Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Nelliesboo
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:40 pm

i read the new radeon will have a 350mhz core speed and 700mhz memory (geforce 4 4600, 300 core 650 memory)if thos boys at ati can get there act stright with there drivers i just might be jumping ship.... here is the full details

http://www.theinquirer.net/14020204.htm
"StarCraft 2 will release when it's ready." - Blizzard

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Feb 14, 2002 3:20 pm

Yeah. Looks nice. The only thing I dont like about ATI is the lack of offical Linux support. At least NVIDIA has some driver updates for that.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 14, 2002 5:48 pm

Linux? What's that? Oh, that's right-it's that open source hack of a OS that supports like 5-no wait, 6 useful software applications and games.

Linux either needs to A) Get real, or B) Go away. Other than being "different" and "screwing the man", what are the advantages of Linux, besides it being free (because, hey, who's gonna pay for it?)

Don't even say stability. Over Win9X, yes. Win2000 and XP are just as stable. You can't tell me it's because of the massive software support. You can't tell me it's because of the huge speed increase over Windows. So WTF is Linux good for? I always thought it funny that some PC people who use Linux make fun of Macs and MacOS. Two fringe OS's with crappy software support laughing at each other. *Phew*, that's rich...

Nelliesboo
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2002 1:07 am

mac os X has "enough" software support to make it useable (but i wouldnt make one my main computer) but i "kinda" agree with u on Linux...

K-Wulf
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 15, 2002 6:33 pm

Because I like my kernel hacks. :wink:

K-Wulf
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 15, 2002 6:38 pm

Oh and about that R250 (or 8800):

People are telling stories about great speed increases not only due to higher specs and improved architecture but also due to some new detonator-like drivers.
Well I'll to see that with my own eyes before i fall for that one. Interesting nonetheless.

For me personally the new 128MB LE radeons are the most interesting. It is reported to also fix some bugs in the hardware....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: K-Wulf on 2002-02-15 17:39 ]</font>

Steel
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 15, 2002 7:22 pm

No one is twisting your arm to use Linux, no need to get so worked up about it. (Hey, there's an advantage right there... :wink: )

lllama
Gerbil

Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:52 pm

Linux does what I need it to do (decode, encode movies, mix audio, data visualization, run calculations, some rough data acquisition, browse tech-report). Behold! Seven working apps!

Look chief- not everyone needs to run office, make cad drawings and play games on their peecee (although I would give autodesk a kidney to port Autocad). For me, linux is fine. For you, it isn't. Stop crying about it. :razz:

Nelliesboo
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sun Feb 17, 2002 9:01 pm

hehe
"StarCraft 2 will release when it's ready." - Blizzard

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:20 am

OK OK, I got it, you like Linux. You and like 5 other people :grin:

You still haven't answered my question, though. What are the advantages to Linux other than it being free and you being able to "stick it" to Mr. Gates? I would be willing to run it if it were beneficial to do so.

yujen
Gerbil In Training

Thu Feb 21, 2002 9:04 pm

look bud

there are places windows doesn't even have what it takes to do the job.

it may be good for a desktop at home type of machine, but as for what i do, windows just suck at it

its timer resolution is very bad, its a resource hog, and its extremely inflexible. its only purpose is the home desktop (gaming) market.

linux leaves it far behind in server applications.

yujen

yujen
Gerbil In Training

Thu Feb 21, 2002 9:06 pm

look bud

there are places windows doesn't even have what it takes to do the job.

it may be good for a desktop at home type of machine, but as for what i do, windows just suck at it

its timer resolution is very bad, its a resource hog, and its extremely inflexible. its only purpose is the home desktop (gaming) market.

linux leaves it far behind in server applications.

yujen