Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2001 4:29 pm

Eh? Anyone out there slackware users? I myself have been using slack off and on since about '96 when I got Xfree up and running on my Dx4/100... Wow, that was a treat. :wink:

Oh, anyone have any ideas on how to get a Audigy to work under *nix w/out using the fee based drivers? OSS I think they are, Alsa doesn't have any support for the Audigy, and I really doubt CL is ever gonna support em.

kleenux
Gerbil In Training

Fri Dec 28, 2001 5:46 pm

I use slack! I decided Redhat was too "windows" so I tried LFS. That was a great learning experience and all but I got sick of downloading every single **** library myself so now I use slack. And I think if you go to <a href="http://opensource.creative.com">opensource.creative.com</a>
and download the code from cvs it has some preliminary audigy support.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2001 6:01 pm

Cool, thanks for the tip, I'll try them out in a few minutes. I didn't know CL had some audigy support in their Live! drivers.

Steel
Global Moderator

Fri Dec 28, 2001 7:55 pm

Slackware was my first Linux distro and it's still my favorite. I've tried RedHat, Mandrake and others, but I just can't bring myself to like them. I know where everything is in Slackware, I got tired of hunting down the odd configuration files in the others. And don't get me started on RPM.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2001 8:31 pm

Yea, I hear you there steel, I myself have tried Suse, RedHate, and Mandrake to name a few, but I keep coming back to slack. Mainly because it always works, and works correctly. Just can't beat a good setup.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Dec 28, 2001 10:17 pm

Seeing as an Audigy is a Live! with a pretty new box (Call it Live 5.1 rev2), it makes a lot of sense that CL will use the same drivers.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2001 10:29 pm

Actually, from what I've been reading in the devolpers forum, the Audigy is a new chip, that uses different registers, with some other, ( I forgot which ) registers. The developers at CL haven't gotten 'true' Audigy support in, but a few of the people have been able to ascertain exactly what registers have changed, and have some 'basic' support in for a Audigy.

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2001 11:24 pm

Gawd, I'm starting to get a tad po'ed here. :sad:

I can make the driver, I can modprobe the ac97_codec but for the life of me I can't get emu10k1 to modprobe. :sad: I keep getting huge unresolved symbols in most of the sound related devices.

I did however have OSS support in my kernel, recompiling seeing if that perhaps was the problem.... Other than that, Dunno. :sad:

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Dec 29, 2001 1:02 am

I've got a 5.1 and a classic in two Windows machines... I'll trade ya. :razz: