Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

DunKnow
Gerbil
Topic Author

dont know much

Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:24 pm

hey guys...what up....i dont really know much about enclosures so i could use some help...i think im gonna be running a AMD XP 1800 [motherboard i dunno yet] and i heard those creat a lot of heat so i was wondering what case i should get/look for...my cousin told me to get one w/ rear and front fans, anybody have any names i should check out?
thanks
atw

RandomNull
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:28 pm

Well I would recommend a chen-ming case it's the same thing as the Antec cases but is not branded to make it cost more.
<shameless plug> You can see what they look like at the site for which I work for and who are advertised here on TR http://www.coolerguys.com </shameless plug>
Other good cases include Lian-Li aluminum cases but they are much more pricey then the former I mentioned.
Hope you find something that can fit your price range as well as your needs.

DunKnow
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:24 pm

as my member name suggests, i dont know anything....but holy moly, $300 for a case? does it come w/ a motherboard and processor too? shiiiiett...no offense RandomNull but anybody know where i can find some decent cases < $50?
atw

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:48 pm

You can buy the Chenming or Chieftec copies of the Antec performance series for under $50. . . without a power supply. You'd better be prepared to pay more like $80-$110 for a premium case with a high-quality power supply.

I like the new
[url=http://www.antec-inc.com/en_perf_plushome.html]ImageImage
Antec Performance Plus[/url] series of cases.

A cheap mid-tower ATX case might set you back only $35-40 with an off-brand power supply, but it is likely to be inferior in one way or another to the premium cases. A little over a year and a half ago, I bought a couple of attractive mid-tower cases with power supplies for $31 each. I had to modifiy both of them by drilling holes in the lower portion of the plastic front bezels to get adequate ventilation for 750MHz Duron systems. They were contructed of very lightweight sheet metal compared to the heavy steel panels of the Antec cases, but if you don't sit on your case or kick it too hard, that shouldn't be a problem. If not for one of the DEER brand power supplies failing, I would still have considered the cheap cases to be a good deal at that price, but a failed power supply is unacceptable and not everyone is patient enough to drill ventilation holes in a new case to get it to work right.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Thu Jul 25, 2002 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RandomNull
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:53 pm

Hmmm must not have looked close enough.
There are only a few of our cases which are over $300.
We have barebone no frills chen-mings for 89.99.
Come w/3 fans, removeable drive bays and thubscrews.
Also have a few other cases for 100-150$ which are very nice and provide adequate cooling.
Hopefully you can find something.

johnleiwoo
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jul 25, 2002 11:12 pm

hey dude........here's a really good case thats identical to the Antec 1030/1040 series. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.a ... 651&DEPA=1

Or u can go to Best Buy n check out their Antec 830X cases. I bought one there for 75 bux when the listed price was 99. Thats a very good deal since ordering most cases online is gonna run u at least 15 bux shipping. So check it out.........highly recommend.

DunKnow
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 26, 2002 1:19 am

well for some reason im really liking that case, the cheapest one that is...79.99......the whole clear idea w/ blue LEDs inside, thats tight...say, RandomNull, if i do happen to end up buying from coolerguys.com , you think you could throw in a couple cathode rays juss cuz you coo like that? haha...you shoot and hope for tha best.....and that will provide more than enough cooling for AMD XP 1800 running games like crazy and sounds and movies and stuff correct? if so, might fit in my budget
atw

dagenhammark
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jul 26, 2002 1:27 pm

Any idea where you can get Antec Performance Plus in the UK?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:31 pm

dagenhammark wrote:
Any idea where you can get Antec Performance Plus in the UK?

I assume that you have looked at the Antec Europe site.

They mention ebuyer, insight, jungle, Simply, and PC Upgrader for on-line sources; Global, Misco, Kustom PCs and PC Upgrader for retail sources; and Computer 2000 as their UK distributor.

In Europe, the US' "Performance Plus Series" is known as the "Performance II Series." Thus, where the US has a model called "PLUS1060", the UK has a similar model:
[url=http://www.antec-europe.com/en_perf2_1035_b.html]Image
SX1035 II UK[/url].

Ebuyer offers it for £82.54.

dagenhammark
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jul 27, 2002 7:30 am

On the antec europe site, they also offer the performance plus, see here

here

which is different from the performance 2,

as here they list the performance, the performance 2 and the performance plus, which are all different, the perf+has the true power psu instead which i'd prefer.

so you should be able to get the perf plus in the UK. I have looked at all the sites they list but they don't seem to have them yet.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 27, 2002 11:34 am

Good point. I didn't pick up on the difference in the power supplies. I did look at all of the linked sites and see that they did not have the Performance Plus series, and then I went back to see what the heck an "SX1030B II UK" might be. Those e-tailers seem to be offering the TruePower power supplies separately. You could always do a little mixing and matching of your own if you really wanted to match the US models.

DunKnow
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:19 am

i was looking through coolerguys.com and i juss wanna make sure, but the cases im looking at are in the low range, $89-99, and they do NOT come w/ power supplies correct?...to clarify, im looking at the Custom Chenming w/ window kit & Crystal fan , $99.99
atw

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:18 am

So,, how much difference is there really between Antec's cases and Chieftecs Dragon series or Chen-Ming's cases.

Are they really copies. Or just branded by their respective sellers. Or....

Cheers

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:55 am

DunKnow, pick up a Enlight 7237 for about $50 and you'll be fine. Trust me, you don't need all this high dollar custom stuff. As for the case being cool enough for an XP 1800, well, it's working fine on my XP1500@XP1800.