The -1st Annual Detroit TR BackPorch BBQ- Thread

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Postposted on Fri May 14, 2004 4:35 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:Gotcha...

But will there be enough room? I thought several of you guys would be coming in the same car?

The trunk? :D
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse
HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Fri May 14, 2004 4:37 pm

Yea, there's room in the trunk for Howard if needed. :lol:
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman
redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Fri May 14, 2004 6:57 pm

LOL I think I feel a little slow right now...

:oops:
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Mon May 17, 2004 8:10 am

BUMP cuz this thread is all-important.

Any advice is appreciated when it comes to party planning. I should make a list of:

1. Who is coming
2. Who is bringing what
3. What food, etc. I need to buy
4. What party supply stuff I have coming (tent, poker table, etc.)
5. What stuff Howard is going to bake, and how much said stuff costs to reimbuse him.

Much to do, never organized something like this before.
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Mon May 17, 2004 9:40 am

Be sure to take pics for those of us who cant be there :wink:
Easily Distracted Genius
brainchild786
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon May 17, 2004 10:04 am

brainchild786 wrote:Be sure to take pics for those of us who cant be there :wink:

oh there'll be plenty of still digi pix and live mpeg action films of this
event... be sure of that! :)
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon May 17, 2004 10:38 am

thegleek wrote: live mpeg action films of this event... be sure of that! :)

Of course, only reduced quality files in 10 sec. intervals will be freely available to download. Only members of The Smoky Back Room will have access to the full-length high-quality video with sound, including the ever-popular "HowardDrake's Traveling Tijuana Donkey Show" footage!
Good bye everyone.
Action Jim
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon May 17, 2004 10:50 am

DAMN! :evil: I just got back from Michigan and Chicago... Landed at O'Hare, drove up the coast to Holland, visited the folks and then back to the windy city for the weekend! Now, I'm back in Texas and you guys are having a party... Oh well. I will have to have my own #^!(@'ing party 8)
I have nothing more to say about that.
Xylker
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon May 17, 2004 10:53 am

Action Jim wrote:Of course, only reduced quality files in 10 sec. intervals will be freely available to download. Only members of The Smoky Back Room will have access to the full-length high-quality video with sound, including the ever-popular "HowardDrake's Traveling Tijuana Donkey Show" footage!

HAHAHA! Oh dear, that just made my day. Thanks Jim. :D
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
Kevin
Administrator

Postposted on Mon May 17, 2004 5:15 pm

Action Jim wrote: including the ever-popular "HowardDrake's Traveling Tijuana Donkey Show" footage!

Not to be a downer but.... I don't mind paying for HD's baking supplies, but I aint chippin' in for no wierd Donkey shows.

*I'm still bringing beer to. again not for the Donkey
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Mon May 17, 2004 5:31 pm

Have no fear, no donkeys. But side dish and dessert suggestions would be appreciated :)
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse
HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon May 17, 2004 5:59 pm

So what damn weekend is this? I've read about 14 different dates in this thread. Someone better make up there damn mind so I know if I can attend or not.

If I can come I would officially reliquich Frobozz from the grill. I take my char-broiling as seriously as JBI takes his beer. :D

I always do the grilling at Lions and Michigan Football games. Besides I have three recipies that are family secrets. If I told them too you, I would have to kill you. :o

Only problem is I am out of venison and my baby back ribs take 6 hours to prepare. :(

However I can still easily make my famous burger, get some beer brats, and for those interested I can make my famous NY strip marinade.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon May 17, 2004 6:24 pm

PRIME1 wrote:*I'm still bringing beer to. again not for the Donkey

Fine. I"LL bring the friggin beer for the donkey.
After all the different types of penetration, I know he'll appreciate some beer.

EDIT: Darn, didn't mean to spoil any of the show for those that haven't seen it.

If this thing really goes on, and I am not working, i'll have to pop on by.
Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon May 17, 2004 6:46 pm

z-man wrote:So what damn weekend is this? I've read about 14 different dates in this thread. Someone better make up there damn mind so I know if I can attend or not.

June 6th Hope it's big enough for you ;)
HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue May 18, 2004 10:27 am

yeah

what most of u dont realize. the conversation in this thread gets more
valid as it goes on... but if u ALSO look and read the friggin TITLE of
this thread, u will notice it has a DATE in it. and it's not gunna change.

june 6th is set in stone.
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue May 18, 2004 10:40 am

Heh...the gleek hath spoken............................once again :lol:
LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue May 18, 2004 11:32 am

Yeah, Gleek can come off as...abrasive...sometimes.
He means no harm (Starman anyone?)
He talks the same way in real life. You guys are in for a treat! :-)

Z-Man: Be my guest. I seem to have a problem determining when things are cooked all the way through (we like most stuff well done) and it seems like I'm always having to grill stuff a 2nd time to finish cooking it. Like what looks done in sunlight isn't done when you look at it in room light. Frustrating.

Tonight, if I have time, I'll PM the other Michiganders that haven't responded in this thread yet like I said I was going to do last week...

Must think of potential foodstuffs for Howard to bring. My wife suggested cookies and brownies since they will be easy to transport from the windy city. Although Howards says that don't matter cuz he'll have a cooler. Hmmmm
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue May 18, 2004 11:41 am

I've just found out that i'm leaving Monday instead of Sunday so i've been thinking about coming. Just wondering what is an estimated time to get there from Grand Rapids?

I'm also a little nervous about going because I don't really know anybody. The main reason not knowing anybody is because I don't post much. I just don't want to drive a few hours and be bored.

Eric
nulldev06
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Tue May 18, 2004 11:47 am

nulldev06 wrote:I've just found out that i'm leaving Monday instead of Sunday so i've been thinking about coming. Just wondering what is an estimated time to get there from Grand Rapids?

I'm also a little nervous about going because I don't really know anybody. The main reason not knowing anybody is because I don't post much. I just don't want to drive a few hours and be bored.

Eric

Short answer is gleek will be there. Boring is not an option, and have you heard of MapQuest? ;) According to them Grand Rapids - Detroit is 157 miles, or about 2 hours the way most people drive. Go for it!
HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue May 18, 2004 12:11 pm

What time does it start? Don't remember see a time anywhere.
nulldev06
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Tue May 18, 2004 12:12 pm

Heh...or 27 hours by Greyhound...sound familiar :lol:
LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue May 18, 2004 12:38 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:Z-Man: Be my guest. I seem to have a problem determining when things are cooked all the way through (we like most stuff well done) and it seems like I'm always having to grill stuff a 2nd time to finish cooking it. Like what looks done in sunlight isn't done when you look at it in room light. Frustrating.

Welcome to the club. I'm colorblind, so I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to determining when stuff is done. At least when it comes to beef, my entire family likes it rare... so as long as the outside is seared, I'm OK. Pork and chicken are another story though...
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue May 18, 2004 12:50 pm

nulldev06 wrote:What time does it start? Don't remember see a time anywhere.

Good Question.

Since it's a Sunday, it's not going to be a late-night thing. People aren't going to be staying over or anything. How about 1 or 2pm start time, 11pm end time or somewhere in there. Sound good?

As far as not knowing anyone...I'm going to have a house and yard full of relative strangers, initally known only by what we see here on TR. It's going to be a new experience for me as well. I don't think you will be bored. We will have beer, food, movies, games, and Euchre and Texas Hold'em Poker going on. I think we should just play for fun at this point (no $$). A good time will be had by all. The point to this is to meet people you see on TR face-2-face and socialize and maybe make some real friendships out of it.

By all means, come! 2+ hours isn't a major haul and it'll be a great way to spend a Sunday.
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue May 18, 2004 2:19 pm

nulldev06 wrote:I'm also a little nervous about going because I don't really know anybody. The main reason not knowing anybody is because I don't post much. I just don't want to drive a few hours and be bored.

someone PLZ tell me he didnt just say the -B- word.... :roll:
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue May 18, 2004 8:24 pm

Well now that the date and time is set I have ordered up the strippers. They should be there about 4 PM.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue May 18, 2004 9:45 pm

PRIME1 wrote:Well now that the date and time is set I have ordered up the strippers. They should be there about 4 PM.

I thought the donkeys were gonna take care of the show part; well, them or the midgets. :o
Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue May 18, 2004 9:59 pm

Strippers and donkeys? :o
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue May 18, 2004 10:48 pm

Hehe...and your not going JBI...remember :wink:
LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue May 18, 2004 11:00 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:Well now that the date and time is set I have ordered up the strippers. They should be there about 4 PM.

I thought the donkeys were gonna take care of the show part; well, them or the midgets. :o

No donkeys, sorry people. But strippers will be interesting. On a more or less practical note, I realize that there will be tons of meat products here. I'll definitely work on a huge garden salad, what other side dishes do you people want me to make?
HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed May 19, 2004 7:02 am

No donkeys and no strippers will be coming to the party.

There's probably some city ordanance about donkeys and my wife wouldn't appreciate strippers very much unfourtunately.

Besides, my living room area isn't big enough for strippers. You need room to throw down a blanket so they can put on a good show with each other and...tools... - with room for admirers to gather round and throw money and hold limbs outta the way. My house isn't right for that. My basement is a disaster area.

You were probably joking anyway I'm sure, but we don't wanna send the wrong impression about strippers. If I agreed to that, we would have geeks from all over the country showing up LOL...
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch