Topic Author

Laptop w/ AMD processor: wise choice?

Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:43 am

I'm looking at a HP Laptop w/ a AMD processor. The only choices I see are:
HP
Compaq
E-Machines
Avertec (sp?)
I REALLY don't want a Wintel model UNLESS someone can come up with a very valid reason(s) that the mobile AMD's are either problem prone or something along those lines. I don't want to get into a AMD vs Wintel discussion here.

I understand that AMD has had a long history of having a higher current draw and running hotter (goes hand in hand). I can probably live with that since I don't travel and this isn't for any business purposes.

I was just concerned since AMD is the newer player to the mobile market if there was any indication of outstanding problems.

Office Depot has a HP zv5000z series with $300 in rebates for the next couple of days that you configure at the store and they ship it to you (you pay shipping).

Input? Thanks...............

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:48 am

The one at office depot is 599...and its a steal...great machine...buddy has one he paid 850 for .....and he loves it.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:50 am

going for portable or desktop replacement? If you want portable I'd go with a pentium M...otherwise a Athlon 64 laptop would be my choice.

Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:51 am

We got 4 laptops w 2400+ at work & they are really nice. They run colder than P3 800/1000Mhz, are very fast , HDD's are finally up to task etc. I'd say they are best laptops I've seen thus far.

videobruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:53 am

Office Depot has a HP zv5000z series with $300 in rebates
Yep................

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:13 am

went over and looked at it at the hp site....What's the deal with offering a A64 3700 and making Geforce Go 4 440 the best graphics choice?

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:16 am

At least they've come up...it used to be a 420 :o
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

videobruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:18 am

That caught my eye also!
I see the Wintel versions have a ATI chipset and these have the low end 420/440.
I hope this isn't that much a issue!

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:32 am

all depends on whether you want to game or not, the 440 isn't exactly a top graphics solution....if you want amd and would like to play games fairly cheap I'd check out http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M6810

beyoku
Gerbil Elite

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:02 am

yeah , i would go fro you best in prices range.
599 - best buy hp
999 - the cheapest amd 64 Hp
1200 - The emachine - this is the fastest laptop under 1200 bucks.

videobruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:03 am

That e-mqchine is 2x the price!
The HP configured the way I want it is $700!

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:00 pm

well for 700 bucks you don't get a whole lot of choice as to what you want.

druidcent

Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:28 pm

Doesn't Fujitsu offer Lifebook A's with AMD's? That's what mine is.. it's almost 2 years old now.. and still pretty good.. I have a slight heat issue with it, but it's traveled around the world a couple times and still holds up fairly well...

The heat issue has only been a problem the last couple months... I think it started after the last trip back from Colorado.. either that or it was the second to last trip to India I made.. but the HD (IBM Deskstar :P) died at that time too.. so I think it is just severe wear and tear...

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:45 pm

in response to your orriginal question:

which AMD?

athlon 64, yeah go for it
athlon xp, no way

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:03 pm

My mom just got a HP laptop with a Mobile 2600+ in it. Runs cooler than my dad's P3 650 lappy, is dead silent, and has a really nice display. The battery life isn't too shabby either, at three and a half hours. If I were going AMD, I'd personally go for an A64 since it's not a whole lot more and you're getting a nice bang for your buck. Bottom line is that AMD laptops are nothing to scoff at. Unless you need extremely long battery life, they are more than up to the task.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:24 pm

As stated...the xpm's are great in lappies...and the price is rite...kinda whatever trips your trigger eh :wink:

YBK

Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:06 pm

Add a wireless card to an athlon XP, and their goes the battery life.

Personally, i'd choose a Pentium M with integrated wireless. Seriously, what's the point in getting the fastest laptop (not by much either - PM 1.6 ghz with 2mb cache is a beast) if the battery is crap / overheats after a few months. What's wireless with a cable to the power-point? A64 laptops are pretty expensive as well, in my opinion, it would be MUCH better to buy a PM (centrino) for cheaper/the same price - i'd even pay a premium for a mobile processor.

If you want speed get a freaking tower, there's no point to a laptop if you don't want portability. btw, a64s tend to be heavy bricks. I'm not sure about athlon XP, but i'd pick intel anyday, at least for lappys...

But thats just me :P
Shake it to the limit!
PING

videobruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:23 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

which AMD?

athlon xp, no way
What's wrong with the XP-M?

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:43 pm

if you want speed get a freaking tower, there's no point to a laptop if you don't want portability. btw, a64s tend to be heavy bricks.

For me at least...I don't need at portable laptop...well portable but only in the put it in the car and go to a friends house and plug it in to do some gaming sense of portable.

YBK

Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:53 pm

jss21382 wrote:
if you want speed get a freaking tower, there's no point to a laptop if you don't want portability. btw, a64s tend to be heavy bricks.

For me at least...I don't need at portable laptop...well portable but only in the put it in the car and go to a friends house and plug it in to do some gaming sense of portable.

okayz then, let the power be with you ;)
Shake it to the limit!

PING

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:43 pm

so much more convienient that carrying a tower, crt, and everything to go with it

Draal
Gerbil First Class

Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:01 pm

Personally, I own a Asus S2500 that weighs just under three pounds and is perfect for taking to school or wherever.

I can justify the extra price of an ultra light notebook that I'm going to be carrying around all day, but I can't see how you can even think of paying a premium for something you won't/can't even use for the very point of purchasing it, portability.

Hauling around a shuttle cube or similiar mini PC is not only lighter, cheaper, and economical (think your ever going to upgrade the video card in your laptop?), it also makes better sense.

A Shuttle Cube and a seperate LCD monitor are not only cheaper, but more portable than some ten pound "laptop."

While were on the topic, could anyone explain to me why this whole "Premium for Portability that is not only unjustifable but made completely pointless" thought proccess has caught on in the states?

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:14 pm

Hauling around a shuttle cube or similiar mini PC is not only lighter, cheaper, and economical (think your ever going to upgrade the video card in your laptop?), it also makes better sense.

You've got a point, but that's a lot of bulk, regardless of weight. The cube, keyboard, mouse, monitor, headphones, requisite cables, etc makes it a bit more cumbersome that a laptop to simply throw in the car and go. Sure it's still a lot better than a full size desktop and CRT, but you really can't beat a laptop for portability, even if it is a heavier model. Granted, you're burning a lot of money going with a desktop replacement notebook, but if someone has the money to throw at it and doesn't mind the low batter life, then more power to them.

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Draal
Gerbil First Class

Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:42 pm

Ugh..

Its one thing to not mind the low battery life and the extra weight, but its another not to use the thing for the main purpose of buying it.

A heavy laptop for gaming is easier to set up and all that, but just how much easier? Plug and play mostly, but setting up cables and all that with even a not too creative bagging scheme (I for one use an extra large velvet bag to transport my keyboard, mouse, etc) only add an extra what... Five minutes to total set up time on a regular PC?

Laptops are for the most part the PC equivelant of Apple; want to upgrade? Toss it and buy another one.

Its one thing to have the money to burn on something like that, its another not to take advantage of whats available to you, and I don't see these "Desktop Replacement" laptops as much more than a garbage dump waiting in the wings.

With a regular PC, you can swap out parts and all that, create whole new systems, but laptops are very inflexible when it comes to that sort of thing, and someone buying one to play the latest games, will most likely be forced to toss the whole thing in a years time or so when it starts to lag.

I just don't like'em.

Draal
Gerbil First Class

Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:01 pm

Ugh..

That was only part of my point, the other is that there is more than one way to go about this.

A light notebook equipped with VMWare to sync with a main system gets around all these problems and still leaves you with a portable computer. I do CAD work on a moderately (my notebook is as powerful as the run of the mill P4 or Athlon system) powered notebook using this method, plus I get a secure file server to store my music, movies, etc and I am able to play anything from Farcry to Doom 3 on this thing if the whim took me.

Desktop replacement laptops have a lot of problems; they arn't portable in two out of three senses of the word, they are a huge risk to your data (a laptop with dual 270 gig HDs... O K A Y), and they are, to put it simply, a garbage dump just waiting to happen (especially when you can't upgrade these things, and the people buying them are looking for cutting edge performance on the shiniest and newest games out there, so I'd guess this customer base will be upgrading much more frequently than anyone else with more cost to them and to the enviroment). The only real plus I can think of is that you do have a complete system that you can carry around with you, I heard they were quite useful for PAX (Penny Arcade Expo) but correct me if I'm wrong, that isn' that much of a bonus.

Point being, they arn't really a solution to anything, and when I see companies not bringing over thier light weight notebook solutions because we Americans are ultra laptop crazy, I don't see any problems being solved. I mean, what is the motivation for companies to invest in smaller and faster computers when we are willing to lug around these beasts?

Also, they arn't really desktop replacements. Unless your completely insane, or just don't care about your personal data, you still some way of backing up your files (and backing up a 40 or even 20 gig HD onto a DVD-R is a complete waste of time).

Draal

YBK

Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:30 am

I agree with Draal.

Laptops are not meant for speed, unless if you want to buy one every year. Go for a portable laptop that looks good.

I mean, you can even buy a really good lappy that can play all of todays games that's around 2.4 kgs.... ummm check out the lg lm50-4..

it's got a radeon 9600.. i've got the same computer with a 9200 instead, i dont care about graphics performance, although the 9200 is nothing to joke about, especially in a light computer. If i did want cutting edge graphics, then i'd buy a new card for my desktop.

Desktop replacments are only good if ur very rich, dont care about portabality paying 2000 dollars each year for a new lappy.
Shake it to the limit!

PING

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:49 am

videobruce wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

which AMD?

athlon xp, no way
What's wrong with the XP-M?
Well, nothing really. It's just the Pentium M gives you more CPU horsepower and longer battery life. Of course it's harder to compare the two in an apples-to-apples test, but it is possible: Fujitsu makes basically the same laptop available in configurations using either the Pentium M (S6000) or the XP-M (S2000). Same chassis, battery, and screen; just different mainboard guts and processor. And it appears the 1.4GHz P-M beats the 1.5GHz XP-M in both speed and battery life. Note that that's the real AMD clockspeed, not a power rating, and that's the old 1MB cache P-M, not the 2MB Dothan.

So if you're going to go AMD in a laptop you'll be paying less but you'll be getting less. Unless of course you go 64bit, in which case you're getting more now (though probably not in battery life) and the promise of even more later.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:54 am

Alright, I'm going to try and get back to the topic of the thread. Buying an AMD laptop doesn't automatically mean horrible battery life and tons of heat, nor does it automatically mean a desktop replacement. As I stated before, my mom's XPM 2600+ lappy has a 3.5 hour battery life, built in wireless, low heat, low noise, etc. It's hardly a desktop replacement, and it cost quite a bit less than an equivalent Intel laptop. For the price that we paid for it, we would have ended up with a **** Celeron laptop (and less RAM) had we gone Intel. Unless you really need extremely long battery life, I think that most laptops (i.e. the ones with mobile processors) will serve you just fine. 3+ hours of battery life out of a relatively cheap AMD laptop that can still give you kickass performance is a great deal, IMHO. So, a Centrino laptop might be able to give you a longer battery life, but is it worth the premium you are going to pay if you don't travel often?

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:33 am

Oh, I agree. You have to figure out what's important to you, because every laptop is a compromise among (at least) three things: power, mobility, and price. Seting aside niche products like tablets, the market breaks down into four categories:

DTRs: Maximum power, lousy mobility, high price. These tend to be heavy (8lbs+), have 16+ inch screens with hi resolution, and terrible battery life. But you can game on them better than anything else you can stick in a backpack. Just make sure you keep an eye on that backpack, because you've got a lot of money in there. These used to be strictly P4-Ms, but the A64-M is starting to show up.

"Value" or Mainstream: Less power, somewhat better mobility, low price. Low price by laptop measures, anyway. These are your celerons and XP-Ms. They're not as heavy as the DTRs but they still tend to be chunky -- it's easier to keep the price down if you don't have to engineer a lot of hot components into a svelte case. Battery life isn't great but it's usually good enough, and you tend to have more choice in screen size and resolution. The classic student laptop.

Thin and Light: Good power, good mobility, high price. Your Pentium-M niche, for people who are carrying the thing around all day and need the battery to last the whole plane trip. Typically 14" screens, though some are larger, and rarely more than XGA. These tend to be the "executive" machines, so the price is high, but to be fair packing a lot of tech into a sub-6lb package isn't easy, or cheap.

Ultraportable: Underpowered, excellent mobility, relatively high price. These are your sub-4lb machines, usually with just 12" screens and never more than XGA resolution. Usually P-Ms (hence the price) but sometimes Transmeta chips. Lots of compromises -- cramped keyboards, limited ports -- but a great thing to have if you need a little computer that stays out of the way. There are a lot more of these in Japan but the niche hasn't really taken off here.

As someone who schlepped a laptop across the country every other week for a while in 90s, I decided I would never again own one that weighed more than 6lbs. When my last laptop died, I was left in a quandry because I could really use more than XGA resolution but that's very hard to find on a thin-and-light machine. So I'm still on the fence (fortunately I haven't had a major trip force the issue on me yet). If that kind of mobility doesn't matter, and price does, then clearly you're shopping in the value category and you'll find a lot of AMD machines. And that's fine.

YBK

Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:43 am

eckslax wrote:
Alright, I'm going to try and get back to the topic of the thread. Buying an AMD laptop doesn't automatically mean horrible battery life and tons of heat, nor does it automatically mean a desktop replacement. As I stated before, my mom's XPM 2600+ lappy has a 3.5 hour battery life, built in wireless, low heat, low noise, etc. It's hardly a desktop replacement, and it cost quite a bit less than an equivalent Intel laptop. For the price that we paid for it, we would have ended up with a sh*tty Celeron laptop (and less RAM) had we gone Intel. Unless you really need extremely long battery life, I think that most laptops (i.e. the ones with mobile processors) will serve you just fine. 3+ hours of battery life out of a relatively cheap AMD laptop that can still give you kickass performance is a great deal, IMHO. So, a Centrino laptop might be able to give you a longer battery life, but is it worth the premium you are going to pay if you don't travel often?

Well, centrino's are usally in pretty light and thin packages, which is more than you can say for athlons. I'm not bagging out the athlons, it's just that PMs are usually in "sexier" cases..... ummm.. how heavy is that athlon u got? How thin is it? ;) If it's thin and light, than that would be cool.

Centrinos usually have a higher price cause of better reliability and better... cases :S... I havent seen any athlons in good looking thin and light lappys....

lol, i hope i made sense :D
Shake it to the limit!

PING