Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:15 pm

Hello, all! My name is MadMan and I tack on the "Original" b/c most of the time "MadMan" is taken on a forum I join. The reason I am the "original" is because I have been using MadMan as a nick ever since the days of the *original* "Gunship" put out by Microprose on 5.25" high density disks cicra ~1989, so I feel that I AM the original MadMan AFA computers are concerned. I still have the manuals and disks for Gunship, M1 Tank Platoon, and others if anyone is interested <G>

Also, I have recently registered the same nick for the daily comments, but I have been reading TR for as long as I can remember surfing, with salty sea air spray in my hair, the web's hardware sites (about 4 years or more for TR??). I have a fair amount of personal hardware knowledge, and a crapload from reading various message boards. :smile:

Anyway, figured I would say "HI" and to Forge: I live near Harrisburg, PA, where is King of Prussia, PA??

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Feb 06, 2002 6:52 am

Sorry about the silliness of the first post here, I had had a few before I posted so I was a *little* out of it :wink:

Anyway, I hope to become a regular and contributing member here.

Cheers!

element
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Feb 06, 2002 3:38 pm

Since we're discussing nicknames, element is my latest nick, but ppl know me more as aeon, which is also the nick on ICQ and my e-mail alias since 1997. I started using element cuz i found it rather cool sounding, and aeon comes from aeon flux.

JohnnyQ
Gerbil XP

Wed Feb 06, 2002 5:17 pm

hmm, a nick discussion. ok:

I chose JohnnyQ the first time I played Unreal Tournament (oddly enough) and was choosing a character/face/colour etc. I thought it sounded like someone who could kick ass without sounding too... obscure and contrived.

Nowadays i'm more inclined to see it as an attempt at anonymity (sp?). a "John Q Public" variation. (so much for not being obscure and contrived!)

before that i was Mort. (y'know, as in: death.) again i was trying to have a nick that would be relevant in a FPS senario, without sounding stupid on IRC...

it's funny what ppl get up to on the net.. :)

JQ

TwoFer
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 06, 2002 6:11 pm

I've always been poor at coming up with names -- the ones I pick are apparently only meaningful to me, and that not necessarily all the time.

"TwoFer" had its origins in frustration, trying to come up with a nick which wasn't already taken, back years ago on 2cpu.com's 'board. I can't even remember what I tried in the early rounds, but since all my own homebuilt boxes anymore are duallies, "two for one" was what was on my mind... and IIRC an acquaintance had been commenting on one of my newsgroups about his "teef" ( http://www.drbukk.com/explain.html )... and I'd had a couple of beers, no doubt...

Once I'd thought it up, it was easier to use it on other sites than to try to think up another. And it has the advantage that it isn't generally taken.

Spune
Gerbil XP

Thu Feb 07, 2002 1:42 am

I didn't come up with Spune myself as I am terrible at coming up with names. My roommate a couple of years ago came up with after I got sick of my old name. We had a rather nice network setup in rez and we spent all our time playing CS. :wink:

What I really want to know is where Forge came up with his name!

newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 07, 2002 7:22 am

Mine is easy.

Despite
Gerbil XP

Thu Feb 07, 2002 8:31 am

Forge is probably a Marvel comics fan.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 07, 2002 8:58 am

Well since my last name starts with the letter 'Z'. My friends early on in high school started calling me just 'Z'. There were four other people with my first name in my class alone and since some of us were friends. Others started using our last names to separate us. Since my last name isn't easy to pronounce quickly, it got shortened to the aforementioned 'Z'. Somewhere along the line the '-man' got added. I'm not sure when. Funny part is in new jobs or college, that I've been at. People always pick up the use of that name without me informing them. Just to give you an idea my 10 year class reunion is this year, that's how long I've had the name.

Rancid_Meat
Gerbil

Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:26 pm

I've been Rancid_Meat for sometime. It all started at a LAN party where one of our friends chose "fresh meat" because he was getting spanked. I though, if he's fresh, I'm really rotten (I was getting spanked harder at the time), so I'll be Rancid_Meat.

lenzenm
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:47 pm

Well, OK, I'll chime in too.
Mine primary nick is terribly unimaginative. Back when I was a freshman at the Milwuakee School of Engineering (MSOE for short, pronounced Mo-Zee) in 92-93, all new students were assigned VAX user accounts that were composed of their last name, followed by their first initial. I've used it ever since.
My backup nick, GodHammer, is the name of a futuristic .50cal fully automatic handgun utilized by the "Buro" in the collectible card game (CCG) Shodowfist, and its offspring, the role-playing game (RPG) Feng Shui, which I still play.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:43 pm

hehe, this is now a "hot thread." how funny...

I always try to use "MadMan" for online type stuff, but quite often it is taken, so I have to come up with a variant. I have used "MadMan" "MadMan_b4u" "MadMan007" and this one, among others.

I used this one for the front page comments recently, so I figured I would keep it the same for the forum. The funny thing is, I have been reading TR as long as I can remember reading hardware sites, and I am pretty sure I registered "MadMan" as a nick for that, but I forgot the password and the email address to get the password is no longer in use. oh, well...

Polare
Gerbil First Class

Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:54 pm

I came up with Polare out of a mishmash of random words for a character in a LARP about 6 years ago and used it since then as it makes a good online moniker.

As a completely random coincidence, about 3 years after I started using it I finally found out why I kept getting strange Swedish notes from people on ICQ... apparently Polare is Swedish for "friend". Talk about wierd, random things...

-Polare

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Feb 07, 2002 5:39 pm

Okay, Am biting like the mole I am...

I couldn't think of a name that wouldn't sound crap (see da100385) and wasn't my dog's nickname (somehow my dog maisie became maisymoomoo, can you see me being taken seriously with that????)

So I searched my brain for something to take my outta AG status cos I was getting my butt whipped for it (Remember the cold war argument Forge and TwoFer? That was fun, wanna do it agen sometime? Although on second thoughts, I think I had the name before that, can't be sure... can't be bothered to look it up)

I came up with some computer related ideas, and as I was looking for parts for a new computer I read some reviews, a sudden burning hatred for anything Intel burnt up in me... I guess I got a weakness for the underdog. IntelMole sounds like I'm on AMD's side, which of course I am :smile:

So ner,
IntelMole

ANApex
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 12, 2002 10:01 pm

Well I guess I'll bite too. Anapex comes from two things. The AN is from a MUD called Arcane Nites that I play and used to do some work for. Apex comes from an old old 8088 series from Epson (yes epson), that was called Apex One. I typically go by just Apex but after running across http://www.gotapex.com I didn't want to have any confusion between myself and the namesake of said hardware site. So throw em all together mix em all up in just the right way and you get me, Anapex.

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Feb 13, 2002 7:52 pm

I think Forge should change his name on a regular basis, so it looks like he doesn't post as often as he does...

However, soon we'll soon have a member called "500-599" if we did that :razz:

maybe he should be SMP, short for
"Simply More Posts"?

Any suggestions people?,
IntelMole

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Feb 22, 2002 2:43 am

Simply More Posts
Some More Processors
Screwed My PC
Some Mixed Parts

I was Dr. Blade Ninja (Blade caused it sounded cool, Ninja cause I was like 8 and that was the fad).

Then I was Ghost (as in 'in the shell'), but then I turned twelve and needed something impressive.

I became BlackenedForge (as in anvils and fire and good stuffs), but I kept misspelling it, and it was unwieldly.

I was BlackForge, but it suffered the same fate. (Plus, the shortnick 'Blacky' or 'Black' does wonders to bring out the racist in anyone, be they for or against)

Now I'm Forge. Seems to fit. Maybe I'll get my name legally changed. :smile: I've been AMD_Forge or AMDForge when just plain Forge was taken, but I'm 'Forge' pretty much all over the net, and have been for quite a while.

I just wish the mofo who snagged 'Forge' in Tribes2 would give it to me.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Feb 22, 2002 2:48 am

SecretSquirrel came about due to the collision of several factors. One was that I had recently registered SuperSecret.org as a domain with the intention of starting a security site (like that will ever happen). I was also looking for something apropo for the TR forums and figure SecretSquirrel was a good poke in the eye for the Anonymous Gerbils.

As a note, I think I also registered MoroccoMole in the forums as well. Though it may have been lost in the purge.

K-Wulf
Gerbil First Class

Fri Feb 22, 2002 6:09 am

Okay, I've been K-Wulf ever since i started with processor architecture and found the AMD's K line of processors much more interesting designs.
From the brainiac K5 to the godly macho chip K7 :grin: ...

The K in K-Wulf came directly from that fascination and the wulf part just sounded cool.(Wolves are one of my favorite animals too though).

P.S. You guys *do* know what the K in the K5-K8 stands for right?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: K-Wulf on 2002-02-22 05:10 ]</font>

Bruce
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 22, 2002 7:14 am

See if you can guess where mine came from. :smile:

Seriously, after playing an online game called MetalKnights where two of the best players went by the handles of 'Rob' and 'Chris' I decided to drop the nick.

Bruce

Lao Tze
Gerbil First Class

Sat Feb 23, 2002 3:13 pm

Normally I go by Nichevo(russian for nothing, also an expression of defeat) I chose Lao Tze for a change after spitting out a couple Taoist quotes here on TR as a gerbil...