Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Inkedsphynx
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:58 pm

*sigh* damn login problems are why the servers are down for maintenance. They have been up and down all day since about 3PST, and I have yet to catch my realm online yet...*mutter*

Anyway, I am Meathos on Silvermoon. Lvl 8 Night Elf Warrior.

Hope to see some TR peeps cruisin, though I typically play as much solo as I can.

Vatic
Gerbil First Class

Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:25 pm

anyone playin on the Aggramar server???

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:10 pm

Nope I am on Eonar.

God I love this game....

..must skin creatures...need more leather....

Got me a Night Elf Hunter at level 27 right now.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

RoninGyrbill
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:31 pm

hmm, a night elf hunter just killed me in 2 hits yesterday.. I'm on pvp but I was in my territory and I didn't attack. I think it was a glitch with my pet; the night elf was like 15 lvls higher than me. Ugly... :oops:

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:58 pm

So, how are the Blizzard servers? I've heard bad things...

*cough* TRY GUILD WARS! *cough*....Excuse me. :lol:
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:08 pm

As much as I'm all about the Guild Wars, thread crappin in the WoW topic is a no no.

However, today's Penny-Arcade is interesting.

Every week, there is some new calamity that necessitates some huge response on their part, servers are coming down, but if you think that the servers coming back up again will represent an improvement in the basic functionality of the game you're mistaken. They took them down most of the day Thursday (and again for "emergency service" on Sunday), and when they came back up it should have been something supernatural but it was actually utterly imperceptible. It should have been like when the Genesis device hit and a lifeless rock became a f***ing paradise. That didn't happen. So, if I say, as I'm about to, that their emergency service amounts to parlor tricks, what evidence can they give to the contrary? Because near as I can tell they've been doing "emergency service" since release, only they used to credit people's accounts for it.

How about you guys who play it every day, is it still this bad for you? I seriously hope not, I had high hopes. Though I'm not down for payin' the monthly, any genre-advancing success is good for the industry, it means bigger and better MMORPGs/CORPGs down the road.

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:14 pm

emkubed wrote:
As much as I'm all about the Guild Wars, thread crappin in the WoW topic is a no no.

However, today's Penny-Arcade is interesting.

Every week, there is some new calamity that necessitates some huge response on their part, servers are coming down, but if you think that the servers coming back up again will represent an improvement in the basic functionality of the game you're mistaken. They took them down most of the day Thursday (and again for "emergency service" on Sunday), and when they came back up it should have been something supernatural but it was actually utterly imperceptible. It should have been like when the Genesis device hit and a lifeless rock became a f***ing paradise. That didn't happen. So, if I say, as I'm about to, that their emergency service amounts to parlor tricks, what evidence can they give to the contrary? Because near as I can tell they've been doing "emergency service" since release, only they used to credit people's accounts for it.

How about you guys who play it every day, is it still this bad for you? I seriously hope not, I had high hopes. Though I'm not down for payin' the monthly, any genre-advancing success is good for the industry, it means bigger and better MMORPGs/CORPGs down the road.

There are some realms still having problems so I'm not sure what is going on. The one I play on has been stable since the game came out. At least they respond to problems pretty quick but I dont think they were prepared for the large amount of players.

David

Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:18 pm

That's pretty accurate. Nothing is ever improved when they have to take down the servers.

And like he said, the mail system only works when it's good and ready to.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:32 pm

Yea, sorry bout that. I'm not trying to crap on WoW, because what I played during the beta was very enjoyable. But even near the end of the beta, server stability was becoming a problem for me. There was alot of down time, and when I could actually connect, it was hellishly laggy. They have a good game somewhere in there. But for my money, it's just not the best. $15 a month is nearly half my internet bill.

I guess I just expect more from Blizzard.

EDIT: I just went to the Blizzard site, cause I'm wondering what ever happened to Stardraft: Ghost. Very top thing in the "Special Features" section is a hot job opprotunity....for a Network Operations Manager. Looks like they're putting some effort into getting their problems fixed.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

David

Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:39 pm

It's not like that lag is really bad or anything. They just take the servers down too frequently, and it seems like they're not doing anything useful when they do so.

From what I read, it seems any lag problems are generally on the highest population servers. I'm on the most popular server and it's really not bad most of the time(but there are some terrible spikes now and then).

It really does feel like they're not even trying to get what problems they have fixed.

It's still a fun game, with alot more content than any other MMO I've played.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

RoninGyrbill
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:26 pm

I don't post here anymore 'cause I'm playing WoW. :)

I ran into occasional lag on my old server (magtheridon) but the windrunner server chosen by Player Hater for TR has so far been fine. Besides for that 16 hour maintenance that involved several servers the other day there have been no problems for me.

...Yeah, I said 16 hours. It was torture. I was required to interact with people and things from my actual life!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:40 am

I play on Lothar and I put in at least 2 hours a day. No issues for me. Yes they sometimes reboot the servers at in opportune times but that a quick 10-20 min fix...just enough to get some food and a Head Call in.

The game is still young I remember Star wars Galaxies having the same issues....and that game is no where nearly as polished as this one.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:09 am

I just read Penny Arcades diatribe on WoW and I have got to wonder what server they are playing on? I do not, I repeat, do not see the issues thery are seeing. I have only encountered 1 quest bug so far (the lvl 20 paladin quest which has been fixed) and 1 toon rollback (and I got double credit for the quest I was doing at the time).

Sure there are intermittant lag issues here and they are not show stoppers. The only real issue is the lag in Ironforge due to the Auction house. But I hear they are going to open one in Stormwind soon.

Have there been times I have been frustrated sure....but in a big picture sort of as of right now.....And I have been playing since day one......I would have to contribute a total 20% to unstatisfied.....that makes WoW a B in my book!

I have never once been one to go against what Gabe and Tycho have said in the past but this time I have to stand my ground and say "They are wrong!". Wrong for trying to prtray WoW as a bug filled, server up only 4 hours a day game. This is simply not true!

But I have to agree with them on the part where more information is needed, do tell us as server is to be restarted but tell us why! or Why the servers are going to be down longer than expected. What are you guys working on?

With that being said I have to admit SOE and their CSR's did an outstanding job when it came to disasters and server/network issues.
Last edited by tanker27 on Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:10 am

My server has been fine. Other then the weekly maintainence shutdowns it's been fine.

Lag isn't a huge issue either, 'cept when I go the the AH on a busy afternoon.

Got more memory on the way I've heard it helps.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

dolemitecomputers

Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:44 am

I've heard some servers like warsong have a 1200 player queue so I'm not sure how they will handle that. I play on the burning blade realm and it is pretty stable.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:27 pm

Most of my characters are on Warsong, and the queue peaks at 400 during peak hours. I've yet to see any lines longer than that, and most of the time it's shorter.

The lag isn't bad until you get anywhere near Ironforge. IF is like the kiss of death during peak hours. 2-3 second spells take 10+ seconds to cast and half the time I die before I realize that I've even aggroed something. Then again, that's more of a worse case scenario, as there are long periods of time where I'll get almost no lag, even near IF. It's just a mix of what time you're playing and if the Blizzard servers decide to take a dump or not.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:57 pm

I went to go buy WOW today and the guy at the game store said that Blizzard was holding back any more disks until they can get more servers up.

Can anyone confirm this?
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:58 pm

redeye wrote:
I went to go buy WOW today and the guy at the game store said that Blizzard was holding back any more disks until they can get more servers up.

Can anyone confirm this?

That seems to be the issue mentioned in the thread Penny-Arcade linked to over at Evil Avatar.

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:15 pm

And with Blizzard hiring a bunch of new networking people, who knows how long that could actually take...

- Comic Book Guy

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:34 pm

Can anyone confirm this?

Several of my friends have been told the same story by retailers.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Player Hater
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:56 am

I think it is VERY admirable that blizzard isn't pumping out copies to every retailer. They are basically putting the customers who have already paid ahead of customers who want to pay. Do you know how many game companies would do that? Do you think EA would do that?

There is a reason that Blizzard does these types of things. Because they know they have the trust of every gamer, and they don't want to lose it.

I occasionally see lag on the Windrunner server but it is my connection most of the time. The times I see lag it is usually during peak hours. If I am on in the morning before work at the Auction House it is totally lag free.

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:13 pm

I'm bring this thread back up cause I'm thinking about getting this game.

Today Friday Feb 11 2005, the game was released in Europe (i'm in the US) but most of my gaming friends are in Europe and I see that I can't play with them until a future date when everything is 'connected'. I was wondering if the game was getting better, I see there were some problems with server reliablility at one point, and I know at the European Release they had alot of problems that they had to take their activation pages down and I guess they are just coming back online. Like some that posted here if I get this game it would be the first online game where I had to pay a monthly subscription fee, which I have no problem with if the game is good and the 'support' is good too. So I was curious if people still like this game as they did at the start and if they still recommend it.

RoninGyrbill
Gerbil Elite

Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:00 am

Hey Hellsbellboy. The most recent discussion on WoW has been going on at [url=http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25790&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90[/url]this[/url] thread.

TR Members have been hanging out on the windrunner server mostly as Horde Members. I've had 5 confirmed sightings of other TR members and RandomGerbil is also running around as an alliance player. Personally, I have no complaints about the game and it has been fun for me since my first log on (mid Dec). It's been great questing/chatting with the gang from TR and there are plenty of other nice folk (and inevitably, some childish idiots) More substantially, there have been no server issues on windrunner except for 1 early 16 hour outage. Whenever Blizzard sends out a message of servers that require maintenance, windrunner is generally spared the hassle.

Hope to see you online soon. I would also like to hope that eventually the different regions (Korea, Europe, US) will be seamless as I am likely going to Korea in mid-summer.

caveat - I've played this game on 2 other machines without any problems but my game locks up occasionally on my main pc using an ati all-in-wonder 9600 pro.

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:47 pm

Ive been playing the game for 12+ hours each for the past 3 days and have gotten disconnected twice. Otherwise servers seem to be doin fine. I did find a bug though. And was nice enough to report it. :D

Oh and yeah, wont anyone play alliance?? Its getting lonely over here.

And you guys werent the ones behind the raid in westfall yesterday were ya?? All i no is i accidentally enabled pvp and got my arse handed to me on toasted wheat (me being lvl 12 then and the raiders lvl 40+ each).
Does anyone remember laughter?

StrangeDay

Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:30 pm

I almost did something similar. I saw a buch of Alliance guys wailing on NPC's and tried to step in. The fight was over before I could even bring up items and spells. Lvls were all "???".

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:02 pm

That's why I play a rogue. It's perfectly in charicter for me to say "Screw that guy, he probably deserved it anyway." :lol:
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:33 pm

LOL sounds like good fun then.. I saw 1 copy last night at Walmart before I posted here, went back to get it and it was gone.. so i made the rounds of EB at the mall, which for some reason is closing.. and was shut down.. then Best Buy, Comp USA, Circuit City even Toys R Us, but no place had it. I didn't think it would be in such short supply since it came out a few months ago..

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:28 pm

Weird thing about the supply, I've seen tons of them at my Best Buy.

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:14 pm

yeah I'm not sure why they are so short on this side of the Twin Cities, the nearest place I could confirm they have it is Bloomington, MN which I wasn't willing to drive today after already driving around Stillwater, Maplewood and Roseville, so I just ordered it online and it's suppose to be here Wednesday.

StrangeDay

Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:21 am

When I got mine, at Ford City Best Buy, there were like nine on the shelf. Bestbuy.com is showing sold out now. I think that means none the distributor, 'cause they seem to have no idea what's on their own shelves. :evil:

Note: I was in the battle at The Crossroads yesterday. I've never seen so many Lvl 49+ people in one place. There were like 10 Lvl 60s, and that's just on our side. Something big is up. I think It's foreplay to Battlegrounds.

I say "I was in it" in that there was one guy who couldn't auto resist my spells, and I died like 30 seconds after I popped my flag, about six times. :cry: Usually one hits from Lvl 60 Paladins and Warriors. Ouch.

They were using non-PvP spotters to call out places with no defenders. Then they would run in and gank people.

At one point, they had a group of Ubers camped out at the graveyard, waiting for weakened people to resurrect. You couldn't see them as you res'd, only when you rounded the corner and died all over.

Until that battle, I didn't know resurrections had a cooldown.