Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Would you buy this rather than an iPaq or a Palm if you had the cash?

Yes
5 (100%)

Total votes: 5

aero
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sharp Zaurus worth it?

Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:39 pm

Sharp has a new PDA based on the 206 MHz ARM, running Linux and Personal Java. They seem to be intentionally courting the open source community, which is a refreshing change from either PocketPC or Palm. The Zaurus retails for $499 and fits somewhere between the $499 and $599 iPaqs.

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,699,00.html
"Nonsense! I have not created a religion. I am the religion!" - Lord Leto II, God Emperor of Arakkis

Derek Andersen
Gerbil

Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:41 am

I voted yes, but, truthfully, I can't see myself buying any of the three.

Most of the things that I've run on a 'handheld' in the past (in this case an NEC MobilePro 700, which should explain the quotes around handheld) have been text-oriented; specifically, telnet/SSH clients, JWPce, and so on. The Zaurus would (arguably) do the best job of the three listed options (integrated keyboard...), but it still wouldn't be appropriate. Besides, 320x240 (or even 320x320, as on Sony's current Clies) is just too small to be useful.

Really, something like a Sharp Tripad/Vadem Clio scaled down a bit (i.e., closer to the MobilePro 700 rather than a subnotebook) with integrated Ethernet would be closer to what I actually want in a handheld. Running Linux on it would be nice, but not actually necessary.

Derek Andersen

R2P2
Gerbil In Training

Thu Apr 25, 2002 7:58 am

Slightly off-topic: Do StrongARM-based PDAs *need* to be this expensive, or do the manufacturers just like to have large profit margins on them? I want a Palm, and I'm sort of tempted to wait for the StrongARM units, but there's no way I'd pay *that* much for a Palm.

aero
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

I just got one

Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:25 pm

I just got a Zaurus, but off Ebay, and a developer edition (32 megs instead of 64 megs memory). It's a bit less, but I should only be running 2-3 apps at a time. It cost $335 (with shipping) instead of $450-499. For the money I saved, I got myself a 512 meg CF card for my MP3s. The only thing that's keeping me from full borgification is a good 3+ megapixel camera that would integrate with it.
"Nonsense! I have not created a religion. I am the religion!" - Lord Leto II, God Emperor of Arakkis

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Sun May 05, 2002 8:08 am

I just picked one up, after finally getting a chance to play with one. The Linux part is an undeniable draw for me, but that comes in second behind the sweet integrated keyboard. I've had employers constantly throwing palm devices at me, and while they're cool in many ways, the interface keeps me from really using one. Graffiti made simple tasks too cumbersome, and in addition to the slow CPU it made pen and paper look a lot more attractive. I then got a Psion 5mx, but soon found that it was just too big to have everywhere. The integrated keyboard (I would always be forgetting one of those clip-on things) and better handwriting recognition make the Zaurus a winner.

The Zaurus has a nice range of network interface options, ranging from serial to IR to USB, all the way up to wireless and Ethernet. The Psion made a nice portable serial console for routers and UNIX boxes (even my TiVos), and while the Zaurus' display width is kinda cramped, at least it works in a pinch.

I don't really care about the PIM stuff, although it looks adequate to me. My fun starts when I can use the SSH client to discretely do the little chore that I forgot to do on a server while I'm in a meeting. I think the AV stuff will come in handy too. But above all it's the familiar networking that will make this thing useful to me.
You are false data.

aero
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue May 07, 2002 11:44 pm

Slightly off-topic: Do StrongARM-based PDAs *need* to be this expensive, or do the manufacturers just like to have large profit margins on them? I want a Palm, and I'm sort of tempted to wait for the StrongARM units, but there's no way I'd pay *that* much for a Palm.

My answer to that is always "Ebay". If you use the right merchant, there's nothing to fear - and unlike full box computers, you can clear the memory for a fresh start. I think StrongARMs themselves aren't that pricey, but when you have a machine that *can* play MP3s and support good graphics, manufacturers will put in color screens and sound playback that will up the cost.

I agree with Speed that the networking things are nice. Right now, I've only managed to log in using the USB cradle, but I've installed sshd on the thing, so I can visit it from my main computer for data transfer without having to use its GUI. As for the PIM stuff, I think the upgrades available online make it commensurate with other PDAs (at last).