Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

elas
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Lock-ups on impact

Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:34 pm

I have a Shuttle SN45G, and whenever i sit down hard/cause any type of hard vibration, the computer will completely lock up. It also seems to lock up radomly after 2 hours or so, but this might also be caused from vibrations. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JavaDog
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Lock-ups on impact

Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:18 pm

elas wrote:
I have a Shuttle SN45G, and whenever i sit down hard/cause any type of hard vibration, the computer will completely lock up. It also seems to lock up radomly after 2 hours or so, but this might also be caused from vibrations. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked all the cables, makesure they are properly seated. Same with the Heatsink/CPU.

Also, is your harddrive doing anything strange lately?

boobyne
Gerbil XP

Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:57 pm

I had a machine that would sometimes reboot when bumped. It turned out to be a faulty hard drive connection. Even though I checked the connections, it took a hard drive replacement for me to really figure out what was going on.

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:26 pm

Yeah, me too. Turned out to be a faulty power connector. Anytime the case was bumped it would cause my OS to lockup or reboot. One of the female power pins was loose enough to cause a 5v loss signal. Checked the event viewer in windows and saw a lot of Event5's pointing to "disk" which is bascally a delayed write error and then the OS is hung.
Would recommend swapping power cable to the hard disk and/or your IDE cable.

-E

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:26 am

Also, check to make sure that solder points on drives/cards/boards are not contacting the chassis.

Oh yeah, this may seem trivial, but check your jumpers to make sure they are in the proper spots on your drives. I had a major problem w/ that on a zip drive once.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.