Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:01 pm

dolemitecomputers wrote:
... If anyone is playing on the burning blade eastern server let me know.

I doubt it, but does anyone know if you can move a character to another server after you've created it? I really dislike the whole "you can only play with people on your specific server" model they're using. Many MMORPGs are like this, and it divides people up so bad.

Good thing about GW, everyone is on the same "server", as in they're all part of the same network. People on the East and West coast aren't separated by server. Heck people in France or Korea or anywhere... all the same. ArenaNet even has new technology that allows on-the-fly translation so if someone on your team is in say, Korea, and they are typing in their native language, the game translates it to English so everyone world-wide can communicate. It sounds almost ridiculous, but if they pull it off, it's gonna be crazy.

WoW-wise again (sorry for the hijacks), now that it's been out for a bit, has anyone other than dolemite noticed a marked improvement on the network/server end of things?

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:18 pm

emkubed wrote:
dolemitecomputers wrote:
... If anyone is playing on the burning blade eastern server let me know.

I doubt it, but does anyone know if you can move a character to another server after you've created it? I really dislike the whole "you can only play with people on your specific server" model they're using. Many MMORPGs are like this, and it divides people up so bad.

Good thing about GW, everyone is on the same "server", as in they're all part of the same network. People on the East and West coast aren't separated by server. Heck people in France or Korea or anywhere... all the same. ArenaNet even has new technology that allows on-the-fly translation so if someone on your team is in say, Korea, and they are typing in their native language, the game translates it to English so everyone world-wide can communicate. It sounds almost ridiculous, but if they pull it off, it's gonna be crazy.

WoW-wise again (sorry for the hijacks), now that it's been out for a bit, has anyone other than dolemite noticed a marked improvement on the network/server end of things?

You can't move your character but you can have up to 8 per server or realm. I think this is because of issues it might cause with overpopulation and other things like guilds or items you have in a bank. Maybe they will change it in the future.

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:51 pm

My brother is a hardcore MMORPG player. He has a very long list of online games he has played. On one recent game alone he has well over 200 _days_ accumulated in hours played.

I think he has pretty much played all of them except for SWG (which I played). It is of course quite sad he has spent entire years dedicated to these games but he does have some experience. So far he loves WoW. He gave up FFX1 (which deletes your account if you don’t pay for 3 months and he is the #1 rated character on his entire server) so that is saying quite a lot.

He might hate it in 3 months, he may stick with it but his initial impressions make me want to play it and I gave up MMORPG's cold turkey.

While I was over there I watched him play it and I can say the graphics are the only apparent downside. FFX1 looked friggin amazing compared to this IMO.

*I just asked him about the servers. He says he hasn’t ran into any lag issues (on dial up) but the servers do go down daily for maintenance but you can just log back in. He says he actually hasn’t experienced it so I guess they do it after he goes to bed or before he gets up (west coast time).
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:04 pm

If it weren't for the subscription fee I'd be playing WoW right now =[

normally when I play games I play them for a long time... WoW would cost more than my insurance policy to play it for a year (cost of game + subscription for a year) =[

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:07 am

So I have been playing WoW for well over a week now and I would venture close to 42 total hours. While I started 2 new toons my main one, Lenwe, is now a Lvl 18 Hunter Night Elf.

While there were some server problems for the first weekend, Blizzard did an outstanding job at rectifying the issue. There are some intermittant lag issues here and there its nothing that is a show stopper.

The game at hand is the first fully polished MMORPG to date. There are few quests that are broken and there is always forward movement with your character. (advancement of a toon is the MMORPG downfall most tend to quit if bored) There are literally thousands of quest to do and each chracter type has different ones that go with their class.

The game world is awsome tranistions between lands is gradual and perfect.

As for paying for the subscription....$14.99 a month, I can bet you spend triple that for a game that you dont really like in any given month. Also how do you think those servers are paid for and maintained. I am a IT professional and servers and NAS are expensive! You could spend a million dollars in one day for a small data center. So I scoff at those who say "I payed for the game why should I pay a monthly fee?"

WoW is very polished and is a good MMORPG. Try it you might like it.

Come find me also: Lenwe, Night Elf Hunter; Lothar Server.

P.S: emkubed....I know you are a GW fanboy but please refrain from posting about it in the WoW thread... :-?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:50 am

tanker27 wrote:
As for paying for the subscription....$14.99 a month, I can bet you spend triple that for a game that you dont really like in any given month. Also how do you think those servers are paid for and maintained. I am a IT professional and servers and NAS are expensive! You could spend a million dollars in one day for a small data center. So I scoff at those who say "I payed for the game why should I pay a monthly fee?"

They don't seem to need fees with Guild Wars or battle.net. Perhaps it's because the guys who built battle.net are the same guys that built ArenaNet, and they know what they're doing. I would pay more for an initial release if it meant I didn't have to pay monthly. Plus, in the time I've played Guild Wars, the servers were more stable than WoW. Maybe blizzard needs some better IT guys.

Anyway, I played the open beta for a while. It's pretty fun when the servers are running steady. They just doubled their servers, so maybe they got it fixed. I like the abilities system, like smithing and engineering. It seems like I spent most of my time trying to improve my engineering abilities so I could build better items.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:53 am

tanker27 wrote:
P.S: emkubed....I know you are a GW fanboy but please refrain from posting about it in the WoW thread... :-?

You got it.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:53 am

I've been playing for just over a week.

First the server issue I think was the unexpected load the systems got from the start. This possibly could be contributed to the fact that they didn't account for the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, and everyone being home and playing. Possible big spike in users that just wasn't expected.

I myself have not encountered any lag or server downtime even over the holiday. Play has been smooth and flawless. It might also just have been certain servers covering certain areas, who knows. However Blizzard seemed to have been ready and resolved this quickly, so they must be applauded for that.

Second I don't mind paying to play. The bandwidth cost might be huge (it ain't free you know), also they seem to have servers placed in geographical areas. This may also be true physically. Or Blizzard is placing the servers in a large hosting facility to keep them right on top of that larger backbone to reduce and bottlenecks. If they are renting that space it is costing them money there too. However this is my first MMORG that intersted me enough to take the plunge.

Third, I've touched a few MMORGS before, but never sat down and bought one and paid. I just think EQ, UO, and a few others were not that good (yet, they were just a little raw, at first). So my take on WOW. Fantastic! It is polished, well thought out, and a blast to play. Yes, the graphics might not be the bomb, but they are clean and good. I imagine a lot of systems could push it without a major upgrade. I max out my settings and everything looks great. Best graphics doesn't always mean the best game play. Doom3 anyone? I'm placing WOW over Lands of Lore I as my favorite RPG. It is just that well done. And I am starting to gather an underlying story that is painting a bigger picture. Which I like a lot. I'm not just out here mindlessly leveling up.

Again, Blizzard might not be pushing the technology envelope, but they again have made a fun, polished game along the lines of Warcraft II, III, Starcraft and Diablo.

FOR KHAZ MODAN!!!!
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

David

Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:59 pm

I really like WoW's graphics. It has style. FFXI graphics were also great, but I don't like EQ2 graphics at all. They tried to make the characters look real, and they came out looking like Play-doh. EQ2's environment is pretty ncie though.

The server issues were pretty annoying, but they resolved them fairly quickly. Over 200,000 accounts were created on the very first day, so the issues are understandable.

I've done one large scale PvP event, and the lag was abhorrent when our 2 huge armies clashed. Instant spells effectively had a 20second cast timer. Smaller skirmishes- 5v5 or 10v10- are very, very fun. The classes are pretty much balanced, so victory is determined mostly by skill and organization.

I'm "Pontifex" on Bleeding Hollow.

VICTORY TO THE HORDE!
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

dolemitecomputers

Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:26 pm

It looks like they have been cracking down on cheating and exploits pretty quick. I've never really seen anyone or heard of anyone using a speed hack but I've seen video of it. Some players were exploiting the macros to create a bot to build up a lot of xp or currency. They banned those players right away with no warning so that should keep things running smooth.

Player Hater
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:06 pm

After the huge amount of good publicity this game recieved I decided to take the MMORPG plunge. First time I will ever be paying for a game after I bought it and I have to say I don't mind. The game seems very fun and I am only at level ten. I am an undead priest, herbalist, and alchemist. It seems like I am only scratching the surface of the gameplay as well. I have yet to go questing with more than one other person, and it seems like a party of about four would be a blast to play in.

I always kinda snubbed the MMORPG people because I thought they were timesinks, not games. All I know is that WoW is deserving of all the praise it has been getting .

dolemitecomputers

Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:16 pm

Player Hater wrote:
After the huge amount of good publicity this game recieved I decided to take the MMORPG plunge. First time I will ever be paying for a game after I bought it and I have to say I don't mind. The game seems very fun and I am only at level ten. I am an undead priest, herbalist, and alchemist. It seems like I am only scratching the surface of the gameplay as well. I have yet to go questing with more than one other person, and it seems like a party of about four would be a blast to play in.

I always kinda snubbed the MMORPG people because I thought they were timesinks, not games. All I know is that WoW is deserving of all the praise it has been getting .

Just wait until you start the elite quests. Shadowfang keep will take over and hour to finish with a group of other players but is a lot of fun.

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 pm

i was originally iffy about getting the game becasue $50 is a lot in case i don't loike it(had never played MMORPG before)

am obsessed lvl 15 mage put more hrs into it then my HW(im lzy sob)
suprised i took the time to post considering i really need to get back to playing
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS

David

Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:02 pm

The instances(elite quests) are great. Except Wailing Cavers. That place is way too big for the rewards you get.

SFK is one of the best I've done, and I really like Scarlet Monastery too.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:10 pm

200 _days_ accumulated in hours

hmn...EQ? I can't think of any of the other games that have lasted that long, I've got like 230 days played myself

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:39 pm

No not EQ, I don't even want to know much he has in EQ. FFX1 has been out for 1 year now and he plays everyday, for 14+ hours. While some of that is him getting up to get something to drink or relieve himself that is what the game says.

I think he played doac the longest. I can't even fathom the time spent (or wasted IMO).

I should sign him up for a MMORPG PA meeting.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:41 pm

14 hours a day get's you to celebrity status in the game world....it's a pretty cool feeling, provided you have the time, not to mention it's about the cheapest entertainment you can find.....though also I knwo a lot of people with insane played time that just leave themselves logged in 24/7

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:50 pm

He has never left himself logged in. Parents make him shut it down due to power. Plus I am not sure why he would do that anyways.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:07 pm

To get higher played time....When you're still leveling you try and log out whenever you're not playing....ya know higher played time at lower levels makes you look newbish...once you're at the top you try to get more played time....makes you seem older and more expereienced and such....doesn't make a lot of sense but ya know

Player Hater
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:42 pm

dolemitecomputers wrote:

Just wait until you start the elite quests. Shadowfang keep will take over and hour to finish with a group of other players but is a lot of fun.

When do you you start getting elite quests? :D

David

Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:26 pm

Ragefire Chasm is the first, and it's about level 15.

Giglamesh
Gerbil

Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:12 pm

Okay, WoW is a freaking addictive. First of all loading time is great even when your hard drive is a 4500rpm pos! :lol: The game is loaded with nonstop quests in comparison to other mmorpgs where quests are few and the rewards suck in general. The only downside that I have noticed is that warrior is overkill nerfed. Graphics aren't that amazing, but hey Blizz makes games which are compatible on most systems - that's where the moneys at. Although the graphics aren't "high end" they are very pleasing to the eye. Very nice, running with all options ON, all graphic options at MAX at 25.5 fps on a crappy Radeon 9kPRO with a64 3k+.

If anyone wants to play with me I'm currently a level 25 Tauren Warrior on Destromath.

If you haven't got this game yet and are looking for something to do, what are you waiting for? Get it, NOW! Just be warned, you'll put off everything else in life... Probably. This game is dangerously addictive.
AMD64 NewCastle 3000+ 2.0GHz, Samsung DDR3200 512MB, Radeon 9000 PRO 128MB, Maxtor DiamondMax 200G/16MB... Slowly building my system.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:47 pm

Well, a friend of mine who is a DAoC fiend is now addicted to WoW. Looks like I'm in once I get some money scrapped together. :D

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:29 am

Yes all, come join WoW!

Join the Lothar server and we will meet up and maybe start a TR guild!!!!!!

BTW, Lenwe, Night elf, Hunter ~lvl 25
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

David

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:37 pm

Lothar?! If you wanna have fun you have to be on a PvP server! :P

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:43 pm

zerohex wrote:
Lothar?! If you wanna have fun you have to be on a PvP server! :P

I like to PvP but if I am in a dungeon trying to finish a quest or nab some uber loot I don't want to get my @$$ raped by some Undead Mage or Tarun Shamen.

Hence the reason I am on a PvE Server. However, on Lothar there are tons of Raids going on daily so sometimes I take part in.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

blitzy
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:43 pm

damn, I'm having such a hard time resisting the temptation to buy this game :S

maybe the sting of forking out for a new computer will make the urge disappear (gave my rig to my parents since theirs was so old)

RoninGyrbill
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:23 pm

Man...The game just arrived at my place today and now the servers are down. I am bad luck itself. WoW has been fine for weeks until today.

BTW, TR crew, I will be playing magtheridon server (PvP) with the name Mithridates. Ultra n00b. Hope to see y'all some time.

David

Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:28 pm

I guess I should have mentioned that Ragefire is a Horde instance.

dolemitecomputers

Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:33 pm

In case you missed it they have a preview of the one of the battlegrounds coming out soon.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/pvp/battlegrounds.html