Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

Rousterfar
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Looking for a super cheap laptop. Needs to be sub $700-$800

Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:23 pm

Here is the deal. My roomate wants to buy a new laptop by the end of September. He does not play games and care most about getting it cheap. I know he wants it to be new, and would rather the bulk of the price the the actual sale price (i.e. he does not want to havbe to worry about more then $100 to $200 of the price being mail in rebate crap.).

I can't find anything that cheap online. Anyone have any ideas?

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:28 pm

Check this <a href="http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4079562">Outpost deal</a> out.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:39 pm

I'd like a new sports car for under $9000 but I can't find any online either.

Seriously, you're going to have a hard time finding anything new below $799.

If you're willing to shop refurbished, there are several at J&R including IBMs.

As far as new goes, Fry's has an HP/Compaq they advertise a lot at $799 (EDIT: flybywire beat me to it) which you can also get directly from the company in either HP or Compaq versions, and PCClub has this one.

As long as you understand you're getting a very compromised machine at such a low price point.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:58 pm

I'd just like to add to UberGerbil's suggestion concerning ordering direct from HP. I know that HP offers discounts to students, around 7% or 8%, as long as you register with them on this page.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:01 pm

flybywire wrote:
I'd just like to add to UberGerbil's suggestion concerning ordering direct from HP. I know that HP offers discounts to students, around 7% or 8%, as long as you register with them on this page.

dell does that too...go to the technology part of the school's website, and they might give a premier access link for students to use
Students and Employees can save 5, 10 and up to 17% through the Dell Online Store for the University of Florida. The store also honors promotions seen on television and in ads.

example of my school here

http://www.dell.techhub.ufl.edu/flash/index.html

Rousterfar
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:07 pm

Thanks guys. I honestly don't think I will find much at that price, but I promised him I would ask around.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:20 pm

Go to xpbargains.com and shop around...if you would have asked that same question a week ago..you could have gotten a 2800xpm HP lappie for 599...delivered...just keep checking the site from day to day...they pop up all the time :wink:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:26 pm

Whatever you do, and this will increase the price of your computer, make sure to get the 3-year warranty. They usually run around US$180 for most of the major manufacturers, but I've had friends get majorly burned for more than $180 when their laptop broke after a year and a half and they had to pay full price to get it repaired. It's the least fun thing to spend money on when you're talking computers, but it's one of the most important.
GO CARDINALS!