Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Hawkeye
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Dell Cases

Thu May 09, 2002 9:27 pm

Hello, I want to upgrade my motherboard in my dell computer. Does anyone know if Dell uses ATX form cases. If they dont i'm pretty much screwed so your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gershwin
Gerbil XP

Re: Dell Cases

Thu May 09, 2002 10:29 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Hello, I want to upgrade my motherboard in my dell computer. Does anyone know if Dell uses ATX form cases. If they dont i'm pretty much screwed so your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Which specific Dell model are you referring to? Are you talking about one of their older Dimension models with the Palo Alto Products (now Flextronics) cases? Those are standard ATX, but the power supplies oftentimes aren't standard. And, Dell used numerous backplate styles with the PA600 depending on how old your Dell is.

I've built several computers with the unbranded Palo Alto ATCX and PA600 case. In fact, my wife's computer has an ATCX.

Dell's new clamshell cases also appear to be standard ATX, but I haven't paid much attention. I can't stand working with them and their goofy cable routing and narrow-angle opening, even though they open very easily.

murray
Gerbil XP

Fri May 10, 2002 12:42 am

I remember a thread and a rather large fuss over Dell using mixed up wiring in a standard ATX power header- you'll probably want to replace your power supply just to be on the safe side (this is assuming that the case is ATX and you'll still be using it).

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 10, 2002 2:37 am

Dell does use ATX cases...I can't speak for whether the power supplies are standard or not. And they do use a number of different backplates, so you'll want to watch out for those too. OEM cases aren't usually very friendly for mobo upgrades.

ExcessOrder
Gerbil

Fri May 24, 2002 9:38 am

Also, the mounting standoffs may be wrong. Most OEM cases only have the four to six mounts that their mobos actually use, not the wide variety of locations offered by a retail case. The standoffs provided probably will not line up to the holes on the mobo, and some might Dremel action may be necessary.

A new case ain't that much dosh. Are you particularly fond of this Dell case?

EO