Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

redmouse
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

OEM or Retail Cpu for Shuttle?

Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:00 am

Hmm... not sure if this is where it belongs but doing my best.

Anyways, normally I would know what to get in terms or a retail or oem CPU (depending if i was overclocking or not), but i'm not sure what i should get for a shuttle cube.

From what I understand, but i'm not entirely sure, shuttles (i'm talking about the SFF ones) have a special ducting method for the CPU. Does this require the CPU to use the shuttle solution or do you use a HSF of your choice?

In a somewhat related note, anyone own one of these by any chance? how difficult is it to work in such a confined space?
All Your Base Are Belong to Us

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:03 am

shuttles have their own heatpipe type cooler that you have to use

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Re: OEM or Retail Cpu for Shuttle?

Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:39 am

redmouse wrote:
From what I understand, but i'm not entirely sure, shuttles (i'm talking about the SFF ones) have a special ducting method for the CPU. Does this require the CPU to use the shuttle solution or do you use a HSF of your choice?

You can use other hs/fan configurations, but the Shuttle heat pipe solution works so well I would recomend sticking with that. (Just get an OEM proc. and some A.S.)

In a somewhat related note, anyone own one of these by any chance? how difficult is it to work in such a confined space?

There're quite a few people here who own, or have owned, Shuttle brand SFFs as well as other makes and models. You might try posting in the SFF forum, if you don't get a big response here. To aswer your question, I've never found the space limits to be a problem. They set you up for success with removable trays for the drives, etc...... If you can build a system from scratch, you can easily work in a Shuttle (My opinion).
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Steel
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:07 pm

Yeah, this is SFF specific enough to go in the SFF forum. Moved :).

mstrmold
Gerbil XP

Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:17 pm

I'll second the vote for an OEM vs. Retail as you won't use the Retail heatsink in a Shuttle. The ICE Heatpipe works quite well for it's small confinds. Not to mention that when you look at the socket, you will notice Shuttle uses it's own mounting mechanism for attaching the heatpipe to the socket. In order to use the Stock cooler, you would need the retention bracket for your brand of processor in order for it to work.

-E

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:28 pm

Just get a mobile. :wink:

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:35 pm

Note you can spend 5 bucks more and extend the warranty to one year for the oem...if the price is close after that..go retail...otherwise oem..and pick your own heatsink :wink:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:42 pm

Generally I would say go with the OEM for a Shuttle, but occasionaly you might want to go retail, depending on the price difference - for example, the retail Athlon64 3000+ is only a dollar more than the OEM version at newegg; and who would turn down a $1 HSF? :D
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:58 pm

Personally, I go for the retail one, and then get Newegg's extended warranty. However, I never use the stock heatsink. However, it comes in handy down the road if someone sells me a motherboard and CPU without a heatsink [has happened more than once]. Not only do I get 3+1 years as a warranty, but I also get a Pentium 4 sticker!
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.