Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

adkmom
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Need pro help w/EPIA 5000- no display w/PCI video card

Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:42 pm

Hi all-

New member here- sure hope someone can help?

I have the EPIA 5000. I picked up a new, cheap (after rebate) PCI video card. When I put the card in, I get nothing onscreen at all- dark. This is using Knoppix on CD.

Tried on another PC w/onboard also- no display. On that one, I heard the desktop "music" of XP coming on- so I know Windows is responding.

Put it in an old P2 running 98- it works. This PC, of course, doesn't have onboard.

That being the case, is there something I'm missing with regards to the disabling of the onboard on these other two PC's? I did go into the BIOS & change the "init. display first"- tried it both ways ("AGP" or "PCI slot")- no go.

Help?

Mom :(

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:54 pm

Does this board have onboard graphics? If so ..you would have to disable it in the bios first...then enable the pci card :wink:

adkmom
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:44 pm

Yes, this EPIA has onboard video.

The trouble is that there is no place in the BIOS that says "disable". There is an option to choose which initiates first, "AGP" or "PCI". I have tried it set to both & it makes no difference- no display. There are no jumpers on the board or the vid. card.

I have read, on another forum, that I should go into device manager & "disable" the display adapter. This seems to make sense- but if the card doesn't work- then what? Will this reset itself upon next boot so that I end up with some sort of display?

Help!!! I really want to see this work!!

Mom

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:21 pm

Ok...uninstall the driver for the onboard graphics then...in device mgr...turn off puter..install new card in agp slot..reboot and install drivers that came with it. Also note in dvc mgr if there are any yellow question marks or exclamations. Give it a try and let us know.

Edit....i meant to say pci slot not agp...sorry....why dont you want to use the onboard graphics with that board?

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:34 pm

Which video card are you trying to use?

I have the M8000 and 10000, and would like to see how this turns out.

Also, this might get more attention in the SFF forum since we've done all the other MiniITX talks in there too. Just a thought
Last edited by HowardDrake on Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:16 pm

HowardDrake wrote:
Also, this might get more attention in the SFF forum since we've done all the other MiniITX talks in there too. Just a thought

Good call, HD.

**Thread moved to SFF Station**- mac_h8r1
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

adkmom
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:48 pm

HowardDrake wrote:
Which video card are you trying to use?

I have the M8000 and 10000, and would like to see how this turns out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The video card is the Mad Dog Prowler GF4 440MX SE 64mb PCI. I bought it because of the price $30. I wanted to see if having the video card would improve the graphics, & also the speed, by freeing up the CPU. Of course, the PCI bus has to be powered, too- but I'm a curious sort. :wink:
I'm dead & heading off to bed. I'll try this out tomorrow & post back.

Mom

tu2thepoo
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:20 pm

If you could try this before doing anything drastic:

* install the PCI GF4MX in the EPIA motherboard like you did before
* boot the PC (I'm guessing there will still be no video)
* now plug the monitor into the onboard graphics instead of the geforce4 MX.

If you then get a display, I'm guessing it's still running the onboard graphics as the primary adapter. If that's the case (and it's not some esoteric BIOS/motherboard/hardware issue), you can fix it two ways:

NUMERO UNO:
  • go into system properties.
  • (if you're using windows 2000/XP) click on "hardware", then "device manager".
  • under "display adapters", you should see two devices listed - the Geforce4 MX, and the onboard graphics (probably something like "S3 Savage Graphics").
  • right-click the onboard graphics adapter, and select "disable".
  • the screen will probably go blank, and then your Geforce4 MX PCI should now be the primary adapter.

(by the way, if this does not work as planned, just remove the Geforce 4 MX, reboot in Safe Mode, then re-enable the onboard graphics. It won't affect your hardware permenantly.)

NUMERO DOS:
  • Go into Display properties, then click on settings. you should now see two display cards listed - the onboard graphics (which will be Display 1), and the Geforce4MX (which will have a greyed-out monitor graphic).
  • Click on "Display 2", and then click on "extend my desktop to this monitor", and then "use this device as the primary monitor".
  • click "OK". the display should now go blank.
  • switch the monitor cable to the Geforce 4 MX. You should now see the regular windows desktop.
  • now you can click on the onboard graphics (probably will still be labeled "Display 1"), and uncheck "extend my desktop to this monitor".

either way, the Geforce4 MX should now be your primary adapter, and the onboard graphics will have been disabled in Windows.

That is, assuming I'm not off my rocker.

[edit]
just to add: i don't have a clue how to do the equivalent in Knoppix.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:01 am

tu2thepoo has it.

adkmom
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:26 am

OK-

This all sounds very good to me.

To clarify, though:

You're saying to start out with the GF card & to do all of this plug-swapping while the PC is on? Correct? There's no problem pulling & plugging the monitor cable while the PC is running?

Just want to be sure,

Mom

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:53 am

No problem pulling the monitor cable. It's [for all inensive purposes] uni-directional. Just don't pull the PCI card! :o
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.