Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Maedhros
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Your case mods

Sat Sep 14, 2002 7:20 pm

I am in the process of building my main gaming/multimedia rig and I am seriously thinking of taking a Dremel to it. I was wondering if anybody in the forums has done this and if they have any advice, as well as pics.
The ego is only a bit of consciousness swimming upon the ocean of dark things. We are an enigma unto ourselves.

Doc Oc
Gerbil First Class

Sat Sep 14, 2002 7:48 pm

Well, I've dremeled my case, but only functional cuts (the intake fan slot was poorly perforated), nothing to show off with. I found the Dremel cutting disc frustratingly inadequate, but I've worked with angle grinders in a shipyard, so that's hardly surprising. If you're patient, you'll have no problems cutting the hole.

WEAR GOGGLES. I can't stress that enough. Rest your hand on something, the dremel cutting disc shatters on the slightest off-axis motion.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. (Groucho Marx)

subdude2k
Gerbil

Sun Sep 15, 2002 2:55 am

The only cutting to my case I've done (so far) ;) was to cut 2 fan holes on
the side panel. To be honest I just used a drill and a jig-saw to cut them
out :D

When I start my 'big mod' though, I'm going to get me some hole
cutters :wink:

Oh.. and I also have a window kit to install, but that will be cut by the jig-
saw too. :)
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die,
your soul goes up to The Roof and gets stuck.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:32 am

A hole saw works pretty well for blow-holes.
http://www.littlewhitedog.com/forum/top ... IC_ID=9438

Doc Oc wrote:
WEAR GOGGLES. I can't stress that enough.

Rest your hand on something, the dremel cutting disc shatters on the slightest off-axis motion.

Excellent advice. It applies for using any metal-cutting tool. The dremel stone cutting discs are ridiculously fragile. I have purchased a few of the fiber cutting discs for the next project.

etilena
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:33 am

Hope this article helps..

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/02q3/ ... se-09.html

It's for installing a window kit, but the techniques you'd use for other things (i.e fan holes) should be similar.. :D
*yawn*

combo
Gerbil

Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:48 am

I modded mine back in April. I cut a blow hole on the top for my radiator and made a window on the side panel. I used a Dremel and about 3 of the reinforced cutting wheels (Much better than those thin pieces of crap that break if you touch them). It was not too hard and it looked very good. Just take your time and double check your outline before you start cutting.

Also wear protective eyewear! Those metal flakes go everywhere.

Here are some pics, excuse the quality.
Pictures
MSI NF2,Geforce 6800GT, 1GB Ram, WD 120GB HD,SB audigy,Netgear NIC

fink
Gerbil First Class

Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:09 pm

Every case that I own has had some modding done to it, mostly using a dremel to cut out fan openings. But I often make custom brackets to hold HD's or fans in different locations within the case. The dremel is probably the most versatile tool for the overall case-modder. A good hack saw, an assortment of metal files, eye protection, earplugs and a cooler full of your favorite frosty beverage are all nice to have handy too.

Use the Fiber cutting disks to make cuts into the case: a 24" long cut through steel case housings is possible with one disk. Compare that to 5+ of the standard cutting disks for the same distance.

Recently made the switch to hole saws and a drill press to make blowholes. It makes the job much easier, but the cutting oils sure do stink!

Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:30 pm

Hehe, I saw a huge case fan at Radio Shack that I"m very tempted to put in the side of my box, blowing on the proc. It's something like 6" in diameter. Huge.
GO CARDINALS!