Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Porkstone
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Shuttle SN85G4 Booting from RAID

Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:03 am

Has anyone manged to Boot from the Silcon Onboard SATA Raid controller ?

Any info on this appreciated :)

Cheers,

P

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:54 pm

What OS are you trying to boot from? In order to get SATA RAID loaded on Win2k/XP, you have to do a fresh install using the [F6] key during the first part of install. Then, you need to provide a driver disk for the SATA RAID controller before continuing the OS install. Otherwise you will generate an Inaccessible Boot Device blue screen during boot.

Regards,

-E

Porkstone
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:00 pm

I was able to install the OS (Win2k) no problem just couldn't boot after having done so, I have since learned there is a problem with the Silicon RAID firmware only workaround is to add a raid controller, the highpont SATA controller works apparently.

I got the skinny on the problem here: forum post

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:13 pm

Ah, I see. So it looks to be specific to this rev. of SI's SATA controller. Sorry to hear about that. Have they given an ETA as to when it will be fixed?

I cannot imagine that Shuttle would release a product with such a glaring defect as this. It makes the SATA solution unusable in anything other than a non boot variety. Since the box is too small to accomidate anything more than two drives, this isn't a solution.

-E