Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Nemesis
Gerbil
Topic Author

Lian-li pc-70 (Project Case) (UPDATED)

Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:10 pm

Well just thought i would wet your appatites with a project of mine that has been going for a bit, it is nearing completion and here are just a few pics of the work in progress. Hopefully when i have time i will get around to making an article on the net about it. Enjoy :)

The case in all its un-modded glory

Hmm, someone seems to have abducted a large section of panel

God damn, not another hole in a strange place!

Now what could that be for?

Fan, Radiator sandwich, Never leave home without one!

Thats all the sneak peak im giving for now...

Watch this space for more
Last edited by Nemesis on Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it aint broke, fix it till it is...
----------------------------------------
Moderating the world, one post at a time...
Cases and Power Supplies
General Hardware

Nemesis
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:19 pm

Thanks must go out to Macroman (from bit-tech) for the inspiration for the fan speed controller pictured below.

The plug trailing below, may look strangely familiar to most of you. But trust me plugging this into the ide header on your motherboard is HIGHLY not recommended!! It is infact used to connect the faceplate to the regulator circuitry (4 channel 3A per channel) used to controll the fans from their minimum speed (each channel is calibrated to the fans to be attached to it so that the minimum voltage that channel will supply is the minimum start voltage for the fans). Pictures of the finished unit will follow as soon as i get a chance to dig out my digi cam.

The led's shooting from the holes in the top picture are used to light the pointer slits in the brushed aluminium knobs, through a hole drilled beside the slit.

Link to the original Macroman control bay

Cases and Power Supplies

General Hardware

Gershwin
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:32 am

Jesus man. That's some slick work. Wow, a copper reservoir... and pusher and puller fans around the radiator. It seems like overkill even if you're using it on highly overclocked/overvoltaged CPU's and a rack full of 15,000 RPM drives.

I'd guess you're either planning on making a beer keg fridge or you're going to open a snow cone stand inside your computer. Or, maybe you're going to make a real-life Antarctic simulator and wanted to make sure it was cool enough for the midget penguins you're going to stuff in there.

Let us know what this rig is all about and what you're planning to cool with that sub-zero godzilla. In all seriousness, it really looks like you did a top-notch job on that puppy. Nice work.

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:28 pm

Not too shabby Mr Ford. I want one :-)

Let us know how well you get on with the water-cooling, I might stick some water-cooling on my new pc... only one thing, I've never made a system before, and I'm planning on going for a dually Opteron, possibly water cooled because my room will RE-RE-RE-RESONATE noise :-)

Talk about going in at the deep end,
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

Nemesis
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 25, 2002 9:19 pm

Well just a quick update, the project is now complete and here is some eye candy of the finished project:

Next job i think is to make some new faceplates for those drives!

Lights Camera Action!!

Under UV lights ^^

Large fannage in top acts as top blowhole and radiator cooling in one

Co-ordinated fan speed controller, One knob is not glowing as that channel is switched off ;-)

Thats about it for now, will hopefully get around to making some web pages in the future, time permitting. Any questions or comments please post away!!

Cases and Power Supplies

General Hardware

Dissonance
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:51 pm

Fix those drive bays and you'll have a damn fine looking case. Heck, who am i kidding, it looks pretty good now. Makes me think I should post photos of mine, you know, for an ugliest least modified case thread.

RandomNull
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 25, 2002 11:36 pm

good job nemesis.
need to stealth those drives, rid urself of useless floppy, and paint that audigy to match case, can get the stuff newhere online.
would say foch that audigy but eh can use what ya want, and besides the GTXP wont fit in a 5 1/4 drive =P
otherwise fantastic job!