Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

Sauron
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2002 8:17 am

Hey everyone,
Well, as I mentioned yesterday, I finally got my CPU. I was all excited to install the thing when I realized my Thermaltake Dragon Orb 3 would not grasp itself correctly to the CPU. I couldn't even get one end of the fan to grasp onto the hooks on one side of the CPU. I had a shim on the processor, but I don't think that was giving me the problem. I think the capacitators on the MB are too close to the cpu and, therefore, and not allowing this massive heatsink to be installed.
Anyways, my first question, does anyone have this HSF installed on their Soyo? Second, what kind of HSF are you running and was it easy to install? This thing has been a pain in the ass so far and I think I need to go and order a new fan. Oh hell. Thanks for the help.

Sauron
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2002 8:18 am

Capacitators=Capacitors
Excuse me while I butcher the spelling.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 08, 2002 9:49 am

I'm running an Alpha PAL-8045 on my Soyo SY-K7V Dragon+. This giant cooler performs well even with a low-rpm (quiet) 80mm fan. However, it is rather tedious to install. Do not use this cooler if you are trying to get the pencil trick working and need to install and boot and uninstall repeatedly.

Sauron
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2002 10:04 am

I'm eyeing the Volcano 7 right now....any thoughts on that one or should I stay clear?

Sauron
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:05 am

Screw it, I went with a Swiftech MCXC370. Let's hope this puppy does the job.