Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Guitarzan
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

SHUTTLE SV25 Power Supply Modification / fan noise

Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:39 pm

For those who have followed the discussions on this forum about the fan noise from the Shuttle SV24 and SV25, Here's a guaranteed solution that will literally cut the noise in half. The problem is mainly with the tiny little 40mm fan in the power supply. That thing is terribly noisy!

After turning it on once and hearing the horrible racket that the factory fan made, I immediately replaced it with a much higher quality fan that is virtually silent. I replaced it with a higher CFM, lower noise fan... This one:
http://www.startech.com/ststore/itemdet ... =FAN4X2LP4

If I remember correctly, the stock fan is rated at 6CFM and 35db (though mine sounded like 45db!) This new fan is a mere 23db and moves slightly more air than the factory fan. The only noise now is the noise from the CPU fan and the fan at the back. Now, this little box is no more noisy than any stock mini-tower system. Much better! :D

The upgrade is really simple and takes about 10 minutes if you're handy with a soldering iron. Rather than running new wires, I simply clipped the stock wires and soldered the new fan to those, followed by heat shrink tubing.

I also tried replacing the stock fan at the back of the system with two different 60mm fans. Neither fan reduced the noise level, even though they blew a bit more air. I decided to just leave the factory fan in. Several people have done various cooling mods to this system. After running for over 10 hours, my system wasn't abnormally hot. The CPU was at 110 degrees F, which is waaay below the maximum temperature for the Celeron. Even under heavy stress - rapid MP3 conversion using the CD-ROM and on-the-fly MPEG compression, the CPU only went up to 112 degrees over a period of about an hour of 100 percent processer use. The case may seem to run a little hot but that's because it's so small. In reality, my full-size system with multiple fans runs slightly hotter than the SV25, but doesn't "seem" like it's running hot.

After taking some temperature readings and comparing them to my many other systems, I now believe that heat is not a problem on this box. The aluminum case dissipates heat more rapidly because of the smaller size box, but in reality, it doesn't get hotter in there than any of my other systems - it was actually cooler.

Anyway, I decided I didn't want to go with a computer in my home theater system after all, so my little SV25 is up for sale along with the 1.3GHz Celeron processor, hard drive, RAM, CD, etc. Here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2036722050

Guitarzan

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:34 pm

eBay wrote:
Be the envy of your friends as you walk into your next LAN party with your CPU under your arm and a big grin on your face. :-)

Hey, it's not that hard, CPUs aren't that big, although it depends how big your arms are... if you're Nic Nak from James Bond: The Man With The Golden Gun, it could be quite difficult :-) Watch out for Electrostatic Discharge from your shirt though, that would be highly embarrasing :-)

Just kidding,
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

Guitarzan
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:12 pm

IntelMole wrote:
eBay wrote:
Be the envy of your friends as you walk into your next LAN party with your CPU under your arm and a big grin on your face. :-)

Hey, it's not that hard, CPUs aren't that big, although it depends how big your arms are... if you're Nic Nak from James Bond: The Man With The Golden Gun, it could be quite difficult :-)

LOL!!! :lol: Yeah, no kidding! Hey, if I was still doing the LAN-party all night gaming thing, this machine would definitely be my best pal. I can't tell you how many times I lugged a mid-tower box up and down the stairs. The real killer was the 17" CRT monitor, though. :roll: Viva la LCD!

TheCollective
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:01 am

I completely removed both fans from mine and inserted a PCI slot blower as it is a sleeve bearing fan and much more quiet. Watching hours upon hours of Divx my processor never gets above 45 degrees C which is pretty good for a 733 Pentium III in such a closed environment. I also switched the stock CPU fan for something a bit less noisy. It moves less air though and that is what I blame for CPU temps that are a little on the warm side. I may decide to put a fan back in the PSU. Not sure.
Resistance is futile.