Shuttle SN41G2
AXP 2600+ TBred
2x512 Corsair 3200XLPT*
Maxtor 80GB (not plugged in for the mo)
Maxtor 250GB (empty)
Sapphire X800 XT*
550W ATX Power Supply sitting on top*

*Just installed

OK, I've just fitted my new memory and gpu, and was planning on doing a fresh install of winXP on my 250 gig hdd. After fitting everything, I booted up, and all worked fine, except my cd drive, which doesnt work, which is why im not installing XP as we speak, but that's not the point.

I went into the bios, to reset optimised defaults, as i'd made some changes when i first got the comp, a year ago, and wanted to start from scratch again with my new stuff.
After reseting the bios, i saved and exited, and it restarted - as usual.

To my horror, the computer no longer posts. I've tried a "shuttle" CMOS reset (holding down insert while powering on etc), didnt work. I also plugged my monitor into the onboard graphics, to see if it had disabled the agp slot or something...didnt work.
I don't know where to turn from here, please help!

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Oh dear god, what have I done??

Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:02 pm

Try putting your old ram back in. It might have changed the timings or something to some setting the new ram doesn't like?

random gerbil
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:02 pm

Hrmm...is there a jumper on the board that clears the cmos? Have you tried clearing it that way? And try powering up with just cpu, 1 stick of ram, onboard graphics and hard drive, see if anything happens.
Does anyone remember laughter?

sativa
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:03 pm

does everything turn on? fans spin/ hard drives spin up. etc..?

you just dont have any monitor signal?
Science is forbidden. Laboratories manufacture danger!

mikehodges2
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:08 pm

Corrado: Will do,

random gerbil: There is no jumper on the SN41G2, you have to hold insert as you you press power, then it resets the CMOS to defaults, although its defaults that arent working!!

sativa: Yes, all fans come on, i hear a short hdd click (though the light doesnt flash, cant remember if it used to though), that it normally makes just after it finished POST and starts booting.

mikehodges2
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:18 pm

Ahhhh, of course!! The corsair ram boots automatically at its optimal speed, ie, 2-5-2-2 @DDR400, Where my proc is meant to be on a 333MHz FSB. So, when reseting the BIOS, it automatically sets the FSB to 400MHz ddr, despite the processor not being able to post at that speed...

While I can get a fairly good OC out of the athlon, 2.5GHz is too much to ask - i'll jus have to settle for 2.4 :). That said, finding the sweet spot is gonna be tricky though, as if i get it wrong, i'll have to swap out the RAM to reset the bios...garbage!

Thanks for help guys...I guess i just panicked :oops: