Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

technophile
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:46 am

I "upgraded" to windows XP a couple months ago, and while most of my programs still worked, some things have been botched up and irritating to fix. In particular:

I can't run Serious Sam! I just installed it and every time I try to run it for the first time (every time I try it says "This is the first time") the screen goes blank a few times, my resolution changes back and forth, and eventually I get this error message:

"Serious Sam was unable to find display mode driver with OpenGL acceleration. Make sure you install proper drivers for your video card as reccommended in documentation and set your desktop to 16 bit (65536 colors). Please see Readme...."

I have an S3 Savage 4. (Yeah I know it's weak, but I'm stingy and I'm not much of a gamer, and it was good when I got it years ago...) The S3 site said WinXP should have installed the proper OpenGL drivers. I don't know much about OpenGL / graphics in general, so I'm stuck right now. Help?

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 20, 2002 11:27 am

Run GLsetup off of the Serious Sam CD. It should work.

Even so, you may less than impressed with the performance your Savage4 will give you with SE. It is a fairly demanding graphics engine. I get slowdowns on my GF3...

J5
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 20, 2002 10:38 pm

My God!!! Not to totally bash on you but christ!!! A geforce2mx is at cheapest I bet at the least 40 dollars. Just spring for the minor upgrade cause even if your not a "serious" gamer do yourself a favor and upgrade. That way you know you can run almost any game...even at lower settings.

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:27 pm

A similar note about serious sam and old hardware -

I ran it over christmas break on my mom's pc (used to be mine) with a celery 450a and a G200.

you can stop laughing now.

There were times when it was playable, but if I went into an open area it would go into slideshow mode, in a big way. Needless to say, me and my brother didn't deathmatch in serious sam anymore...

EnDlEsS
Gerbil

Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:18 pm

The original driver of all the video card in WinXP doesn't include an OpenGL ICD. Go to VIA's web site and Download the latest driver~~!