Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Kevin
Administrator

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:20 pm

ZooTech wrote:
Yes, after all, the discussion is always over once you've had a chance to make the last post then lock the thread. Chalk another one up for Kevin after this post no doubt...

Who said the discussion was over? I specifically said to take it to PM if you had anything further to say. What do you think would happen then? That I'd just ignore you? Sure I may not always be timely in responding to all my personal messages but I do my best to make sure that they get answered. Heck, you should know as much. Time and time again I have put my friendship with mattsteg on the line to keep you two from each other's throats. It hasn't been 100% successful but I think that it's gotten a heck of a lot better lately. Anyways, that's a whole different issue. I just bring it to the table to provide some evidence that I'm willing to listen to people's complaints and act on them if I believe that it's necessary no matter WHO is involved.

ZooTech wrote:
That's my point, it WASN'T just "sarcasm" or a "wise-crack".

Well, the moderator on the spot doesn't agree with you and I don't agree with you. It reads like sarcasm. I'm sorry that you don't agree with me.

ZooTech wrote:
Gee, sorry for existing... Guess I'll take my red-headed step-child self and crawl back into the Back Porch where my radical right-wing crackpot views, lack of PhD, and I belong...

You just aren't understanding my point. That one comment is the only issue. Of course I'm not suggesting that you never post outside of the Back Porch. That's just absurd. The rest of this argument results from your over-moderation comment and your refusal to discuss issues with moderators in PM.

ZooTech wrote:
Yes, after all, this argument is obvious proof that I shiver in your presence... :roll:

I brought it up to say that you had been reprimanded for this exact same issue before and it apparently wasn't a big deal then. Why has that changed? Why is it such a big deal now?

ZooTech wrote:
No no, don't ban me from TR! Even though it's essentially gone to sh*t lately!

Yes, I'm going to ban you because you argue with me. :roll: That has never happened and it will never happen. The only people who have ever been banned were spammers and trolls. There were two times where I had to ban users just to get their attention since they didn't respond to my attempts to communicate. But those bans didn't last very long.

And why do you insist on making this personal? Do you think that pissing me off is the best way to get your arguments heard? Why can this not remain as a simple, relaxed discussion on implementation of the forum rules and guidelines? I'm sorry if you see this whole situation as yet another example of the great forum conspiracy against you. I have no personal axe to grind, I'm just trying to help make the forums run smoothly. The purpose of this forum is to allow people of all skill levels to ask for and receive help. It's also here so that people like you and me can discuss various aspects of the tech world (or even the world at large).

Look, I understand that you think the moderator was out of line. I can even understand your reasoning behind it. But I don't agree with you. I feel that the moderator acted within the posted forum rules and moderator guidelines. And no, I'm not just providing a united front. If I thought that a moderator acted inappropriately, I would say so.

Kevin

ZooTech
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:35 pm

ZooTech wrote:
No computer skills and 1GB of RAM - sounds like a winning combination! :roll: :wink:

Ahhh... the infamous wise crack that managed to hijack this thread and turn it into another Mod vs. Radical discussion...

From this comment, I get the idea that ZooTech doesn't think a computer novice needs 1GB of RAM. If I remember right, Captain Ned was asking his fellow TR members to comment on his "sanity" in choosing his particular setup for this 62yo end-user. While I do not believe he [Ned] is actually insane, I do not see the point in wasting $80.00 on silicon that will never see a "1" or "0" while in the hands of a computer illiterate.

If my comment didn't make Ned stop for even one micro-second and question his reasoning behind equipping this PC with such an (IMO) overkill amount of memory than I APPOLOGIZE TO HIM, YOU, THE MOD, AND THE REST OF THE WORLD! LET IT BE SHOUTED FROM THE MOUNTAIN TOPS!!!
Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant
like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:58 pm

ZooTech wrote:
From this comment, I get the idea that ZooTech doesn't think a computer novice needs 1GB of RAM. If I remember right, Captain Ned was asking his fellow TR members to comment on his "sanity" in choosing his particular setup for this 62yo end-user. While I do not believe he [Ned] is actually insane, I do not see the point in wasting $80.00 on silicon that will never see a "1" or "0" while in the hands of a computer illiterate.
Did you happen to look at the tasks that said user was interested in accomplishing with his new system, and the length of time he planned to hold on to it? HTPC stuff has the potential to use a lot of memory, as does casual/light gaming by his children/grandchildren. Also, today's enormous amount of memory is tomorrow's tiny amount and the metaphorical day after that's pidly amount. 5 years ago 256MB was enormous and 128MB was high-mainstream, much like 1024/512 today. In a couple of years, if this user chooses to run contemporary software, 512 might start to be a little confining. It's a small part of the price, why not throw in some more memory? It's not really a cut and dry case in either direction. Also, I know plenty of "computer noobs" that would or do gain from a ton of memory - knowledge or lack thereof does not always preclude people from using software that eats memory for breakfast. A little bit of reasoning mixed in with the sarcasm would go a long way.

ZooTech

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:05 pm

mattsteg wrote:
ZooTech wrote:
Did you happen to look at the tasks that said user was interested in accomplishing with his new system, and the length of time he planned to hold on to it? HTPC stuff has the potential to use a lot of memory, as does casual/light gaming by his children/grandchildren. Also, today's enormous amount of memory is tomorrow's tiny amount and the metaphorical day after that's pidly amount. 5 years ago 256MB was enormous and 128MB was high-mainstream, much like 1024/512 today. In a couple of years, if this user chooses to run contemporary software, 512 might start to be a little confining. It's a small part of the price, why not throw in some more memory? It's not really a cut and dry case in either direction. Also, I know plenty of "computer noobs" that would or do gain from a ton of memory - knowledge or lack thereof does not always preclude people from using software that eats memory for breakfast. A little bit of reasoning mixed in with the sarcasm would go a long way.

My point, while apparently easy to lose, was that my comment (argue all day long whether it's logical or not) was NOT sarcasm or a wise crack. Forgive me for not pouring my heart and soul into every post and for clicking SUBMIT even when my post doesn't take up an entire screen. Every huge "attack ZooTech" thread starts out with this same kind of argument over semantics or some other pathetic misunderstanding. Sometimes the best thing a mod can do to "correct" a problem is wait to see if it even is one to begin with.

Kevin
Administrator

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:47 pm

ZooTech wrote:
Sometimes the best thing a mod can do to "correct" a problem is wait to see if it even is one to begin with.

I agree. However, there are certainly plenty of times where instant action is required in order to diffuse a situation. It's a fine line to walk and there are no "right" answers. The moderator on the spot makes a judgment call based on the available information. Obviously you disagreed with this specific call but I didn't think it was out of line. So there's not much to do other then to agree to disagree and go back to arguing about gay marriage or (insert hot R&P topic here). :D

ZooTech wrote:
Every huge "attack ZooTech" thread starts out with this same kind of argument over semantics or some other pathetic misunderstanding.

If it's just a misunderstanding, why make such a huge deal out of it? Why take it so personally? I'm not out to get you and I would certainly hope that the rest of the moderators aren't either. We can't know what you are thinking so we have to make the call based on what we see.

ZooTech

Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:56 pm

Kevin wrote:
All Your Base Are Belong To Us

Well, all I can say is I've seen less drama on an episode of "My So-Called Life"... :roll:

We're grown men here with careers, degrees, families, etc... and yes, on the occasion you referred to my post was just simply irrelevant and unhelpful - but this time was different. Sorry if ya'll smelled the beginnings of a flame war, but there was no fire in my camp I assure you. I thought my comment was easy to understand and to the point. In any case, a personal attack/wise-crack it was not...

Dposcorp

Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:06 am

If you do not mind Kevin, I'm locking this.
Captain Ned got the feedback he was looking for.
If he has more questions, he can always start a new thread.

Captain Ned wrote:
Thanks for the input; was just the sort of sanity check I was looking for.

You are welcome; hope you enjoyed the ride. :wink: