Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

Toyotamr2_86NA
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:27 pm

I have a Hewlett Packard 640C printer. It just stopped working one day. There are two lights on the front of it. A green (Power Light) and an Orange. When I turn the printer on, the orange lightjust keeps flashing. It has full ink (both color and black). And paper is full. Anyone have any idea of what the hell is wrong with this thing? Or know why it does this? Thanx

Lao Tze
Gerbil First Class

Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:37 am

Check your manual, I am sure that it would be documented in the troubleshooting section...

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:46 am

From HPs web site:

If <image src="http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpd06629-2.gif"> is steady lit and <image src="http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpd06629-1.gif"> is blinking.

If you just installed a print cartridge, make sure that the cartridge is securely snapped into the printer with the arrow aligned with the dots on the top of the print cartridge cradle. Close the top cover of the printer if it is open. Check the lower IN tray to make sure it contains paper and that the paper is correctly loaded in the tray. Press RESUME(<image src="http://www.hp.com/cposupport/printers/support_doc/bpd06629-1.gif">) to clear the error condition. Then, check the computer screen for any reported error message and corrective action instructions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SecretSquirrel on 2002-02-23 00:47 ]</font>

Toyotamr2_86NA
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2002 3:21 am

Thanx for the responses.
The ink was just replaced. Not by me. So I will double check to make sure it was put in correctly.

Thanx again

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 23, 2002 3:34 am

If the ink was just replaced then I would venture to guess that one of the cartridges is almost certainly mis-seated. When you check make sure you actually take the cartridge out and then re-seat it. I have had occasions where the cartridge looked fine, but the printer thought it was in wrong.

Mrrr Psycho
Gerbil In Training

Sat Feb 23, 2002 11:49 am

make sure whoever it was took the blue tape off the print cartridge heads - I did this the other day. Damn, did I look the fool.

Toyotamr2_86NA
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2002 4:06 pm

I just checked the ink cartriges. They are seated correctly. I even took them out and re-seated them. And yes, the blue seal on them has been peeled.

The orange light just keeps on blinking.

Thanx again everyone

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 24, 2002 6:13 am

I don't wanna make you sound stupid or anything, since I have no experience with HP printers... but are they inks official brand? If they are some extra cheap brand, then they might be a bit wobbly (what a phrase! :grin:)

Other than that, I don't know, sos :cry:
IntelMole