Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: need a new point and shoot camera

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:55 pm

cynan wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:
cynan wrote:
I think some of the auto correction on the NEX lenses are hard-coaded into the RAW files as well. (Not sure if you can turn them off).

I'm assuming that Lightroom/Adobe Camera RAW/Other isn't being used due to budget concerns, but yeah, most serious RAW converters will be able to make the corrections.

I meant that you don't need fancy RAW processing programs to take care of some of the more serious corrections (to some extent) as much of this is already done in camera, even in the RAW files (ie, they're not quite true raw). Based on speculations such as this...

Lens corrections aren't an issue, except that they by default rob sharpness from every shot, and that the ones built into the RAW files will need support- though I guess that's better than hoping that a particular converter already has a profile for the lens in question. The point is, in short, that using lenses that need significant correction is less optimal and to be avoided.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:57 am

Sorry to revive this old thread again, but camera feedback is required again :) Never did end up getting a camera, had to take care of the vehicle, then house, then wife got a leather couch lol, however I think it's about time to take the plunge. The wife has been taking the kids to a photographer about 5 times a year now, at 140-240 a pop, so something half decent should have a 1-2yr payback.

Budget, would still like to keep it to 750$ CND. (which would be closer to $650 due to the 13% taxes here) I have been researching a bit, basically since the wife will probably end up using it,

1. should have good fast autofocus
2. nice sharp jpegs, since I don't really have the time, know how, or software to edit RAWs.

From that, the Fuji X-A1 seems to come up often, as does the alpha 6000, 1080p video would be a nice bonus.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:26 am

A6000 are very, very good deals right now.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:30 am

Thanks I will take a look for for deals. Stock lens or bare body with a different lens? I will probably only get/use 1 lens, so something middle of the road/general purpose use I guess?

edit - http://www.photoprice.ca/product/05289/ ... price.html

yikes, probably peanuts for pros though

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:53 am

anotherengineer wrote:
Thanks I will take a look for for deals. Stock lens or bare body with a different lens? I will probably only get/use 1 lens, so something middle of the road/general purpose use I guess?

edit - http://www.photoprice.ca/product/05289/ ... price.html

yikes, probably peanuts for pros though

You are just not looking hard enough. ;)

http://www.henrys.com/Categories/61-Cam ... histicated
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_ ... _id=071851

At least this is closer to your target. I would wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Boxing Week to strike if you can afford the wait. Perhaps they will have a deal for the A6000 or some other camera (the A5100 already looks good pricewise).

That being said, if your real budget is closer to $650, I am not sure if you can get much if you are looking into EVIL/DSLR systems. You may need to go slightly lower for a high end compact, but you will need to go try one out yourself to see if it can compensate for the wife's poor handling skills. Heck, even the A6000 is not a silver bullet for violently swinging hands. :o
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:03 am

Thanks!

The Fuji X-A1 can be had for $400 cnd which seems pretty decent also. I can handle waiting for cyber monday/boxing day. Just figured I may as well get 3 good choices by then, so I can button mash the mouse before everything is sold out ;)

Could always drop by the local future shop and try out a few and return them..........
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 88877.aspx

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:43 am

anotherengineer wrote:
Thanks!

The Fuji X-A1 can be had for $400 cnd which seems pretty decent also. I can handle waiting for cyber monday/boxing day. Just figured I may as well get 3 good choices by then, so I can button mash the mouse before everything is sold out ;)

Could always drop by the local future shop and try out a few and return them..........
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 88877.aspx

Henrys is a real camera shop. If you have access to one nearby you can go try things out and ask real questions, instead of FutureShop/BestBuy where you are pretty much on your own. Definitely try them out in person, especially for ease of use and the portability aspect (since you are not looking at compacts).

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:25 pm

The A6000 + stock lens is probably your best bet for something snappy with decent image quality- the Fuji's will generally be too slow for a lot of things, with the ones more suited for moving stuff likely well outside the stated budget :).

Just note that Sony's kit lens, while 'effective' optically as well as being small and light, will not be close to maximizing the image quality of a modern Sony sensor.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Just note that Sony's kit lens, while 'effective' optically as well as being small and light, will not be close to maximizing the image quality of a modern Sony sensor.

What are good alternatives? Using the older Minolta lenses you will lose autofocus with a photographer (if you can call her that) that does not want to keep her hands steady and to adjust things during a shot. :o

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
The A6000 + stock lens is probably your best bet for something snappy with decent image quality- the Fuji's will generally be too slow for a lot of things, with the ones more suited for moving stuff likely well outside the stated budget :).

Ya I've read that, if I end up going with the a6k and if I decide to invest in it later on, what lens would maximize the potential of the sensor?

I don't know how in-depth this guy goes
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/ ... e_quality/
but the X-A1 seems to do high ISO jpegs even better than the a6k sony.

No Henry's up here in Timmins, not even sure if we have a dedicated camera shop up here anymore.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:04 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

Ya I've read that, if I end up going with the a6k and if I decide to invest in it later on, what lens would maximize the potential of the sensor?

I don't know how in-depth this guy goes
http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/ ... e_quality/
but the X-A1 seems to do high ISO jpegs even better than the a6k sony.

The X-A1 may be doing high ISO images well, meaning there is hope for low light/indoor pictures. However, Airmantharp was also talking about the slowness. Based on what you mentioned about the user of this camera, you will need fast focus times and shutter speeds too.

Without upgrading the intended users' skill/habits, you will be finding yourself constrained in terms of choices.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:43 pm

I'm seeing Nikon D3300 + 18-55 VR II kits for <US$600 new, and <US$500 refurbished- it's Nikon's smallest and lightest DSLR (they shrunk it to near SL1-sized and used carbon fiber) and the kit lens looks to be very sharp both with better handling than the VR '1' and with improved close focusing.

The camera isn't a competitor for the a6000, but it's larger size and mirror setup mean better AF for certain things and the DSLR shape means better overall handling, where most mirrorless cameras and especially the budget ones fall short.

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:10 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

What are good alternatives? Using the older Minolta lenses you will lose autofocus with a photographer (if you can call her that) that does not want to keep her hands steady and to adjust things during a shot. :o

There are several great Sony E-mount lenses, like the 50/1.8. Most of the Zeiss ones are excellent, though expensive. Sigma also makes some great lenses, notably the 30/2.8.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:11 pm

lonleyppl wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
Airmantharp wrote:

There are several great Sony E-mount lenses, like the 50/1.8. Most of the Zeiss ones are excellent, though expensive. Sigma also makes some great lenses, notably the 30/2.8.

They are rather nice and are stabilized- but they're also more expensive than the Nikons; $100 more for the 50mm, and $300 more for the 35mm, and you're still stuck with MILC handling.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:28 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
lonleyppl wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

They are rather nice and are stabilized- but they're also more expensive than the Nikons; $100 more for the 50mm, and $300 more for the 35mm, and you're still stuck with MILC handling.

Do keep in mind that the original requirement is to be close in size to the Panasonic ZS7, which is a compact. I don't even remember when the discussion switched to EVIL/DSLR as the gerbil crowd was able to upsell the OP. :P I don't think the intended user will be ok with all the added bulk.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
I don't think the intended user will be ok with all the added bulk.

Blew past the original requirements because they aren't feasible to begin with- at least with today's technologies :)

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:28 pm

How to most of the companies compare for updating/upgrading firmware? Is it true that there is firmware for some of the lenses also?!?!!

Nikon's usually offer a 2-yr. warranty here in Canada also vs. 1-yr like almost everyone else, something to keep in mind I guess.

The RX100 mk3 is nice, but even more $$ than the a6000!!

TheEmrys

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:06 pm

Sony rx100 m2 is $329 today. A very good deal.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:51 am

TheEmrys wrote:

As usual, Canada does not get these deals. :-?

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:57 am

Flying Fox wrote:
TheEmrys wrote:

As usual, Canada does not get these deals. :-?

Indeed, if it was that price here it would be in the cart!

prices in Canada
http://www.photoprice.ca/product/04896/ ... price.html

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:05 am

Well the Sony Alpha 6k is on sale here at futureshop today for $650, (Cnd) think I will get one after work and test it out.

Is there any full body DSLR about the same price that offer more than the alpha 6k? (Just trying to maximize performance/options for the dollar)

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:50 am

The mirrorless Sony α6000 has an APS-C size sensor with interchangeable lenses. It's much larger than a compact point-and-shoot camera. Along those lines, I still like the $335 (refurbished) Canon EOS Rebel SL1, which is the world's smallest and lightest DSLR.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:02 pm

Nikon D3300 is $120 cheaper than the a6000
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 46691.aspx

TheEmrys

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:36 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
The mirrorless Sony α6000 has an APS-C size sensor with interchangeable lenses. It's much larger than a compact point-and-shoot camera. Along those lines, I still like the $335 (refurbished) Canon EOS Rebel SL1, which is the world's smallest and lightest DSLR.

You sure about the much larger than a point and shoot? The SL1 is the smallest DSLR, but larger than just about every mirrorless out there. The a6000 is far smaller than the SL1.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#448,535

Canon Rebel SL1 is 3% (3.2 mm) narrower and 36% (23.8 mm) taller than Sony Alpha a6000.
Canon Rebel SL1 is 54% (24.3 mm) thicker than Sony Alpha a6000.
Canon Rebel SL1 [407 g] weights 18% (63 grams) more than Sony Alpha a6000 [344 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

TheEmrys

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:36 pm

anotherengineer wrote:

Yeah, but its half the camera as well.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:24 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:

Yeah, but its half the camera as well.

Well, if what you want from a camera is great handling and a great kit lens, the a6000 does seem to come up short :).