Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

F@H on and off?

Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:05 am

I'm about to get a Tablet PC. Actually, this question pertains to all laptops.

Is it possible to set it so that F@H only runs when the computer is plugged into AC power? I don't want it running down my batteries when I'm on the go in college. I'm not sure if it would be controlled by Windows, or by an intermediate program.

I figure it's better to ask before I buy, just so there's time for people to enlighten me :lol:
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

Dirge
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:55 am

The best thing I can think of is switching the F@H service off if you are running it in FireDaemon. If its the console you can just close it.

I guess this is probably a bit of an inconvieniance but just my two cents.
Last edited by Dirge on Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
FDISK /MBR

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:30 am

You can use task scheduler to do launch folding only when it's on AC, right?

mac_h8r1
Topic Author

Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:24 am

Yahoolian wrote:

I truly don't know; but seeing as though it should arrive later today, could anybody test it? I know some of you guys have laptops :points several fingers:

The sooner I find out how to do it, the sooner it's folding :)
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Slivovitz owns you.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:40 am

I don't have a notebook/laptop on hand presently to test this, but maybe you could do something like this:

Go to the power settings, choose the Alarms tab, and maybe set the thing to run "NET STOP [whatever you named the folding service]" when the battery gets below like 99% or something.

Don't know how to make it start up automatically again, though.

Checking Windows API help files quickly, there's stuff in winbase.h about battery/power event notifications, and perhaps you could quickly put together a program to react to them with use of the GetSystemPowerStatus() function, and that program could start or stop folding depending on the state returned.

MummRa
Gerbil

Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:57 am

Yahoolian wrote:

It works fine :) and there is a nice lil wizard so its all rather easy too.

I already use ST to fun folding on all my PCs as I can never be bothered to install Firedemon, and they all work fine.

Edit: A Short explanation (just so my post is more useful)

Control Panel / Scheduled Tasks

Add Scheduled Task – this takes you to the wizard.

Find the F@H exe, you will most likely need to provide a password in specifying who to run it ‘as’ (this can be a problem if you don’t normally use a password – or I found it to be, but I will assume that you do :))

Make sure you go into the advanced options –

Under Schedule, make sure you pick At System Start UP – that means it will fold with out you having to be logged into the computer!

Then, under settings make sure that you untick the “Stop the task if it runs for ….” Option, coz that’s silly.

On that same screen, there is a box that defaults to being ticked titled “Stop the task if battery mode begins” there are also some more options that you may want to play with.

And there you go :) the only problem I can see, starting folding again when you plug the thing in :/

HTH

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:17 am

I'll tell you what I've found to be easiest. I have a firedaemon icon on my desktop. When I unplug my laptop I double click and change one setting, it's startup option, from automatic to disabled. When I plug back in I change it back. It's literally three clicks away and takes me less effort than it did to type these last three words. :D
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:27 pm

Forum moderator must not have been all that urgent after all.

mac_h8r1
Topic Author

Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:33 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Forum moderator must not have been all that urgent after all.

uhm...huh?
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Slivovitz owns you.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:58 pm

Well, I think you said you needed this information quickly on another thread. So, what did you learn so far? You must have some sort of software for writing code so you should be able to explore the available APIs in Windows, if you can't find a Windows built-in way to re-start Folding when you plug back into AC.

mac_h8r1
Topic Author

Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:24 pm

Oh, I had linked to this thread from the SAGoons thread in the DC forum. The Tablet arrived today. Actually, I'm posting from the couch.

Anyways, I tried what Mummra suggested, and it works fine [thanks for testing]. However, it doesn't start up when the power is plugged back in.

I'm currently using LFK's approach, which isn't too terrible [thanks].

I will be looking into API coding. I've never done any API coding, but we'll see what I come up with.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Slivovitz owns you.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:51 pm

I don't think I ever heard a good explanation for the existence of a tablet PC, so maybe you can tell me what it's supposed to do, etc [edited: Now I see they have an XP for Tablet PCs].

Do you have a development environment of some sort you can use on it? If so, I've already given you the function call to use, depending on language of course, and you can just use the service files linked in the DC forums somewhere, and just brew it! also linked in the MS Windows SDK's URL somewhere on these forums. :D

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Jul 31, 2004 1:46 am

MummRa wrote:
Yahoolian wrote:

It works fine :) and there is a nice lil wizard so its all rather easy too.

I already use ST to fun folding on all my PCs as I can never be bothered to install Firedemon, and they all work fine.

Edit: A Short explanation (just so my post is more useful)

Control Panel / Scheduled Tasks

Add Scheduled Task – this takes you to the wizard.

Find the F@H exe, you will most likely need to provide a password in specifying who to run it ‘as’ (this can be a problem if you don’t normally use a password – or I found it to be, but I will assume that you do :))

Make sure you go into the advanced options –

Under Schedule, make sure you pick At System Start UP – that means it will fold with out you having to be logged into the computer!

Then, under settings make sure that you untick the “Stop the task if it runs for ….” Option, coz that’s silly.

On that same screen, there is a box that defaults to being ticked titled “Stop the task if battery mode begins” there are also some more options that you may want to play with.

And there you go :) the only problem I can see, starting folding again when you plug the thing in :/

HTH

thanks...we'll see if this guy works
EDIT: yup don't start automatically when you plug back in..but pretty good otherwise :)

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:12 pm

The new beta client says it solves this, so that's pretty good.

mac_h8r1
Topic Author

Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:36 pm

Yeah, that's bittersweet for me. It's good 'cause it'll be done, but bad because I won't be able to convince myself to sit down and learn to write with the API. Eh, maybe they'll post the source as well :wink:
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Slivovitz owns you.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:38 pm

Heh. Maybe you can come up with an installer that will automatically borg a machine in a few seconds. That might be worth some API research. :wink: