Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

rcrijkse
Gerbil
Topic Author

Server farms and load balancing

Mon Apr 29, 2002 3:22 pm

I am wondering if you can do this at home. Don't know all the specifics of server farms but im guesstimating that its pretty much like a extremely large domain of servers with the PDC?? controlling which functions of what ever workload they have.

To make it easier to understand.....I have a whole bunch of older pc's laying around. I want to network all of them and have on main machine be in controll of all other pc's down to the processes that each cpu on each machine does.

Is this possible?

I just joined a Folding@home team and have some serious crunching to do to get into the top 200 on my team. i don't want to use ics or anything like that. my whole point is to see if i can build a server farm or load balancing type of set up.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 29, 2002 10:59 pm

The load balanced systems I have worked on (generally web servers) are balanced and the incomming router. IIRC Cisco makes a load balancer among others. Load balancing only really applies to incomming connections. My understanding is that you are trying to set up a bunch of machines to crunch on a distributed computing problem. In this case, folding@home. That is much easier to do. Look at either getting a hardware firewall/router/masquerade or setting up linux on a machine to do the same job.

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 29, 2002 11:11 pm

That would be Beowulf under Linux. Does anyone know of a place I can d/l this from the internet instead of having to pay shipping from Linuxcentral?
Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon Apr 29, 2002 11:36 pm

You might try this: http://www.beowulf.org/software/software.html. I haven't really looked at it closely since I just tried it from running a search on some Linux site somewhere (I forget, maybe Linux.org), but it seems like it might have some software.

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 29, 2002 11:58 pm

Thanks. Ill be sure to check it out after finals :cry:
Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.