Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:07 pm

Velvet Elvis wrote:
Until that battle, I didn't know resurrections had a cooldown.

I learned that one the hard way too the other day. :-?
Does anyone remember laughter?

StrangeDay
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:01 pm

Remember I said Alliance was really into raiding? Check out this thread!
link
:o :o :o

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:23 pm

The down time earlier today was killer. I wanted to play some before my classes today, but no, the servers i pay good money to play on were down. Sigh. I had cravings all day. :-? And no im not an addict...they go to meetings.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:46 pm

Bought WoW. NOT FREAKING HAPPY.

LAG. I have Cable and there is LAG. :evil:

Server Issues are not acceptable for a game you pay a monthly fee for. :evil:

The Character Balance SUCKS. :roll:

I am a Warcraft Fan I was looking forward to this but this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth :-? . I sold it to a friend and with the money I put down on Guild Wars.
8)

dolemitecomputers

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:47 pm

GokuSS2 wrote:

I am a Warcraft Fan I was looking forward to this but this experience has left a bad taste in my mouth :-? . I sold it to a friend and with the money I put down on Guild Wars.
8)

Too bad it didn't work out for you. Were you on a high population server?

Strabo
Gerbil

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:09 pm

GokuSS2 wrote:

8)

Don't forget the LEGION of bugs and broken or useless skills and talents that litter the game that have been that way since beta.

It's going to be at least a year, maybe a year and a half before Blizzard FIXES the game. The Thanksgiving release wouldn't have been bad...if it had been Thanksgiving '05.

dolemitecomputers

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:35 pm

Looks like that hasn't stopped our european brothers from lining up to buy it:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/news/ima ... e/ss06.jpg

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:51 pm

Keep in mind that most MMORPGs are in much worse shape upon release than WoW. All things considered, things have been pretty smooth.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:19 pm

Don't forget the LEGION of bugs and broken or useless skills and talents that litter the game that have been that way since beta.

What MMORPG hasn't had these problems upon release? I took up DAOC the day it was released, and was met with far more problems than I was with WoW. Granted DAOC did not have the server population issues that WoW has. The class balance issue on DAOC became such a problem that Mythic put a permanent skill respec system in place. There were times when the changes that Mythic made to certain skills destroyed character builds. Entire trees of skills became useless. It was madness. Mythic is still struggling with character balance today. In fact, I don't think there is a single MMO that does not have character balance, either real or percieved, issues.

It's going to be at least a year, maybe a year and a half before Blizzard FIXES the game.

This is pretty much standard for any MMO as well. I quite playing EQ when it first came out because of bugs and balance issues. I picked it back up a year later and was surprised at how much it had changed for the better. DAOC was the same way. Even Star Wars Galaxies, which was a phenomenally buggy piece of trash in beta, has matured to the point of playability after a year. This is something that people are just going to have to accept about MMO's.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:31 am

Strabo wrote:

It's going to be at least a year, maybe a year and a half before Blizzard FIXES the game. The Thanksgiving release wouldn't have been bad...if it had been Thanksgiving '05.

Strabo I would ask that you further refrain yourself from posting anymore flame bait about the subject in the future. You have stated already you weren't happy and did not like it. Fine, so be it. We understand. But the fact of the matter is this: there are multitudes of players who log-on everyday and haven't experienced what you did. Further flaming the game as a piece of trash is not right. You had your say. Its well documented. Move on.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:53 am

tanker27 wrote:
Strabo wrote:

Strabo I would ask that you further refrain yourself from posting anymore flame bait about the subject in the future. You have stated already you weren't happy and did not like it. Fine, so be it. We understand. But the fact of the matter is this: there are multitudes of players who log-on everyday and haven't experienced what you did. Further flaming the game as a piece of trash is not right. You had your say. Its well documented. Move on.

It's funny. You asked.

tanker27 wrote:
Can someone who extensively beta tested this game give their honest opnion? I want to try a new mmorpg but if this does not hold up then I guess it's back to SWG.

You never stated in the start of your thread not to post negative comments. :roll:

emkubed
Gerbil Elder

Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:02 am

It's hard to talk about WoW without bringing up the issues many have faced. Heck, they stopped shipping the game to set things right with their existing user base, so that's worth talking about in an open WoW discussion.

Those who have played and had serious issues need to share them, just as much as those who's game has been rosy need to pipe-up and say "All's well" . Check's and Balances, baby.

I can honestly say I eagerly await feedback on GW when it goes live, good or bad. I feel like I've taken it upon myself by doing this TR Guild to play tech support/game coordinator, and I expect I'll spend as much time helping new players by replaying old missions as I will do anything else in the game.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:03 pm

GokuSS2 wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
Strabo wrote:

It's funny. You asked.

tanker27 wrote:
Can someone who extensively beta tested this game give their honest opnion? I want to try a new mmorpg but if this does not hold up then I guess it's back to SWG.

You never stated in the start of your thread not to post negative comments. :roll:

Thanks for reading just a portion of 4 pages. If you don't know by now I have been playing WoW since open beta. I myself, have had no troubles, and think it's the most polished MMORPG to date! I also played UO, DAOC , Evercrack and SWG. Not of these can touch WoW! (well I wish I had a house)

Strabo had voiced his concerns and we all took note. I even offered suggestion on how to improve but they fell on deaf ears. Diffrent strokes for different folks right. But the constant barrage of "this game sucks, garbage, etc" is tiring. I would hate anyone to be turned off because of what 1 person says.

I only contend that his opinion was already documented and you could go back and review again if need be. Besides his opinion would be different if he was trying(or is) to play the game on a regular basis! try once and says it sucks is fine....don't drag it out.

And you are right I never once said no flaming or "other" opinions.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:49 pm

Finally got the game.. played it last night and it's AWESOME.. first RPG I've played on the PC.. first RPG I've played since Final Fantasy 7 on the PS back in like 96 or 97..

I didn't have any issues with it... other then I don't think my 512MB of RAM is enough anymore.. with only the game and ICQ running (as well as the 'normal' 22 other processes, firewall, Antivirus etc) it was filling 560MB..

StrangeDay

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:26 pm

I've played Diablo, Diablo 2, and Baldur's Gate I & II. I've never been impressed with a product the way WoW has got me now, esp. given the scope of the project.

The TR clan is on a server that seems to have little population problems. The bugs I've seen are so minor I don't even notice.

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:22 pm

the only bug i've noticed is cows walking on the sides of trees.. :lol:

StrangeDay

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:52 pm

Are you sure it is a bug? Those cows are more than they seem. (shakes fist) :evil: :evil: :evil:

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:49 am

I saw two bug down in the SW Stockades. One instance, an enemy came through a wall. Another, an enemy totally disappeared. But otherwise its been ok.

StrangeDay

Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:01 pm

I found another bug. I attacked a Dalamar mage. It was a Gnome female. I send the Voidwalker in, and started clicking on curses.

Nothing. She just stood there. She didn't respond, or take damage.

I thought I was dead. Then, I stopped.

Nothing. She just still stood there.

So I spent a little while just beating on her with my staff.

Nothing.

I got bored and left.

The Dalamar Mages must be messed up, because I saw one walking sideways up the mountain.

BTW: If any of you Horde guys see me online (Malagaunt), I could use some help with the following quests:
Arugall's Follly
The Weaver (20+ mobs, Killing Dalamar Mages)
Assault on Fenris Isle
Deathstalkers in Shadowfang (Elite)
The Book of Ur (Elite)
Hearts of the Pure (bunch of 20+ mobs that swarm you)

Just msg me if you want to help.

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:38 pm

Velvet Elvis wrote:
...(some stuff)...

That was my Power Word:LAG spell. :lol:

I've noticed the same thing. The MOB seems to be anchored in place and no matter what you throw at them they always evade. I just target something else then kill it. :wink:
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:49 am

I took a brief stroll through horde territory. Somewhere near Stonetalon Mountain...dunno what the name was exactly. But it was brief, woulda gotten mine arse beat off if i stayed longer. Made me think "Wow i really need a mount, all this running around takes forever!"

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:27 am

Speaking of Stonetalon Mountains, I was hunting there with my NE druid (on a PvP server) the other day when some horde decided to crash my little party. Anyways, two shamen and a warlock decide to take my old hunting ground after a higher level rogue proceeded to take me out in three hits. Anyways, I rez and decide to get some revenge. All three of the horde characters in my area were roughly equal level to me, with the two shamen grouping together and the warlock playing solo. So, I shapeshift into my cat form, hit stealth, and proceed to sneak up on the warlock. Using the element of surprise, I was able to easily take out the warlock without the shamen discovering my presence. I stealthed again, and circled around behind the shamen. I root one of them, and start nailing the second one into the ground. When it was all said and done, I come out alive and leave three dead horde in my wake. The best part? I repeat the same scenario a short while later. :D

And some people say that druids are gimp in PvP. :lol:
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

StrangeDay

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:00 am

I found an area of the map where we're not supposed to go.

I swam past Fenris Isle in Silverpine, and went North toward Lordaeron (sp?). I climbed my way up, just to check it out, and see if there was a faster way to get back to Undercity. Heck, I'm poor. I can't affort the 99c for a Bat everytime I want to see the bank.

I got up the mountain, and noticed that the maps for the castle were incomplete. But, I could still see the elevator into Undercity working in the distance.

So, of course I jumped down. I walked across a field (through what should have been the castle), and fell into some abyss. It was like swimming, but I couldn't go up. Eventually it just killed me and I res'd in Brill.

StrangeDay

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:11 pm

eckslax wrote:
... that druids are gimp in PvP. :lol:

Nope. They are supposed to be one of the best ... outdoors. Supposedly, in dungeons they can be beaten easier, so watch out for that.

I have to get better at PvP. I'm hoping to learn a bunch by dueling.

I got punked by a warror seven levelsl below me. He was undead, so fear didn't work. He ignored my Voidwalker and interroupted every spell I tried to bring off. It was lost early on. On my side, I think he was a twink with boosted gear, but he was really gracious, and even bowed after it was done. Bigger clans boost lower level guys, so they win fights easier (armor kits, enchantments, maxed out gear for their level, and the like).

We really have to get the clan thing together. I wish there were more TR Horde guys on our server. It is a ghost town around me. Only Ogrimmar has been crowded.

BTW: I ditched Enchanting for now. It was killing my income. I was down to 20s, or less. I went with Skinning, and I'll keep that until around 40.
Last edited by StrangeDay on Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:23 pm

I'm at lvl 13 still haven't really left Elwynn Forest, getting everything maxed out.. was lucky and got 50 s from a friend in my community who's been playing awhile and that allowed me to get all the training I needed and some very good equipment. I'm maxed at at Leatherwork 75/75 and Fishing 150/150, got my Skinning at 109/150, Cooking 80/150 and First Aid 80/150. I make pretty good money on Embossed Leather Boots and Cloaks that I just sell to the Vendor. Have to find new higher lvl Trainers soon.

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:55 pm

Drop Mightyjanus a line if you need help. Level 32 mage and climbing fast. :wink:

RoninGyrbill
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:00 am

OMG! Didn't you get the game like a week ago?! I have a lvl 27 on one server and a lvl 28 on another and its been over 2 months. Truly 1337 or truly scary, I can't decide! :P At least get off the pc for a slice of cheesecake at Juniors... BTW, I'll be in "The Manhattan" this week to check out the new Gates Exhibit at the Park & the South Korean Tourism Office. We should meet up so I can tell you how the Alliance, and Republicans are bad.

It must simply be easier for you alliance dogs to lvl up... yeah that's it.

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:18 am

Lol. Well i dont know about easy to level up, ive got a mage after all. I get double teamed and im dead. I have the good fortune of being a senior in my last semester of college with only 3 classes to take. Explains where i get the time. As for Republicans being evil, well not all are. Like me, im not evil. Neother is Bush, despite what 99.9998% of this city says. Just misguided is all....umm..yeah. lol.

But anyways, actually i havent been to see the gates yet myself. Havent had the time. WoW has taken over my life. :-?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:25 pm

Four (4) more servers (realms, I guess they are a cluster of servers) were brought online today:

Eldre'Thalas - PvE
Spirestone- PvP
Shadow Council- RP
Scarlet Crusade– RP

See.....they are actively fixing things. :wink:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:44 pm

All this WoW playing has put a serious hurt on my f@h numbers. :-?