Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

videobruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

HP Pavilion doesn't like 2k for pointer & keyboard

Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:39 pm

HP Pavilion ZV5000V Laptop.

I did a fresh install of 2k replaceing XP Home as shipped and I loose the pointer and use of the keyboard. Very intermittent, about 50% of the time in normal boot and 10% of the time in safe mode! Yes, safe mode sometimes doesn't have the pointer and use of the keyboard.

I tried 2k, 2k w/sp3 and 2k w/sp4 and the same thing. No pattern. I contacted HP, spent a hour talking with someine in Indai (or somewhere) and got the canned answer that HP only supports the notebook the way it was shipped EVEN THOUGH there is a page of drivers on their site specifically for 2k:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... =en&os=181

I'm using M$ Config to isolate the conflict, but no luck so far. How about using Device Mnger to disable unused devices? There are NO other drivers or programs loaded other than what M$ loads w/ the O/S.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:16 pm

Keep in mind that plug & play (that is, hardware detection) and hardware support in 2K was/is a lot more limited than in XP. It is possible that your hardware is incompatible. But the fact that it works at least occasionally certainly leads a person to believe it's possible to get this working.

Try going into the BIOS and disable unused devices (eg COM ports, parallel port, etc). There may also be options to do with the keyboard/mouse, who knows (sometimes there's things for external mice/keyboards and so on). They should then be gone from device manager as well (or you can turn them off if they aren't). There's also may be an option for "plug and play" OS, which is probably on; you could try turning that off (a reinstall may be necessary).

I assume you are using all the 2K drivers hp offers.

videobruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:23 pm

At this stage, there is NOTHING installed but the O/S!
The bios is very limited, I can change the parallel port settings and disable it, but that's it!

It's very finicky. When I think I find something the next reboot it works fine.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:12 pm

try taking it apart and making sure the keyboard connector is good...sounds like a hardware problem...also try putting xp back on and see if it works then
Last edited by Usacomp2k3 on Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

videobruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:37 pm

If I reload the HP version of XP Home w/sp2 all is fine, but I don't want FP!

Now, I have disabled the two instances of a Generic CardBus Controller in Device Manager and the problem shows on every reboot! If one or the other is enabled I'm back to square one.

Since when disabling a supposed non-related device causes a problem?

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:39 pm

videobruce wrote:
If I reload the HP version of XP Home w/sp2 all is fine, but I don't want FP!
FP?

You know you can switch XP over to the "classic" window scheme and it's hard to tell the difference from 2K. XP is actually a better choice if you're trying to run directx and play games.
Since when disabling a supposed non-related device causes a problem?
If the problem is conflicting IRQs, disabling a device may cause them to shuffle around and create a consistent conflict instead of an intermittent one.

videobruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:41 am

FP (Fisher Price)

I'm aware about changing the look, it's more than that. Another thing to add to the rlist is the enhanced security with file sharing which has cause me greef already just trying to create a image!

The keyboard uses IRQ 1
The mouse uses IRQ 12

The only conflicts if you can call them that are:

IRQ 10: USB controller & Modem (no driver)
IRQ 16: NIC, Video, 1394 Controller & CardBus Controller (2 entries)

videobruce
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:29 am

Using Device Manager, I disabled the CradBus Controller (both instances) and it caused the problem to surface all the time! I put in the proper drivers for that and still no difference.

Don't know what the MediaCard Reader has to do with the keyboard and touchpad.