Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

grams
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:05 pm

I recently purchased the new Radeon All-in-Wonder card and installed it on my computer with no noticeable problems except for a few extra crashes with windows XP. All the multimedia conections, Tv output and cable TV worked fine. Until I recently turned my computer on I left it to turn on by itself and I came back to find a black monitor and the smell of burning plastic I immediatley turned the power off and began inspecting the computer. After I reset the bios of my Abit motherboard the computer gave audible beeps as to what was wrong. Indicating the video card I removed it and replaced it with my old GeForce2 Mx200 and it fired right up everything worked fine. This really upset me having just paid 300 for the new card. So I decided to put it back in adn try one more time but to no avail, so I'm assuming board or processor is burned out. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the problem or anyone might have an idea what happened.

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Feb 07, 2002 1:43 am

I have one coming in the mail, so i'll let you know if i have any problems. You may want to double check your power supply. The AIW line is notorious for needing a good power supply

EnDlEsS
Gerbil

Fri Feb 22, 2002 1:07 am

Seem to me..
It is overheating...

What is your system spec.??

Also send an e-mail to ATI and bitch them about that...

brainychimp
Gerbil In Training

Fri Feb 22, 2002 3:01 am

yep, sounds like your card is toast. rma that sucker.

you may want to check on the rage3d.com forum to see if anyone else has had the same problem, and if it'll happen again.

Ne0
Gerbil

Sat Feb 23, 2002 9:01 am

I haven't toasted mine yet, but I get crappy Benchmarks...can't even hit 2000 in 3dmark. Think it might be my Bios settings? I have most of my AGP settings disabled..still playing with them..what should they be set at? I have the latest ATI drivers for the card. I know the DV won't get the performance of the non DV but it should do better than this.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ne0 on 2002-02-23 08:01 ]</font>

EnDlEsS
Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2002 6:13 pm

Ne0..

If you recently upgrad to the Radeon 8500 DV, plz clean install everything..

There may be some old driver files in your HDD and those suckers will cost your fps a lot~~!

0oALio0

Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:05 pm

Do u have to format even if you didnt have an ATI card before?

murray
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:16 am

This may not carry over to the 8500 line, but I had major fill rate problems with my Radeon DDR 64mb VIVO. I'd get only 1/4 of the fill rate i ought to have been, and framerates reflected it. The problem persisted through several driver installs, and didn't go away until recently when I reformated my system to a hardcore system crash and burn. Your issue might be something else, but compare your fill rate to what other people have gotten with the same card.