Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Integrating Windows 2003 Terminal Services

Tue May 25, 2004 12:46 pm

Hi all,

I got a small problem here... I've written a VC++(6.0) DLL targeted for local use on Windows XP/2000/98. That DLL has been working great for years.

Now marketing has promised a customer that we can deliver the DLL for use in a Terminal Services Mode on Windows 2003.

Any suggestions on how to go about this? I've played a little bit with the Remote Desktop Environment and have been able to call my app from a client PC, but then the App looks for the DLL on the client side, not the server. Taking my DLL out of the equation, and putting the system calls directly in my app, the app will work. At this time, my guess is that the way the DLL was built originally doesn't allow an instance to be instanced on the client side, where as the windows 2003 system dll is instanced on the client side.

The only problem is I don't know how to do this. I'm just picking Visual Studio .NET, so I have access to a variety of tools, but I don't know how to use them. I would welcome any suggestions on how to either build a wrapper, or rewrite the library, or where to look...

Thanks,
-Cent

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue May 25, 2004 1:04 pm

You probably need to adjust how you install onto the server. You may also need to rewrite some code, depending on what you're doing and how well it works if multiple users are running it at once; you should be able to find what you need starting here

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Tue May 25, 2004 1:17 pm

Thanks, I'll keep looking there...

I should probably mention that I'm not doing the final app.. the customer is purchasing the API from us and doing their own app... since the API is a legacy DLL, I don't know if this will solve the problem if they don't build their app correctly...

-Cent