Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

readysetgo
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Interesting Machine - OQO

Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:50 pm

OQO's PDA-sized device offers features usually found on a notebook.(PC World.com) Article

Pictures
Specifications

Very interesting, I think. Pricing would be key in determining purchase(s), of course.

~~~
"Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime." Author unknown

henry44
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:29 am

I REALLY like this thing !!!!!!!!!

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:39 am

They are very cool, but very expensive from what I've seen. $1000+ I'd prefer a PPC at that price.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

Steel
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:22 am

It looked interesting the last time they "promised" it would be out in a few months a year and a half ago. The keyboard is a nice addition but the impulse to buy has faded quite a bit. I still may get one if it gets a favorable review from a reputable site (like this one, perhaps ;)).

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:54 am

I have something <a href="http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/tabletpc/">similar.</a>

The nice thing about them is that the keyboard detaches, and it has a stylus that you can use to write on the screen like you would a piece of paper. It then can convert your notes to word, or into a Palm memo item. Very handy at meetings. Plus, it has a wireless NIC so I can get on the web during especially long meetings and check out TR. :D
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:49 am

Very impressive little micro-laptop there.

I bet some of the sales guys at my work would love those things.

Better not tell them about it....LOL

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:56 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:
Very impressive little micro-laptop there.

I bet some of the sales guys at my work would love those things.

Better not tell them about it....LOL

Like most of my gadgets, I have no idea how I managed before I got this thing - i'm typing on it now, as a matter of fact since my stupid laptop went belly-up this morning.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Bomber
Gerbil XP

Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:01 pm

The Oqo has been posted for over a year and nothing has been released yet. It is cool though

SlyFerret
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:21 pm

Now this thing is cool!!!! I want one.

I'd like to see somone get rid of the bloatware and install Linux on one of these little PCs.

I'm going to keep my eye out for this.

-SF

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:58 pm

Ah, but it is running a Crusoe CPU. Is it worth the performance hit for a little more battery? And would you call anything running a Crusoe a laptop replacement? Maybe it'd be nice as the ultimate remote/websurfing device, but not for me. I consider myself a bargain shopper, and I am 98% sure this won't be a bargain.

SlyFerret
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:12 pm

highlandr wrote:
Ah, but it is running a Crusoe CPU. Is it worth the performance hit for a little more battery?

For a larger laptop, probably not, but I think I could make an exception in this case. This machine is definitely not for everyone.

It is so small that I don't think anyone would expect it to be a powerhouse. But for the portability, it would be fantastic. I'd love to have one to take to class with me, or sit at the local coffee shop.

I was also thinking that this could be a neat idea for a car PC. It beats the heck out of trying to find a place to mount the PC, LCD monitor, and keyboard (with built-in pointing device). Just mount the cradle in the car and wire it in. Maybe connect up a USB GPS reciever. Possibly hook it into aux. inputs on the stereo?

I've got other PC's for power. This one would be for carying around everywhere all the time.

-SF