Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Skyline57GTR
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Which best is IBM X series laptop or R series?

Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:33 pm

Hey everyone

My friend want buy new IBM laptop. he need better wireless, more lighter weight, I don't know which a best X series or R series here

any which?
FX-55|Patriot 1GB DDR400|BFG 7600GT|Rosewill 550W PSU|Biostar nforce4 SLI|Samsung SATA 300GB HDD

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:38 pm

R is their "budget" series. X is their most compact series. T is their thin (but larger than X) series. A is their desktop replacement series.

Skyline57GTR
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:59 pm

Oh well, my friend is almost consider about T series, but he decide want buy X series. hm I think T series is better.
FX-55|Patriot 1GB DDR400|BFG 7600GT|Rosewill 550W PSU|Biostar nforce4 SLI|Samsung SATA 300GB HDD

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:12 pm

Skyline57GTR wrote:
Oh well, my friend is almost consider about T series, but he decide want buy X series. hm I think T series is better.
Neither is "better", they are products for different markets. The X series is focused more on mobility. It weighs around 2 pounds less less and offers better battery life. Those two characteristics are *very* important to a lot of people. Yes, the T series offers faster processors, larger screens (although the resolution is the same unless you get the highest-end T series), and a standard optical drive, but the X series offers everything a lot of people want/need in a laptop in a tiny, very portable package.

Skyline57GTR
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:21 pm

Yes, the T series offers faster processors, larger screens (although the resolution is the same unless you get the highest-end T series), and a standard optical drive, but the X series offers everything a lot of people want/need in a laptop in a tiny, very portable package.

That's what I say that. Well X series is more less weight, better processor, not much high resolution. T series is more balance performance less 40GB hard disk than X series have it, it both have Window XP Pro, and 256MB memory, but he don't need enough memory like 512MB.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:28 pm

Skyline57GTR wrote:
That's what I say that. Well X series is more less weight, better processor, not much high resolution. T series is more balance performance less 40GB hard disk than X series have it, it both have Window XP Pro, and 256MB memory, but he don't need enough memory like 512MB.
The point is that both are plenty fast enough, and the X series is a *lot* more portable (the difference in size and weight is very noticable). A laptop's only as good as how easily and how often you bring it with you. Assuming the keyboard is a comfortable size, small is *very* good for laptops, and for laptop stuff performance is sufficient with any of them.

Skyline57GTR
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:34 pm

hmm...I think your point is right. I gotta with X series. Thanks

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:41 pm

yes, it's a matter of figuring out your priorities. For someone who doesn't travel -- or just throws it in the trunk to move it between home and office -- a "desktop replacement" latop is fine. For someone who is on the road all the time with the laptop hanging off a shoulder, just doing email or presentations and light office work, a "desktop replacement" is a lousy choice.

Over the years I've had an ultraportable with an XGA screen for travel, and a much heavier machine with a much larger screen for dev work. Neither was "better"; it was just a mistake to try to make one do the job of the other. Both were plenty fast, except for the hard disk. I just wish I could get a sub 5lb machine with a large screen (say 16" at 1600x1200) but the technology just isn't there yet (at least not at prices any of us could pay). I'm hoping that organic displays on lightweight plastic substrates will one day make that a reality.

Unless your friend is doing something severely CPU intensive, I wouldn't worry too much about the processor. On a laptop a faster hard disk will make a much bigger difference. And he might not think he needs more memory than 256MB but he probably will, eventually. Once Windows starts swapping, with a slow laptop HD, you notice.

Skyline57GTR
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:44 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Unless your friend is doing something severely CPU intensive, I wouldn't worry too much about the processor. On a laptop a faster hard disk will make a much bigger difference. And he might not think he needs more memory than 256MB but he probably will, eventually. Once Windows starts swapping, with a slow laptop HD, you notice.

Yes, he probably will get 512MB...wait a second you are say slow laptop HD? I will notice it? Do you mean?

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:11 pm

Yes. Many laptop drives are 4200rpm. Try to get one that is at least 5400rpm. Toshiba makes some 7200rpm drives that are wonderful, but expensive and hard to find (in OEM configurations).

Pretty much all modern desktops use 7200rpm drives or better, so you defnitely notice the slower laptop drives. And the less RAM you have, the more Windows relies on swapping to disk, so the bigger impact that slower drive has on how responsive the laptop feels.