Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Jan 17, 2002 6:07 pm

I remember reading a while back that the R200 DVD playback was really poor, in 16-bit colour almost...

When new drivers are released, can anybody tell me how they fare in this area? I really could do with this information as it is a crucial decision for my new box :smile:

£159.20 down, £1050-ish to go before I can sort out my box and room :smile:,
IntelMole

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jan 17, 2002 9:44 pm

PowerDVD foched up. It's fixed in recent drivers, and is trivial to fix in old ones (you disable an Nvidia card workaround, basically).

Damage
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:35 am

The problem isn't just PowerDVD. I noticed it in ATI's own DVD player app and in Windows Media Player--anything that used the overlay. It was a default gamma setting in the ATI drivers. Twiddle with the gamma setting, and it looks much better.

I'm pretty satisfied with the R8500 now that I've found a workaround for that problem. Of course, I'm mainly just writing and editing articles on this Pee Cee.

It's just now sinking in for me how much more advanced the 8500 is than the GeForce3. Not that it matters with current software or the current state of ATI's drivers (they don't even have occlusion detection turned on in OpenGL most of the time! performance is way below the hardware's abilities), but the 8500 hardware is very, very powerful.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Jan 21, 2002 4:46 pm

Okay, with that outta the way, I got one more question...

How do I get my crappy old ATI RageIIc to display DVDs in anything higher than 16bit color?

I've checked the desktop settings, even turned it down to 24bit to see if that would do it (heard a rumour somewhere that 32bit did sumin funny with the dvds...), yet still I see 6 color background walls :smile:

Aaaah,
IntelMole

hehe, stupid damn card, can't even do dat,
IntelMole