Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

claymonkey
Gerbil
Topic Author

cube multimedia frontend?

Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:45 am

I remember there being a software project that made a front end for the SV24 or cubes in general. It gave you a easy to use interface for dvd, media players, emulators and what not. For the life of me I can't find the site and/or the bookmark I swear I made. Hint, I remember someone being able to use a Intel wireless joystick being able to control the whole thing. Anyone remember what this was? I'd greatly appreciate it.

claymonkey
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:20 pm

no one? I know I'm not crazy

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:43 pm

Two things.

There might have been, but since Intel isn't making their wireless joystick anymore, that kills that part of it.

And with the ATI Remote Wonder, you get all the control you need in a easy to manage package. So they might have abandoned it.

Just a thought.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

flungster
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:59 pm

Here's another possibility. I recently reviewed the gyration ultra mouse which would make a nice wireless device for controlling a PC say in a HTPC environment. You can see the review here
WhiningDog.NET

claymonkey
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:55 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, and that mouse does look cool. However, I was more interested in the aspect of the software that let you have a front end for multimedia so you didn't have to look at Windows, and the fact that you could control the computer with a gamepad.

flungster
Gerbil In Training

Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:13 pm

there's a couple of options in this dept. Have you checked out the AVSForums? (http://www.avsforum.com). There's a section for HTPC's and there's a good deal of info for possible different interfaces to handle multimedia other than windows. Also, I did a small review of a piece of s/w from Listman Tech but unfortunately it's not available to the end user directly but through VARs and it doesn't do videos :(
http://www.whiningdog.net/Reviews/Software/PC/Utilities/20020806-ListmanUnitedHome/
WhiningDog.NET

claymonkey
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:18 pm

Thanks for the links flungster. This might be just what i need. I'll let you all know what I find

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:22 am

Hmm, now that you say it.. i think i have that frontend downloaded somewhere, it was mainly for emulators, supports both nes and snes and some more, via the correct emu's of course and was controllable from the wireless ms gamepad. Havent looked at it for a while so it may support a lot more..

cheers

Bishop
Gerbil

Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:10 am

I just discovered this site yesterday. It seems like a frontend designed for a HTPC. With PVR and remote functionality.

You can check it out here
http://www.showshifter.com

Kuhtarl
Gerbil XP

Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:40 am

gyration ultra mouse

Is it just me, or does that sound dirty?

dmitriylm
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:54 am

Some people are crackheads and Im seeing it far too often. Someone makes a post, and then waits a couple hours, see's that there's no reply's and think that no one knows. You realize that we dont look at the forums every couple hours...