Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

b0nes
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:18 am

I am thinking about buying an AMD Athlon XP 1700 cpu. What is the difference between the OEM version of this particular CPU and the RETAIL version. Besides the obvious manufacturer's warranty, and whether it comes w/ a fan and heatsink. Is there a performance difference? Thanx

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Drunkmonk on 2002-02-04 01:22 ]</font>

combo
Gerbil

Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:38 am

There is no performance difference between Retail and OEM, they are the same chip. If anything, they oem would be better since you can buy your own high performance heat sink and keep it cooler.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: combo on 2002-02-04 01:40 ]</font>

Kevin
Administrator

Mon Feb 04, 2002 10:21 pm

Yeah, there isn't any performance difference. Sometimes you can get an AMD case badge sticker with your retail CPU. But other then that (unless it comes with a bundled HSF), there isn't any difference. Check the place that you are buying the CPU from and sometimes the price difference is only a few dollars (which probably implies that you get a sticker and a nice fancy box).
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

VooBass
Gerbil XP

Mon Feb 04, 2002 10:56 pm

I'm not sure how important this is but a system builder told me recently that OEM pieces tend to have been handled more and therefore there is an increased likelihood with OEM pieces that they have had 'hidden' static energy discharge damage. Such damage doesn't always show up as total destruction but as a 'crack' that sets conditions in place for accelerated deterioration down the road. Maybe.

NTGuru
Gerbil In Training

Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:31 am

The MAIN difference between OEM and retail CPUs is the warranty period. OEM CPUs are NOT warrantied by AMD at all. Most OEM CPUs are warrantied only 15-30 days through the place of purchase. Retail CPUs come with a 3 year warranty through AMD. I'll admit that the HSF is not the greatest, but I'll spend $20-$30 for a 3 year warranty and a decent HSF. Another good reason for retail CPUs is that AMD OEM CPUs were/are notorious for being re-marked.