Text Program

From Visual Basic to GNU C, this is the place to talk programming.

Moderators: SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

Text Program

Postposted on Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:07 pm

Wasn't sure where to post this.. but I was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction. Does anyone know of a program to convert an actual signature into a text format for use on a website or for machining (putting the signature on a product using CNC) ? I would appreciate any help in this area
Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:44 pm

I am not exactly sure what you are asking for...I don't understand why you would want to convert you signature into a text format. When you say text format all I can think of is an ASCII art version of your signature (i.e. where an image is converted to a bunch of ASCII characters like this: http://www.confound.com/pictures/archiv ... nguin.html).

IF you can, please clarify what you mean. Thanks and good luck!
Veritas
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:42 am

I think a possible way is to talk to the person that would be doing the machining. They may require a certain file format so that the machine can read the lines of your signature. From what I remember, you should be able to write your signature in Photoshop and bring it into Illustrator and save it as an .ai file, which should contain curve and length information of the actual lines of your signature. But talk to some engraving companies, they will be able to help you better.
Aruna
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:11 am

There are softwares out there to convert from raster (usual graphic format such as BMP, GIF, JPG) to vector (usual CAD format such as DXF). You can go from a high-quality scan to DXF, which most machinists can use with their CAD/CAM software.
Idealist at work.
God in Training
Gerbil XP

Return to Developer's Den