Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

Damage
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

The Developer's Den opens!

Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:50 am

You guys asked for a programming forum, and now you've got it. Who want to moderate this beast?

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:14 pm

woohoo! now who wants to help me with some RPG? :)
Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

ANApex
Gerbil XP

Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:59 pm

RolePlaying Game or Rocket Propelled Grenade? I could try to help with either ;)

Steel
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:04 pm

There was a RPG class on an old HP 3000 when I was taking programming classes but it was the only class I didn't take... ;)

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:54 pm

ANApex: heh, not quite...Report Programming Language, specifically AS/400 RPGIII was the one I was speaking of.
Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:37 pm

I've been working on a Euchre game for about a year now. Well hardly working on, it's about half done. Euchre has way too many rules. I realized if I was working on a Solitaire program I would have finsihed a long time ago.

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:08 pm

Next thing you know, someone's going to be asking for help with COBOL on here, Coldfirex. ;)

Seriously folks, anyone out there playing with Kylix? I'm finally starting to move to Linux for more things and would love to hear about this. VB was fun, but M$ is ruining it.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

ANApex
Gerbil XP

Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:51 am

Hey I could actually help if it was COBOL.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:04 am

Not I, I'm not one for moderating...

BTW does anyone else do embedded stuff? My job is developing on small Motorola uCs and the DragonBall EZ in C and assembly. PC utilities are in VB, but yes, M$ is ruining it (VB.NET, WTF is that?). I'm thinking of moving over to Borland's Delphi since VC++ is too cumbersome for quick utilities.

-LS

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:34 pm

What's involved in moderating? I'm curious since I am enjoying this since my work has lately swung into more of a network/hardware mode and I miss programming all day :). This would be a great way to keep up.

Liquidsquid, I've worked with a bit of embedded coding in the past. Mostly interfacing PCs and such with industrial systems, Allen-Bradley modules. And I've actually used BASIC there with interface modules to bar-code printers and such. I don't know though, playing around with my VIA Eden boards is putting a whole new spin on embedded work. Those things are Swiss Army knives of computers. They can do almost anything.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

Veritas
Gerbil First Class

Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:52 pm

I would like to do embedded stuff for a living...but I can't seem to find any entry level jobs doing it right now.

Most of my embedded experience comes from school using m68K processors and TI DSP's.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:54 am

Embedded work is extremely competitive right now. I have gobs of experience designing digital hardware and writing the software and I didn't even get a face-to-face interview for a recent opening that I even had an in for. In the past I have turned down many offers for various reasons and have never not been interviewed for a job I applied for. Things are very different right now, and I really feel for you new graduates. There are jobs out there, just you have to compete with guys who have been doing it for years.

The best thing you can do it make a portfolio of the projects you may have worked on, and code snippets that any moron can understand that you are proud of. Take that with you to any interviews, and if the situation presents itself, BRAG. You are trying to sell your talents to a company who is trying to make money off of you and give you a small percentage. You have to be worth every penny to get the job. Apprenticing (working for peanuts) may get your foot in the door. Beg for a job, even if it is low pay to start, do whatever it takes.

How are your skills at scooping ice cream or lard? Just kidding.

-LS

Veritas
Gerbil First Class

Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:25 pm

The best thing you can do it make a portfolio of the projects you may have worked on, and code snippets that any moron can understand that you are proud of. Take that with you to any interviews

Yeah. that's the problem...I can't get an interview. Heck, I even interned for a small engineering company here in town doing embedded software and hardware design. They won't even give me an interview. But they asked me back 3 summers in a row while I was in college and the economy was hot.

Anyhow, I do have an interview at 2 PM today for a job writing windows applications for ligation support. Hopefully I can get that and wait out this job market till I can get back into embedded stuff.

How are your skills at scooping ice cream or lard? Just kidding.

If I don't get this job I will have to do that... :( Must pay student loans starting next month.

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 06, 2003 3:05 pm

As a quick thought to anyone going to be doing any sort of degree/certificate/etc. to do with anything...

Try and get a sandwich course...

The "sandwich" part is a year in industry, which for all intents and purposes, is a work experience year :lol: Not only do you get some experience and maybe a better probability for interviews, but I hear some get offered a job at the place they are working at, conditional or even unconditional...

One way to get a foot in the door I reckon,
IntelMole
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem