Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Xenolith
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Build me a system!

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:00 am

I have a p4 1.8a CPU, a 60GB notebook hard drive, and an extra stick of 512 MB PC-2700 memory (not so-dimm). I want to build a system as small as you can get around these items. I have a USB 2.0 enclosure that I will be using to hook up optical drives with, so a CD/DVD drive isn't needed. Will mostly be used as a file or game server.

Have fun!

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:09 am

So let me get this straight...............

You want us to do the research, make suggestions and give you the final word of what to buy?? :-?

It's one thing to ask questions as to what we think of certain components you are interested in, but to just dump the project in our laps and say "do it for me" I don't think you'll get any takers on this one.

I suggest you get off your lazy behind and do it yourself, but then again that's just my $0.02.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Xenolith
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:59 pm

All I am looking for is a cheap Motherboard/Case combo that will work with those components. I haven't found anything in a "book" form factor.... soooo hence the question.

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:03 pm

I will give you a hint. TR has done reviews of both the motherboard and case that would work for you. Take the 5 minutes to look around ;) Oh and get a simple 44-40 pin laptop hard drive adapter. From here you should be good to go :)
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

Xenolith
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:29 pm

Did TR do a review on the Jadetec P4/2400 Micro PC? I found that at Tom Hardware except I didn't want an optical drive (make the system even smaller). I also hoping to use up this regular system memory, but I might have to bite the bullet on that one.