The -1st Annual Detroit TR BackPorch BBQ- Thread

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Postposted on Fri May 28, 2004 12:35 pm

Ok, FroBozz, are you getting premade hamburger patties? Not going to work if that is the case.

Let me make sure that I can make it early next week. If I can, I will bring the burgers and the brats. On my tab. I just need a pattie count, roughly.

I can cook anything else you might want to throw at me. Also I can bring some Cherry BBQ sauce I get from a small place near TC. I've got plenty of jars to spare a couple.

You do have one grill right? I can bring mine and have two going at the same time.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Fri May 28, 2004 12:43 pm

I almost forgot. If I come it will be for about 3-4 hours. With my wifes school schedule I just cannot break free for longer then that.

So I will come a little early, work the grill for a while, shoot the $hit and then you guys are on your own. So if the quality of food drops, it's not my fault. :D

It's scheduled for a 1 o'clock start right? It's not on the front page.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat May 29, 2004 1:00 pm

Just picked up a couple bottles of Spurgeon Vinyards Mead to add to the liquid refreshments. I've had it before, pretty good.
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman
redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat May 29, 2004 1:01 pm

Oh. Does anyone else drink anything other than beer?
redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat May 29, 2004 3:33 pm

Hey, are we really doing a swap meet type thingy at the BBQ?
I got some goodies I could bring.

Also, I could place a sticky thread in the BB (as long as Kevin doesn?t mind), and people can post what items they are bringing, and/or what they are looking for.
I have some nics, video cards, socket A motherboard, etc...

Plus, as we get closer, is there anything that still needs to be done, or Items that need to be accounted for?

Lastly, how much is the cash for the food donation?

Has anyone done a final approximate head count?
Should we figure one out by posts?
Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat May 29, 2004 4:03 pm

I'm a big margarita fan myself :)
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Sat May 29, 2004 4:05 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:I'm a big margarita fan myself :)

Blended or straight (on the rocks?)
redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat May 29, 2004 4:09 pm

On the rocks as long as it's good tequila, blended otherwise.
I like the blue-agave aftertaste.
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Sat May 29, 2004 4:22 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:On the rocks as long as it's good tequila, blended otherwise.
I like the blue-agave aftertaste.

Hmm...I'll get some good tequila then. :D

Any brand in perticular you like? Salt for the rim? Limes?
redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat May 29, 2004 4:29 pm

Salted rim...good lime...Si :lol:
LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sat May 29, 2004 7:02 pm

I take mine minus the salt, but I really like the lime.
The best ones have a lime taste with a blue agave aftertaste.

Not sure what type I like best. If you've ever been to Chili's, my favorite recipe is their "3 G's" mararita....

Found the ingedients:

3 G's:
Sauza Tres Generaciones (100% Blue Agave), Tuaca
and fresh lime juice

I think the most important thing is the 100% blue agave
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Sat May 29, 2004 9:35 pm

I posted a geek question about trading hardware, and everyone ignores me and talks about Margaritas and how they like to drink them.
What is the world coming to?
Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat May 29, 2004 11:34 pm

Dposcorp wrote:I posted a geek question about trading hardware, and everyone ignores me and talks about Margaritas and how they like to drink them.

I just had a shot of Cabo Wabo Tequila 100% Blue Agave - Great Stuff!!!

Oh and HowardDrake, Frobozz & Myself have noted that we are bringing stuff to the event to buy, sell, trade, just plain get rid of.

If you want to post in the BB section that would be a good place to get a list going, and after the event if other people are interested in our left over junk we could work something out there as well.

Now we are just a week away so, a head count and any food tabs that need to be chipped in on would be good info. not to mention directions to the party.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark
PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Sun May 30, 2004 12:47 am

The Party Is One Week Away!
--- Status Update From Central Command ----

z-man wrote:Ok, FroBozz, are you getting premade hamburger patties? Not going to work if that is the case.

That's what I was going to get. But I won't since you are going to. :D

z-man wrote:Let me make sure that I can make it early next week. If I can, I will bring the burgers and the brats. On my tab. I just need a pattie count, roughly.

I'm figuring on 12-16 people showing up at this point. Two dozen patties+ maybe? What do you think? I'm going to summarize what's being brought and prepared here below...

z-man wrote: I can cook anything else you might want to throw at me. Also I can bring some Cherry BBQ sauce I get from a small place near TC. I've got plenty of jars to spare a couple.

You do have one grill right? I can bring mine and have two going at the same time.

I have one gas grill and a charcoal grill as well. Not sure if I have coal but I think I have fluid for that. I was thinking maybe I could use that (or a 2nd grill) for BBQ'ed baked potatoes.

z-man wrote:I almost forgot. If I come it will be for about 3-4 hours. With my wifes school schedule I just cannot break free for longer then that.

So I will come a little early, work the grill for a while, shoot the $hit and then you guys are on your own. So if the quality of food drops, it's not my fault.

It's scheduled for a 1 o'clock start right? It's not on the front page.

Yep, 1pm is the start time. Howard and the Chicago gang are going to show up a slightly earlier maybe so Howard can stat getting stuff ready.

Looking forward to a live demonstration of your grilling expertise...

Dposcorp wrote:Hey, are we really doing a swap meet type thingy at the BBQ?
I got some goodies I could bring..

I think that's the plan. Not sure where we could do it yet but we will see. I was thinking about the basement but I'm not sure if that's going to work or not (translation: I'm not sure I'm going to get around to cleaning the basement by then.) We will figure something out.

Dposcorp wrote:Also, I could place a sticky thread in the BB (as long as Kevin doesn?t mind), and people can post what items they are bringing, and/or what they are looking for.
I have some nics, video cards, socket A motherboard, etc..

That's cool...Either that or just bring whatever and perhaps a list of what you brought with you.

Dposcorp wrote:Plus, as we get closer, is there anything that still needs to be done, or Items that need to be accounted for?

Listing that below, still determining...

Dposcorp wrote:Lastly, how much is the cash for the food donation?

Um, not sure about that yet. You can help me give some money to HowardDrake to reimburse him for the fudge, cookie dough, corn bread and biscuit ingredients he is bringing. You also said you were goiing to bring beer and maybe a veggie tray so that's also a big help. If people bring coolers, we might need help getting some ice for them. Or perhaps if those bringing beer have coolers they can just bring stocked coolers. We'll figure it out one way or another.

Dposcorp wrote:Has anyone done a final approximate head count?
Should we figure one out by posts?

I'll list that below.

PRIME1 wrote:
Dposcorp wrote:I posted a geek question about trading hardware, and everyone ignores me and talks about Margaritas and how they like to drink them.

I just had a shot of Cabo Wabo Tequila 100% Blue Agave - Great Stuff!!!

Oh and HowardDrake, Frobozz & Myself have noted that we are bringing stuff to the event to buy, sell, trade, just plain get rid of.

If you want to post in the BB section that would be a good place to get a list going, and after the event if other people are interested in our left over junk we could work something out there as well.

Now we are just a week away so, a head count and any food tabs that need to be chipped in on would be good info. not to mention directions to the party.

I think will PM the directions to the known participants I will be listing below and if I miss anyone you can PM me....

** Those I think are showing up: (Chicagoans in bold, Unsure about intalics) **
1. FroBozz
2. Gleek
3. Z-Man
4. Dposcorp
5. Prime1
6. Nulldev06 ? - I think this is a yes...
7. HowardDrake
8. Action Jim
9. Redeye
10. Hawkwing74
11. Starfalcon
12. ManosHOF
13. Velvet Elvis ?

(My wife will be there, my brother-in-law and his GF might stop by as well. Someone from MI I thought said earlier in the thread that they might bring a buddy)

** List of who's bringing what to the party: **
HowardDrake: Fudge, Cookie Dough, ingredients for corn bread and biscuits, handcrafted beers from Just Brew It! to sample. He's also bringing a cast iron pan for the cornbread.
Dposcorp: Beer and a veggie tray
Prime1: Beer
Gleek: Beverages, Drinks, one table to set food up on. A bottle of his First Impressionz brew. He's also bring an 802.11b wireless access point for those with compliant laptops and or PDA's that wish to bring them along. The AP will be connected to the DMZ area on my network with 2MB/500K cable speed.
Z-Man: Burger patties and Brats, maybe another grill, help w/ grilling
Redeye: a couple bottles of Spergeon Vinytards Mead
Hawkwing74: Pepsi
My wife and I: Hot dogs, hot dog and hamburger buns (how big are your patties going to be, Z-Man?), paper plates and cups, napkins, a couple bags of Ice, condiments. I have a cooler maybe I can put Gleek's pop and drinks into. Still figuring out what else...probably a bag of potatoes and maybe a big thing of potato salad or something like that...

** What else do we need? **
More tables. I have 2 card tables and Gleek is bringing his DJ table. We could use a couple more I think especially if we want to use some table space for the hardware swap meet thing.
Not sure If I can get the poker table or not at this point...
Coolers would be good in case the beer doesn't fit in my fridge (don't think it will).
Maybe a couple more folding chairs would be nice.

I hope I have my car back in time for the party...*sigh*

Edit: 6/3/04 This info in this post has been updated on the next page!
Last edited by FroBozz_Inc on Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:25 am, edited 7 times in total.
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Sun May 30, 2004 12:59 am

Can anyone here spell my nick right. I've been referred to as Hawking like 3 times today. I'm not super-intelligent, I don't have a hot wife, I'm not confined to a wheelchair, I don't live in England, and I don't have any muscular disorders.

Thanks everyone.
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Postposted on Sun May 30, 2004 1:03 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:Can anyone here spell my nick right. I've been referred to as Hawking like 3 times today. I'm not super-intelligent, I don't have a hot wife, I'm not confined to a wheelchair, I don't live in England, and I don't have any muscular disorders.

Thanks everyone.

Sorry about that Hawkwing, post corrected.
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Sun May 30, 2004 1:05 am

Well he put a 74 after my name even though there is not one....I am sure it is because it is late.

Getting back to the question, is there anymore food or beverage items needed?
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Sun May 30, 2004 1:06 am

Starfalcon wrote:Well he put a 74 after my name even though there is not one....I am sure it is because it is late.

I didn't even notice that. I can bring some Pepsi for the non beer drinkers also.
Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Postposted on Sun May 30, 2004 1:14 am

LOL...fixed...ya it's cuz it's late.
Going to bed now...

Gleek? What do you think (Gleek was in charge of beverages)
I know Howard wanted some diet Pepsi.

Hawkwing74 wrote: I can bring some Pepsi for the non beer drinkers also.

Inventory updated.
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Sun May 30, 2004 8:24 am

FroBozz _Inc wrote:More tables. I have 2 card tables and Gleek is bringing his DJ table. We could use a couple more I think especially if we want to use some table space for the hardware swap meet thing.
Not sure If I can get the poker table or not at this point...
Coolers would be good in case the beer doesn't fit in my fridge (don't think it will).
Maybe a couple more folding chairs would be nice

I have 2 2'x6' folding tables, 7 folding chairs, and 1 smelly cooler that can be brought.
Good bye everyone.
Action Jim
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sun May 30, 2004 9:32 am

Even though I'm not going, I can give Action Jim a cooler that doesn't smell.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun May 30, 2004 9:34 am

My food thanks you idchafee :)
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse
HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sun May 30, 2004 11:09 am

If you want, I can bring a few bags of chips since I did not see anyone bringing any.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Sun May 30, 2004 1:30 pm

Starfalcon wrote:Well he put a 74 after my name even though there is not one....I am sure it is because it is late.

dont be too worried over all this shizzola... there's plenty of party stores
nearby if we need any last minute items.

and yes all flavours of pop is good. necessities are MT DEW, COKE, PEPSI,
DIET COKE/PEPSI, and other misc brands and stuff...

chips are always a nice addition, like DORITOS, BETTER MADE, FRITOS, etc...

and if i may suggest, if u ppl have a laptop with a wireless card, then
definately BRING IT! the wireless access point does work and you can
surf the web and post yer pix & thoughts on TR while yer there! haha

also. be sure to bring yer digicams and cameras to take plenty o'pix... :)

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee. so much fun and it's not even happening yet!

the chase is better then the catch right?
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun May 30, 2004 1:54 pm

** Those I think are showing up: (Chicagoans in bold, Unsure about intalics) **
1. FroBozz
2. Gleek
3. Z-Man
4. Dposcorp
5. Prime1
6. Nulldev06 ? - I think this is a yes...
7. HowardDrake
8. Action Jim
9. Redeye
10. Hawkwing74
11. Starfalcon
12. ManosHOF
13. Velvet Elvis ?

My brother might show up as well, BerserkBen.
profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5025

Dposcorp: Beer and a veggie tray

I probably wont be bringing any beer, but, I will bring veg tray, and probably a folding table or two. Since I have a sweet tooth, I'll probably bring some sweets as well, some kind of chocolate most likely.
Probably a couple of 12 packs of soda as well.

As far as chipping in, I think we'll be okay with a between $5 or $10 donation per person.
That is just a suggestion, but I have never been to a party or BBQ that required more then that per person for a good time.

The only time we need more money is when the booze runs out and people want to keep drinking. :)

I am also going to post a sticky thread in the BB, for those who want to list what they want to buy or what they want to sell.
Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun May 30, 2004 2:04 pm

THE TEMP STICKY BB SWAP MEET TRADE THREAD IS UP

viewtopic.php?t=17820

Let me know if it looks okay or if I should make any changes.
Dposcorp
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun May 30, 2004 4:42 pm

I make my burger around a 1/3 of pound. Big enough to satisfy but not grossly huge.

Also any allergies I should know about I do season things so I will make some plain ones if anyone has some issues.

Also If you are interested and you bring a steak, T-bone, NY, or porter I will bring my fixings to knock your socks off.

Lastly anything else I am to be cooking. Chicken, pork, etc? I have recipes for those items also, but I need to be forewarned.

One, more thing I have a ridiculously fun lawn came that can be played. But You would need about 40 feet of room FroBozz? Can it be done? No it is not horseshoes or Lawn darts, similar, but vastly different. It is usually the only thing I am required to bring when my friends arrange picnics. :D
zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sun May 30, 2004 9:43 pm

Yo Yo, I plan on being there with my brother Dposcorp but if there is a Pistons game on that night i'm not staying long!
BerserkBen
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:13 pm

Quick ping to bubble this thread back up, I'm knee deep in prep work for the next 4 days :lol: Good foodstuffs coming with me ;)
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse
HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:47 pm

BerserkBen wrote:Yo Yo, I plan on being there with my brother Dposcorp but if there is a Pistons game on that night i'm not staying long!

frobozz being the uber pistons fan, if the game is on i would like to think
he'd have it going on in his living room with the super duper extra large
screen he has in there.... yanno?
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch