Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Assigning a % of CPU power?

Sat May 11, 2002 4:02 am

Is there a way to set the amount of CPU time for F @ H? While it is very good at getting out of the way for other programs, there are times when I am sure it could be running at 25-50% of my CPU and I wouldn't notice. Unfortunately, some games i use and other things hog the CPU and don't let any WU's get done at the same time :( I think maybe they run in high priority mode so only the OS can have CPU time from them.

Anyway, can I do this? I'd like to get some WU's done even while I'm screwing around.

aristheo
Gerbil First Class

Sat May 11, 2002 12:54 pm

I'm not quite sure if you can set an actual percentage of the CPU for a single process but you can set the priority of the process to "low" instead of "normal" in Win 2K/XP. Just go to task manager, click the processes tab, right click on the process for F@H, and then set the priority to low. This way, any process that needs the CPU will have a higher preference than F@H.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat May 11, 2002 1:30 pm

thanks for the tip but my problem is kind of the opposite. F @ H does a great job of getting out of the way for other programs--but it is almost too good in that the other programs get 100% utilization. So, I would like F@ H to not get 0 at the same time. Sounds like it might not be doable though. Thanks.

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 11, 2002 2:18 pm

Then you can set the priority to high or above normal.
Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Steel
Global Moderator

Sat May 11, 2002 2:31 pm

The processing thread for Core65.exe is fixed at idle, you can't change it. (At least not easily)

I don't think I've seen any utility to fix how much of the CPU a certain app can use. That sounds like something that would exist on a mini or mainframe but not on a desktop PC, especially one running Windows.

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:26 pm

Turns out that in the new 3.0 Client, you can set the 'advanced' options.. which allows you to set priority, and the maximum CPU that it uses. If you want, I can find a link to the beta client so you can try this option out, if you're still interested.

.:Ttocs