Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

StrangeDay
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:53 pm

DJK wrote:
Velvet Elvis wrote:
I'm trying my damnedest to power level a Priest to make sure that doesn't happen again. I'm on spring break, so hopefully it won't take another month.

What level are you now and what's your charecter? Maybee I can help out.

I'm level 11, just a jump from 12 now. I'll try to make 13 before tonight. I've got just about all the top gear I can buy with Malagaunt's finances, but the AH is gouging lately.

I sent him some gold for gear and spell purchases, and so far I'm maxed out on everything I can buy. It all comes down to doing quests and busting heads! :wink:

Thanks for any help you can give me. Some of the guys have gone out of their way to help me comp, even though I'm a few levels back from them. You know who you are!

StrangeDay

Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:58 pm

Roirraw made a suggesstion last night, that I think was golden. What do you guys think about using a voice chat program like Roger Wilco, or Teamspeak when we do instances? It would cut down on the typing time when we get ganked.

I guess Roirraw used such a program when he gamed Diablo 2 with no problems.

Just a thought.

StrangeDay

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:14 pm

Alright. I'm addicted to this game, and I talk about it too much.

In other news: I logged on this morning, with Malagaunt, to check on my AH results (whcih have dropped off until the weekend). What do I see, but an ungodly amount of Alliance (mostly 50-60's) right in the middle of Orgrimmar.

They made it as far as Thrall's throne room, but Vol'jin (sp?) wiped them all.

Later on, they all res'd and stomped the guys at the AH (how do you get behind there anyway?) and pounded any guards that came by.

The point: This was all at 5:30am Server Time, when they knew almost nobody would be on. Orgrimmar was dead. I saw maybe five or six people until an hour into it. These guys were able to camp out for a good two or more hours with little resistance.

The good news is I finally got a few kills in, without dying. Previously, my Horde Defense Strategy consisted of making feeble attempts to cast spells, while throwing my toon's flesh at them to dull their blades. Guess I'm doing better now that I've rounded the halfway mark to 60.

People were complaining that OG is one of the worst laid out cities in the game. Does any Alliance player know if IF or SW has been laid waste like this?

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:18 pm

The Stormwind king got killed the other day. He's only lvl 5 though. I'm not sure what you mean by bad city design, SW is like a bunch of rings put together, IF is more like several rings one inside the other.

It seems like there'd be more places to hide in SW, perhaps.

MarshaLaw
Gerbil

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:23 pm

Velvet Elvis wrote:
Roirraw made a suggesstion last night, that I think was golden. What do you guys think about using a voice chat program like Roger Wilco, or Teamspeak when we do instances? It would cut down on the typing time when we get ganked.

I guess Roirraw used such a program when he gamed Diablo 2 with no problems.

Just a thought.

I think this is a great idea. I used teamspeak when I played Planetside<shivers> :evil: and it worked really well. I agree that it would help out tremendously especially on the instances.

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:30 pm

Yea, Stormwind has a bunch of buildings with nothing in them but maybe one person and the upstairs is usually desserted at the inns. Also, I don't think the guards will follow someone into the water so you could be safe there as well. Ironforge, at least on the server I frequent, would be much harder to raid becouse of the AH. Seems like there is regularly level 60s just milling around the bank and the AH at all hours of the day and night.

What's the point of raids anyway? Is there quests you get later on for them or is it just to annoy other players?

And why do people constanly misspell rogue as rouge?

And why is it every time I walk through Goldenshore someone challenges me to a dual?? :evil:

EDIT: Oh yea, teamspeak is great. Use it now with another couple we play WoW with.
"I am too old to die young, and too young to grow up," - Marty Feldman

Player Hater
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:04 pm

I am all for using Ventrilo or Teamspeak or whatever. I have used Ventrilo in my Call of Duty clan and it worked almost flawlessly. Plus its free. Have never used Teamspeak but I would imagine it works fine as well. I would have no idea how to set up a server but I am sure with all the TR knowledge in the group, one of us would be able to figure it out. :D

P.S. Gonna be level 37 tonight :D

I need to save more money for my mount. I am at 16 gold, but Velvet said that mounts are 100! BTW, where would an orc buy a mount anyway?
I'm Draal, on WoW, Windrunner Server.

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:16 pm

Ventrillo has a limitation of of 8 users for the free version. I don't think teamspeak does.

RoninGyrbill
Gerbil Elite

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:03 pm

Player Hater wrote:
I am at 16 gold, but Velvet said that mounts are 100! BTW, where would an orc buy a mount anyway?

Orc Wolves are available in Orgrimmar in the Valley of Heroes, I think it's called. I will have to buy my lizard mount in the Troll Village right after the Valley of Trials. I'm rearing to go! I'll see you all later, though I know absolutely nothing about voice software, I'll learn. (and buy I microphone, I guess :) )

I'm at 13 gold but grinding in Stranglethorn Vale is good for $$. And I need to stop twinking my priest!

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:11 pm

What's twinking?

Twinking

Term used to describe a computer game player who uses high-level items that are obtained by a much higher-level character on their low level character to help develop the character much easier.

Oh, okay

Hellsbellboy
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:33 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Hellsbellboy wrote:
I would never play as a woman's character.. so i naively assume others wouldn't either, unless they were girls or trying to trick others..
This is an interesting point, you would only play as a male because you are male? Hmm. I have such a variety of characters that none of them are very similar to me...besides I'm going with the George Martin naming scheme so it's hard to run an orc or troll and have it be a Martin-esque name.

Is it strange to run a female character? I doubt all the human females running around are really female, otherwise WoW would have a ratio of female gamers that's statistically very high.

I believe WOW has a high ratio of woman that play.. a lot more then any FPSs I have played.. in my Community most of the couples have wives or girlfriends that play.. my girlfriend plays.. all of them play as woman characters and i haven't heard any of them express a interest of being a male character. My charcter isn't my alter ego, but like all RPG players carries certain traits of myself, in so far as I play to my likes and dislikes. But then I also only play one character and not multi characters.

StrangeDay

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:50 pm

redeye wrote:
What's the point of raids anyway? Is there quests you get later on for them or is it just to annoy other players?

There are raid quests to take down huge mobs. The city raids are just punkish. People d#ck waving. That's all.

redeye wrote:
And why do people constanly misspell rogue as rouge?
I love it and hate it when people do that. Jim and I used to play Rogue Trader, but everyone spelled it Rouge Trader, which has a totally different meaning, and is nowhere near as cool.

redeye wrote:
And why is it every time I walk through Goldenshore someone challenges me to a dual?? :evil:
I got challenged right in Bloodhoof, by some bloke named Warner. He invited me into a group, wouldn't talk to me, and just kept wandering around and challenging party members. Strange guy. I almost pulled a "/ignore" on him.

StrangeDay

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:51 pm

redeye wrote:
Ventrillo has a limitation of of 8 users for the free version. I don't think teamspeak does.

Hmm. Interesting. If only we had more guys playing at once.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:55 pm

Redeye, Elvis:

People can't spell anything in WoW in a lot of cases.
Get a brain you morans! *

* fark reference

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:19 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Any miners notice bugs where you try to mine copper and get stuck until you logoff?...slightly annoying.

Some plants do that too, though it hasnt happened to me in a long time. Ws earthroot used to do it to me. Another thing ive seen is plants (sungrass) spawning underneath the map so you cant pick em.
Does anyone remember laughter?

MarshaLaw
Gerbil

Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:53 am

Player Hater wrote:
I would have no idea how to set up a server but I am sure with all the TR knowledge in the group, one of us would be able to figure it out. :D

I can setup a Teamspeak server this weekend, however the PC is just connected via a comcast cable modem, and from what I read, after between 6 to 10 users on at the same time the speech can get choppy.

I figure we'll give it a try, and if it is terrible, then we can investigate other options.

redeye
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:27 am

Velvet Elvis wrote:
There are raid quests to take down huge mobs. The city raids are just punkish. People d#ck waving. That's all.

My favorite was the level 60 guys that ran into southshore every 10-15 minutes, slaughtered the cows, then jumped on their mounts and ran off.

Velvet Elvis wrote:
I love it and hate it when people do that. Jim and I used to play Rogue Trader, but everyone spelled it Rouge Trader, which has a totally different meaning, and is nowhere near as cool.

:lol:

Velvet Elvis wrote:
I got challenged right in Bloodhoof, by some bloke named Warner. He invited me into a group, wouldn't talk to me, and just kept wandering around and challenging party members. Strange guy. I almost pulled a "/ignore" on him.

Yup, the challenge/invite to party/invite to guild with no explanation people get the sharp end of my /ignore list. I had someone invite me to their guild six times in a row at one point.

StrangeDay

Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:34 am

MarshaLaw wrote:
I can setup a Teamspeak server this weekend, however the PC is just connected via a comcast cable modem, and from what I read, after between 6 to 10 users on at the same time the speech can get choppy.

I figure we'll give it a try, and if it is terrible, then we can investigate other options.

Thanks man!

StrangeDay

Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:38 am

redeye wrote:
Velvet Elvis wrote:

My favorite was the level 60 guys that ran into southshore every 10-15 minutes, slaughtered the cows, then jumped on their mounts and ran off.

I know. What's the point of killing cows. Is there a tally somewhere I don't know about?

redeye wrote:
Velvet Elvis wrote:

Yup, the challenge/invite to party/invite to guild with no explanation people get the sharp end of my /ignore list. I had someone invite me to their guild six times in a row at one point.

I love it when I get romanced by guilds in OG, just 'cause I'm level 32 now. Especially when it's by somebody half my level, who just runs up and thrusts a charter at me. At least talk to me first. :roll:

The other type, who'll actually "/w" you before they invite or whatever, are usually pretty cool. Some are just newly made guild officers, who have to recruit for a while as part of their duties (think: huge guilds).

StrangeDay

Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:45 am

I have a question for the Non-Windrunner TR guys:

What is it like on your server? Is it crowded, with a lot of players? On Windrunner I feel like I'm lucky if I see over 20 people in the AH at Orgrimmar, even on a Saturday.

Problems? Likes? Do you have to que to sign on?

RoninGyrbill
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:47 am

What's the funniest thing you guys see players doing on WoW? Mine:

1. Two high lvl trolls named Killah and Killerz flexing at eachother during my entire Zeppelin trip back to Kalimdor.

2. 2 lvl 60 warlocks allowing lvl9 boars to endlessly hit them without counterattacking outside of Orgrimmar.

3. The countless instances of large groups dancing in public places for no particular reason, one of them almost always running around in no more than a loincloth.

4. The famed Shaman Doggy dance.

MarshaLaw
Gerbil

Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:18 pm

One of the funniest things I saw was in Thousand Needles. I'm walking along at the base of a cliff, I look up, and I see a guy jumping off the cliff above, me. For some reason when I looked up my cursor landed right on his toon, and noticed that he had just a sliver of health.

Figuring I was about the watch this guy plummet to his death, I stood and watched :). Literally moments before he strikes the ground, I see his toon light up (he took a healing potion in mid-air :o ). BAM! he hits the ground and survives, although the fall left him with about the same HP as he had when he jumped, that potion was just enough. Just as I'm about to congradulate the guy for a pretty slick move, a needles cougar spawns right on top him. One swipe, dead.

I laughed for about five minutes. :D

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:02 pm

Velvet Elvis wrote:
On Windrunner I feel like I'm lucky if I see over 20 people in the AH at Orgrimmar, even on a Saturday.

Huh? Go to Ironforge if you want to see lag and tons of people on Windrunner. There were over 20 in the AH last nite in the wee hours of the morning.

For funny stories, my lvl 9 saw his first area effect spell the other day. 2-3 40-60 lvl characters came through an area we were systematically pulling and killed everything in under 4 seconds. It was amazing!

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:12 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Velvet Elvis wrote:
On Windrunner I feel like I'm lucky if I see over 20 people in the AH at Orgrimmar, even on a Saturday.

Huh? Go to Ironforge if you want to see lag and tons of people on Windrunner. There were over 20 in the AH last nite in the wee hours of the morning.

During the most crowded times, its more like 20 people in front of each of the three auction platforms, plus another 20 by the mailbox and 10 by the bridge.
Does anyone remember laughter?

StrangeDay

Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:03 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Velvet Elvis wrote:

For funny stories, my lvl 9 saw his first area effect spell the other day. 2-3 40-60 lvl characters came through an area we were systematically pulling and killed everything in under 4 seconds. It was amazing!

See, that's another problem. There are a lot more Alliance than Horde overall, but on Windrunner it varies from 3:1 to 4:1 (supposedly, who knows how to varify) Alliance:Horde. None of my Alliance toons are high enough to bother going to IF, yet.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:17 pm

Ironforge lag? Really? Personally I think it is a mythological creature of legend. Seriously, I hit IF on a saturday afternoon and my latency goes from 85ms to 165ms on average. I get a hiccup and thats it. I'm on a meduim population server. Busy as hell on a Saturday. Still not an issue.

So I fail to see what the issue is. :D :D :D :D
Last edited by zgirl on Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:22 pm

Try Windrunner, you'll see it. Checking mail can take up to 2 minutes, you stop moving on a regular basis, etc.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:40 pm

No actually I doubt I would. See it is my impression that it isn't the servers or the population that is the issue. Why? Because I used to have lag when I hit IF. I upgraded from 512MB to 1GB of RAM, issue gone.

I feel that it isn't blizzard's servers or the bandwidth to them, it is the bandwidth of your connection and speed of your system. See it isn't if Blizzard's servers can get the info out to you. It's if your connection and PC can handle the sheer flood of info coming in to process it quickly enough when you hit a highly crowded area. I noticed when I had 512MB of RAM, my HD would thrash like an SOB when I entered IF on a busy day. Now with a Gig it blips for a second or two and then settles.

Then of course I have a 2.0Mbps connection P4 3.0 Ghz, 10k Raptor and a Gig of RAM. ATI 9600 XT.

Lag, still don't know what you are talking about.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

Grumpy_Eel
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:47 pm

Hey guys, everytime i try to play my 47 warrior on stonemaul it keeps crashing, so i think im gonna make a char on windrunner. I looked at the census and i dont know what we need. We only have 3 horde priests and 1 alliance one, so maybe ill make one. What you guys think?
Your body slaughters millions of bacteria every second... you genocidal maniac.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:53 pm

z-man wrote:
I upgraded from 512MB to 1GB of RAM, issue gone.
Well, I have an AMD 3200, 768MB Ram, OEM hard drive and not top end video card, so maybe one of those (RAM, HD, video card) is to blame. Not to mention SBC DSL can't be the best. But for the sake of discussion, what's your estimate of the highest pop. you've seen in IF with no lag? I estimate 40-50 outside the AH and 60-70 inside it for me.