the light) but unnecessary for coaxial.

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:28 am

So I bought the adapter and it didn't work.

I'm not sure if it is due to the adapter or my misunderstanding of the way the SPDIF headers work.

I plugged the adapter in an no additional audio devices showed up.

I tried reinstalling my drivers to no avail. Any ideas?

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:06 am

For anyone that winds up on this thread via Google:

I managed to get this working (i) by removing the 5v wire (red) from the original plug, (ii) extending the wire and soldering on a new lead, and (iii) plugging the 5v plug into a 5v pin on the chasis speaker header. I've read that it is also possible to get this working by plugging the 5v plug into the power pin on a usb header.

sam9s
Gerbil XP

Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:23 am

HI Kumori

I have landed to this thread via google ... :) as I am in the same situation. I have a Gigabyte E350N APU motherboard and have ordered an SPDIF header out this one. ...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270540056446

Amd even I am not able to get audio out as expected. Before I do some experiment, I just wanted if you can have a look and explain me in a bit details as to what you did to have success. I am a bit skiptical to do anything coz, the manual spdif says you will fry your mobo if you get pins wrong. Can you please assist me in getting this worked ..... really appreciate your reply on thread for people who might be lost coz of the same issue.

Regards
Sammy
Core i7-2600K|Win 7 Ulti x64|ASUS P8P67 Pro|G.Gkill 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 |Sapphire HD5850|DELL 24" UltraSharp IPS 1080p|5.0 TB storage|Intel X-25M 80GB SSD|LG Bluray/HD DVD combo|CM690|Altec Lansing ATP5|Onkyo 6200