Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

CityEater
Gerbil

Re: 4K, how is this going to work???

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:09 pm

Pagey wrote:
I only study it as a hobby because it fascinates the hell out of me. I still marvel at how groups of engineers were able to come up with the first analog NTSC encoding using a modulated radio wave!

Hey if you're interested (and mods feel free to erase this if it goes against the forum rules) have a look at this forum.

http://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php

Great info and feedback from top professionals, I've lurked for a long time. Also consider joining the CML mailing list. It should feed that fascination (probably satiate it).

morphine
TR Staff

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:04 pm

Moving this thread to the Visual Haven.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:35 pm

CityEater wrote:
Pagey wrote:
I only study it as a hobby because it fascinates the hell out of me. I still marvel at how groups of engineers were able to come up with the first analog NTSC encoding using a modulated radio wave!

Hey if you're interested (and mods feel free to erase this if it goes against the forum rules) have a look at this forum.

http://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php

Great info and feedback from top professionals, I've lurked for a long time. Also consider joining the CML mailing list. It should feed that fascination (probably satiate it).

Thanks for the link! This is what I've been studying: http://www.amazon.com/The-Filmmakers-Ha ... 0452297281

I am on my second or third reading, and I learn something new every time. The reason I'm excited about the potential for the new 4K master of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is that from what I've read, there are 2 masters, currently: a version used for the Blu-ray here in the states, and then Mondo Films has an Italian master that is supposedly sharper, timed/graded better on the color, and does not make use of egregious DNR...something the American master is accused of. Having seen neither, I can't say for certain. I was impressed with how well well Fistful and Few Dollars More looked on Blu. Yes, Techniscope has a lot of grain, but grain doesn't bother me. It's simply part of the experience of shooting 2-perf film. American Graffiti is another Techniscope classic, and to me it's just part of the overall enjoyment and experience. Heck, when I watched ST: Into Darkness, the local theater was projecting a 35mm release print. It has visible print damage, the infamous "cigarette burns" before the changeovers, etc. The image was often soft and somewhat out of focus, but that could be the fault of the projectionist. In any event, I suspect it will be on of the last 'films' I actually see on film!

I also agree with you on better calibration for current gen TVs. I downloaded one of the free tools from AVS Forums, and to do it right (or to even attempt to do it right) takes time and patience. And even then, some panels just won't clean up as much as you'd like. But...then I think back to the days of watching Star Trek: TNG in broadcast as I pop in my TNG Season 1 Blu-ray and realize just how far we've come, even if the TV could stand to be calibrated more tightly.

CityEater
Gerbil

Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:56 am

Yeah I love grain in the right story too. Its funny how many digitally shot films go though this process now: Digitally shot -> Noise reduction applied at the post house -> Colour graded -> and then either film grain emulation/grain overlay applied or lasered out to film print/neg and re scanned. All to get that filmic texture. Gets used fairly regularly, even on commercials. I started out shooting super 16 and have always loved the texture. 2 perf isn't dead yet either, there's still a few evangelists around but modern stocks are very clean and the equipment isn't a joy to use at this point. Film makers would probably take the expense hit and just shoot super 35 (once cropped down its roughly the same neg image area) because they have so many more equipment options.

These vizio tvs sound pretty good, shame they don't have a presence here in Australia. I'm in the market for a new monitor and I've been eyeing the new dell U3014 (pretty brutal sticker shock) but I have to say I'm fairly tempted by the Dell 4k 24inch as well. I don't have any experience with this but how cleanly do these high rez panels scale back down to 1080p? I mean it should be near perfect right? 1:1 to 1:4. I'm more impressed by what the newer gpu's can do pushing these 4k panels. I mean I don't mind scaling back a few settings to get over 45fps (which has generally been my "Playable" expectation) its just when the mins kick in they look shockingly low. Maybe Nvidia and AMD just haven't exerted as much effort to optimise their drivers for those resolutions? I don't know. I'd still like to run some light AA even at that rez but on a 24 inch monitor its definitely at a point where I won't be able to discern pixels. At that point I'm fairly sure the art assets in games aren't going to be up to scratch.

Maybe someone can explain this to me but I've been buying games digitally for five or six years. The largest I've ever bought was somewhere in the realm of a 20Gb download. Why are PS4 games sometimes near twice that? Higher bitrate sound? Higher rez textures? Or just more FMV? I don't get it.

CityEater
Gerbil

Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:47 am

http://www.ultrahdtv.net/lg-launching-3 ... 14-31mu95/

I like both of these but the 19:10 4096X2160 model is particularly interesting. I don't know if it will carry a premium over the UHD models from Asus, Dell etc or not, this isn't a market which LG usually compete in so maybe they'll surprise us. From what I've read it appears to conform to all the relevant video standards ( 709, 601, 2020 ) and it certainly looks like LG are trying to separate themselves from the pack.

Maybe UHD isn't the future of 4k at home...

On the other hand I would love that 21:9 monitor for gaming.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:42 pm

CityEater wrote:
The GH4 is a good example of what I meant, its "4k" but only in the sense that it creates a 4096X2160 frame. If you point it at a res chart there's no way its going to resolve that much information even using its SDI out to an external recorder.

Well, supposedly the GH4 will have new high bitrate capture modes. If I understand correctly, there is a new breakout box (SDI) that will enable IPB bitrates of 100 Mbps for 4K in MP4 at up to 30p (too bad they're not using x.265) and 1080p All-Intra at up to 200 Mbps. At 10-bit color (4:2:2). While not a perfect 4K capturing device, it still looks to be a considerable evolution over the stock GH3 - and any other DSLR cam with video capabilities.

Edit: Actually, that breakout box isn't required for 4k at 30p using the 100Mbps IPB. Budget SD cards need not apply (UHS-I class 3). Also, from the link above, looks like you can skip the breakout box and use HDMI to output directly to an external capturing device..

CityEater
Gerbil

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 am

cynan wrote:
Edit: Actually, that breakout box isn't required for 4k at 30p using the 100Mbps IPB. Budget SD cards need not apply (UHS-I class 3). Also, from the link above, looks like you can skip the breakout box and use HDMI to output directly to an external capturing device..

Both are just video signals at that point, ultimately compressed at some point in the line. The type of external recording devices we're talking about would cost multiples of the price of the camera to pull 4k in 4:2:2. Realistically people will either use it in 1080p (Using a cheaper external recorder) or onto the SD card; 4k or not. Don't get me wrong, Panasonic have really continued to push the HDSLR game, the GH3 shouldn't be underestimated. I thought it looked great in "Upstream Color".

Here's an interesting look at the GH4 against one of its likely competitors.
http://www.eoshd.com/content/12057/4k-c ... ion-camera

Both (and others) fighting it out for a toe in the prosumer market verging on consumer pricing.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:24 am

Colour me Krogoth'd until it can do 120+ Hz
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:56 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Games won't be 4K anytime soon, I'm running a pair of 7970's and I'm struggling to hit a solid 60fps in some games even at 1440p (Crysis3, BF4). The tests at 4K so far seem to indicate that you'll need to damn-near triple your GPU throughput to get 4K running as well as 1080p, and 3x the GPU actually costs 6x as much. It seems like a waste for anyone who actually has monetary concerns, especially given that the next-gen consoles seem to be struggling to output at even 1080p at the moment - there'll likely be little to no 4K gaming content for a while.

Right now we're in an unusual situation where high-end graphics haven't really progressed much. Almost two and a half years have passed since the 7970 was the $550 flagship, and even if you buy a 290X or a 780Ti today you haven't quite managed to double the performance of that card - A 7990 is slower than two 7970s and yet it still comfortably beats the 780Ti and the 290X in Uber mode. I'm saying "comfortably" because the 7990 is 10% faster than a hot-clocked 780Ti even in games like Crysis3 and BF4 where Nvidia cards do better. In AMD-friendly game engines, the margin is more like 40%.....

So, maybe on its 3rd birthday, the 7970 will finally be only half the speed of the latest GPU: That still means that the latest, most-expensive GPU on the market will be inadequate to play even today's games at 4K, you can completely forget about games in a year from now!

I thought that 4K for older games like say star craft would look stunning. Could you imagine pushing Star craft 2 on a 42 inch 4K monitor on your desk. It would be amazing!!!

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:34 pm

I just keep looking over the sets on amazon and the prices are pretty darn reasonable(absent decent connector bandwidth). I'm really eager to get my hands on one for my desktop soon as they work this all out!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:06 pm

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
I just keep looking over the sets on amazon and the prices are pretty darn reasonable(absent decent connector bandwidth). I'm really eager to get my hands on one for my desktop soon as they work this all out!

That's my point. It doesnt' look stunning, because the art assets are designed for 1080p. It looks debatably better at 1440p or 1600p because the stuff that is detailed enough shines, but it also looks inconsistent, because you're getting into textures and game geometry that wasn't supposed to be viewed in such detail. The textures are blurry and the curves are polygonal.

Game assets are optimised for their console resolutions by the developer for production cost reasons. PC exclusives like Starcraft are optimised for 1080p and you get diminishing returns at higher resolutions because they weren't wasting development budget on art assets and their associated downscaling that targetted less than 2% of the market.

Perhaps now high-ppi laptops and 1440p screens are more common, it may become a consideration for future releases, but then you hit the performance problem I first mentioned. To take it to the logical conclusion, minecraft with it's low-poly, low-res textures looks just as ass at 4K as it does at 1080p. The 4K experience only matters if the content is being compromised at 1080p or lower.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:24 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:

That's my point. It doesnt' look stunning, because the art assets are designed for 1080p. It looks debatably better at 1440p or 1600p because the stuff that is detailed enough shines, but it also looks inconsistent, because you're getting into textures and game geometry that wasn't supposed to be viewed in such detail. The textures are blurry and the curves are polygonal.

Game assets are optimised for their console resolutions by the developer for production cost reasons. PC exclusives like Starcraft are optimised for 1080p and you get diminishing returns at higher resolutions because they weren't wasting development budget on art assets and their associated downscaling that targetted less than 2% of the market.

Perhaps now high-ppi laptops and 1440p screens are more common, it may become a consideration for future releases, but then you hit the performance problem I first mentioned. To take it to the logical conclusion, minecraft with it's low-poly, low-res textures looks just as ass at 4K as it does at 1080p. The 4K experience only matters if the content is being compromised at 1080p or lower.

I can understand what you mean by undesirable polygons.

I don't think it will be a issue as much as you think it will be. I mean I'd rather have a crisper screen(less jaggies etc) with a 4K display and see more polygons than normal then see less polygons and more jaggies. I'd rather run 4K and not AA on a 1600p screen. I believe you are right that some assets in RTS games for example won't scale well. But have you played warcraft 3 on a 1600p screen (Never was designed for that) It looks great!

I play lots of old games on my Dell 30" Assuming we aren't talking about Diablo and its low locked resolution I'm happy to play on the higher res. I've never plugged a game into my 1600p screen and said, "Oh no it looks too bad let me unplug this and go back to a 800x600 panel"

Sure somethings look a little worse but most things look overall better.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:24 am

I keep reading articles claiming, "4K is a waste!" I get that 4K at the expense of decent color and black levels is not an improvement for most people. But I don't think its a waste. Sub 50" TV's will make great monitors (once the connection standard gets sorted) and bigger ones will look stunning! I know we covered the hurdles of content before but 4K and games won't be as big an issue as say 4K and movies. Even there you have a market with the ability to "Re-Sell" movie collections to nut jobs like me at massive mark ups, streaming is SO far away from having even super bit DVD quality let alone bluray.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:50 pm

I was reading a large part of the... off adoption of 4K is that panel color and darkness quality is still all over the place. LCD is still not plasma and plasma is on the way out with OLED not ready to step up and take its place. Looks like edge lit LED LCD may be the staple panel tech for screens from 20" to 90" for the foreseeable future.

I love plasma, and OLED doesn't appear to be up to the challenge of replacing it in the next 4-5 years due to major production difficulties.

Panel tech is about to stradle a gap and honestly I see why 4K will be important for marketing as it gives value to LCD that currently no other tech is able to reproduce... even if LCD is in no way able to reliably duplicate color on the level of plasma or OLED. OLED has another challenge to deal with, it's become known to be prone to burn in... that's a damning thing to many users.

I personally use high color quality LCD's for a long time and they simply don't hold a candle to what a crappy plasma can reproduce (even if accuracy is out the window, lol)

Interesting times we live in.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:52 pm

I've been playing a bunch of ubisoft games, assassin's creed and far cry 3 and they have annoying draw in and render issues that are overly apparent on a 1600p monitor. Not a universal HD issue, BF3 looks stellar at 1600p.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:01 pm

I keep reading articles claiming, "4K is a waste!" I get that 4K at the expense of decent color and black levels is not an improvement for most people. But I don't think its a waste. Sub 50" TV's will make great monitors (once the connection standard gets sorted) and bigger ones will look stunning! I know we covered the hurdles of content before but 4K and games won't be as big an issue as say 4K and movies. Even there you have a market with the ability to "Re-Sell" movie collections to nut jobs like me at massive mark ups, streaming is SO far away from having even super bit DVD quality let alone bluray.

It's not just the connection standard. The required parts necessary to process a 4k signal at 60Hz+ just doesn't (or at least not until now or the near future) exists as off-the-shelf items. Case in point: The $800 Dell TN 4K monitor that has DP 1.2, but can only do 30Hz. And the fact that all the previous 4K designs based off of the Sharp panels were actually two displays in one. Hopefully this is changing now.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:45 pm

cynan wrote:

It's not just the connection standard. The required parts necessary to process a 4k signal at 60Hz+ just doesn't (or at least not until now or the near future) exists as off-the-shelf items. Case in point: The $800 Dell TN 4K monitor that has DP 1.2, but can only do 30Hz. And the fact that all the previous 4K designs based off of the Sharp panels were actually two displays in one. Hopefully this is changing now.

Yeah, I'm excited for 4K because I think it will be a long lasting plateau. Till film its self evolves again, Hitting a resolution plateau will help set engineers focus on color and contrast again. Hoping 1080p lasts longer won't resolve the need for resolution to level off for a while so film catalogs can be modernized and remastered.

I'm hoping in the next 12 months they will fix the breadth of issues that have hindered the utility of the resolution. The increase in TV and computer monitors is bringing us to something of a convergence of the office and living room in terms of tech...

Interesting stuff indeed.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Re: 4K, how is this going to work??? update???

Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Didn't know if there has been an update here? Just wondering if there are any 4K panels out there that support 60 fps yet... I'm thinking of changing my pc and HT setup in the next year or so.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:09 am

Yeah, there have been some news articles on 4K 60Hz Single-tile models on TR.

Off the top of my head I don't know what models but they definitely exist, search the news archives & see what turns up.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:28 am

I'll outline what I'm looking for.

38-42 inches
4K@60hz
If at all possible running both the new display-port standard and the new HDMI standard.
Price, I'd prefer it be around 600 but as long as its under 1000 I'm in business.
I currenly have a Dell1600p 30" color accurate monitor, Dell 24" color accurate and Asus 24" TN panel monitor. The Asus and the 30" have been calibrated together and look really good. I mean to say I don't need a color perfect panel just one that isn't noticeably out of wack as some TN's are.

I'm running a 7950 AMD currently... Do I need a new GPU to drive this?

It does bring up something of a odd challenge in terms of how I'm going to reconcile my sound solution. I currently run HDMI to my receiver... then from my receiver pass through to my 24" 3rd monitor. (I currently have 3 and want to consolidate to just one 4K) AMD drivers don't allow you to put out sound without sending video. I can't just plug a cable into my receiver to get my surround sound 7.1 up and running, currently AMD needs that 3rd monitor for it to use my reciever... super annoying. Nvidia has no such issue. This will be an easy fix if I have to get a new GPU any way but I'd rather not at this moment.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:22 am

I'm looking around. Doesn't appear there is yet a 4K 40" monitor that does a simple 60 hz refresh. Annoying, might have to wait till next thanks giving for that to become available.

the
Gerbil Elite

Re: Still waiting for a 4k@60hz that is addressed as 1 unit

Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:38 am

cynan wrote:

Are there any PC GPU's that can push 4K 60 hz or better on a single port? I would hope we could achieve 120 hz at the very least.

Any video half decent video card that has displayport 1.2 should be able to do 4K@60Hz. I think the HD 7970 was the first to be able to do this..

Actually the Radeon 6800 and 6900 series had DP 1.2 ports on them, not that I'd recommend those cards to drive anything at 4K. The ports were mainly for multi-monitor setups.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

the
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:06 pm

I'm looking around. Doesn't appear there is yet a 4K 40" monitor that does a simple 60 hz refresh. Annoying, might have to wait till next thanks giving for that to become available.

How about this unit? It does appear to be shipping as Amazon UK has it in stock.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 [email protected] Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:33 pm

the wrote:

How about this unit? It does appear to be shipping as Amazon UK has it in stock.

Wow, that is a cool monitor. I was just looking into G-sync, sorta fell off the wagon for a while and didn't realize how important/awesome it is vs Vsync. I wonder philips or anyone for that matter will produce a G-sync monitor in the next year with similar specs to that.

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Re: Still waiting for a 4k@60hz that is addressed as 1 unit

Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:43 pm

the wrote:
the Radeon 6800 and 6900 series had DP 1.2 ports

Max resolution 2560x1600 on the chips though.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed May 20, 2015 11:19 am

http://techreport.com/news/28266/4k-and ... -ray-discs

well this is a big move. streaming services haven't been able to match blu ray color rendition or sound quality yet so this is finally putting something real behind 4K as a thing that you use to experience premium theater content vs 4K, a marketing gimmick.

Maybe this fall 4K will sort itself out. Hoping we get a 4K 40" with gsync or something.

morphine
TR Staff

Wed May 20, 2015 11:29 am

I was just musing today about how what we really need are 5K monitors with varsync. Bear with me.

The main reason why I'm not going to get a 4K monitor yet is because I can't really run modern games at 4K without massive graphics horsepower. I could get a 4K monitor and play at 1920x1080 for perfect scaling, but 1080p in 27" has pixels the size of barns, let alone at 30".

It stands to reason that the current sweet spot is 2560x1440, providing a reasonable balance between resolution and required GPU speed. 5K, however, scales precisely to 2560x1440 at 1:2, so there's my solution for both the desktop and the games!

And while I'm at it, I'd like butter on my unicorn.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Melvar
Gerbil XP

Wed May 20, 2015 4:50 pm

morphine wrote:
I could get a 4K monitor and play at 1920x1080 for perfect scaling

That's a myth. Everyone assumes that because 1080p could be scaled perfectly that it will be, and that is not the case. I have 3 4K monitors and not one of them offers the option of unfiltered 1080p scaling. The gsync one doesn't have any scaler at all and it has to be done by the driver, and you still can't set an option for unfiltered 1080p scaling.

2560x1440 looks just as good on any 4K monitor I've used as 1080p does. It actually looks surprisingly good because despite not being a 2:1 linear pixel ratio it's still an even 3:2 ratio, which scales nicely. Much better than 1080p looks on a 1440p panel. It should look better on a 5160x2880 monitor, but I don't really expect it to.

morphine
TR Staff

Wed May 20, 2015 4:57 pm

Melvar wrote:
The gsync one doesn't have any scaler at all and it has to be done by the driver, and you still can't set an option for unfiltered 1080p scaling.

Okay, that's news to me. So, apparently, after 50 years of computing, doing a 1:2 pixel conversion is apparently difficult :lol:

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat May 23, 2015 9:31 am

I'm coming down from having a triple monitor setup and really just want a 40" 4K gsync monitor or something.

Guess that raises the question, you guys think that a the home theater crowd will get a Gsync like feature for consoles?