Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Pauly
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2002 6:43 pm

Hi,

We've got a computer that lives in one of the drawers in the spare room (seriously :smile: ) it acts as a router for our home network, it's on for most of the day.

As it doesn't have a monitor, keyboard or mouse the only way to shut it down safely is to use a virtualPC/PCAnywhere type package to take control of it and close it down with one of the other machines.

We have some very PC-unsavvy uses in the house so it'd be nice for them just to able to touch a button and it'd safely shut down.

Is there an easy way to do this? I'm not afraid of getting out the soldering iron and Borland C++ :wink:

I figure the best way would be to wire a switch to the joy port and write a program that monitors it and triggers the WinAPI shut down functions when the switch gets closed.

Barking up the wrong tree, or right idea?

paul.

Spune
Gerbil XP

Sat Feb 09, 2002 7:57 pm

If you are running windows could you just set the machine so that it shuts down when you hit the power button? You would have to attach a power button to the power switch connector on your motherboard. I assume that any button would work but the connectors might be a little tough to get a hold of unless you have an old case lying around.

Pauly
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2002 9:09 pm

Yeah I figured that too but the mobo's too old. I doesn't do ACPI properly :sad:

Spune
Gerbil XP

Sat Feb 09, 2002 9:41 pm

Dope! and here I thought I had your answer, and it was so simple. Sorry, I'm sure someone else will be able to help you.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 10, 2002 1:19 am

If it doesn't do ACPI correctly, then really, there is no way to shut the mobo off via software.

Pauly
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2002 2:36 pm

I'm the dope! I should have realised that without ACPI its not gonna shutdown itself in ANY way.

Ho hum. I guess I could swap some mobos around.... Ugh...
<Paul leaves the room grumbling to himself>

q_bot_w11
Gerbil

Sun Mar 10, 2002 10:03 am

Hi,

Sorry to ask but what is ACPI? Is it to do with AT cases needing the on switch physically turning off to turn off?

Dave.

K-Wulf
Gerbil First Class

Sun Mar 10, 2002 4:40 pm

ACPI= Advanced Configuration and Power Interface.